Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New 5 Sat. Location DTV Dish (unoficial until seen as wel all know)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of DirecTV's New 5 Satellite Dish? (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of DirecTV's New 5 Satellite Dish?

1. I Like It! (7 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. It's all Right... (12 votes [15.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.58%

3. Don't Like It! (17 votes [22.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.08%

4. Who cares as long as I get more channels. (41 votes [53.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.25%

Vote

#21 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:01 AM

On one hand, current 5x8s are configured to access three positions. Whatever signals are generated by the new receivers to access 99 and 103 will not be generated by present 5x8s so would have to be of a type that are passed through. Not even the 72.5 and 95 degree positions in present use for some local and foreign language programming will work with present 5x8s.

On the other hand, the new dishes are said to have 4 outputs so it isn't impossible. If the 99 and 103 LNBs just use different frequencies which will work with present equipment, a passthru scenario is possible. Tone or no tone could be used to differentiate between those two.

Now I'll slap my wrist for participating in the conjecture.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,287 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:00 PM

The dish (prototype ?) have 4 LNBFs, not five ! If 2 degree spacing between 99W and 101W allowed to have 2 LNB with common feedhorn, then next LNBF is for 102.8W, and last LNBF CAN pickup only ONE satellite - 110W, with the seen space between third and fourth. Since 9 degree between 110W and 119W required bigger gap then between 102.8W and 110W, the config will NEVER pickup 119W. Pay attention to four cables out and no external switch visible.

#23 OFFLINE   Tebbens

Tebbens

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:06 PM

Any idea on the size and gain of the new dish ?

Hopefully there will be a GainMaster version of this dish.
I don't want to install 5 seperate large dishes to stop rain fade.

I'm also curious why so many satellites, why not one super-satellite ?
What limits the amount of channels on one satellite...why not make
1 or 2 super-satellites ?

#24 OFFLINE   greywolf520

greywolf520

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:34 AM

My guess on why not one sat would be, would you want to have just one sat handling everything. It's like having a TV/VCR combo, yeah, it saves space but if one part goes bad...

#25 OFFLINE   lovswr

lovswr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:18 AM

launch weight & actual power of the TWT's. I don't know about the DBS birds, but the DSCS-II/III/ MILSTAR birds only put out somehting like 40 W per wide area horn. The spots are some smaller number. Mind you this is Gigahertz freqs, but still... Our old OE-222 amps (65 dBM at max power each & 68dBM in 'back-to back' mode) weighed about 5000lb pounds each. I know that the newer air coolled TWT's are much smaller, but not that much

Also putting all your eggs in one super sized bird (or two) & then having it fail would be finnacial ruin. The company that I work for now makes a pretty penny with all of the diverse circuits that we provide & the customers are happy to pay for it.

#26 OFFLINE   jdk

jdk

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:55 PM

Let's not confuse physical satellites in the sky with the satellite-parking slots above the equator. Of course, they're related - a physical satellite must sit in that slot in the sky...

But, I believe the original question might be more clearly asked "why can't DirecTV just use one satellite slot, and then we'd just need a simple dish?"

Theoretically, they could. The satellite size and weight issue doesn't apply, as they'd just launch several satellites and all park them at the 101, main slot. In fact that's what happens now. If you have a "one satellite dish" for DirecTV pointed just at 101, you're actually getting signal from 3-4 different satellites in the sky, all sitting at the 101 slot.

So why can't DirecTV just park its recently launched satellites at 101, fire them up, and we wouldn't need to do anything, besides tune into all that new HD programming?

Due to international treaties that the FCC enforces, there's a limited set of frequencies that DirecTV is allowed to use at any satellite slot. DirecTV has now filled all of its licensed frequencies at the 101, 110 and 119 slots - and there's no more free frequencies at these slots available from the FCC ( one guess as to who has 'em, and isn't going to give them up). You current "three satellite" dish can only see the satellites sitting at the 101,110 & 119 slots.

So to add new programming, DirecTV is moving to some new satellite slots that they have licenses from the FCC to use, but are currently unused. So we must get new dishes to see these new slots.

(now if someone wants to go into Ka transmissions and MPEG4 - feel free)

#27 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,654 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:34 AM

Let's not confuse physical satellites in the sky with the satellite-parking slots above the equator. Of course, they're related - a physical satellite must sit in that slot in the sky...

But, I believe the original question might be more clearly asked "why can't DirecTV just use one satellite slot, and then we'd just need a simple dish?"

Theoretically, they could. The satellite size and weight issue doesn't apply, as they'd just launch several satellites and all park them at the 101, main slot. In fact that's what happens now. If you have a "one satellite dish" for DirecTV pointed just at 101, you're actually getting signal from 3-4 different satellites in the sky, all sitting at the 101 slot.

So why can't DirecTV just park its recently launched satellites at 101, fire them up, and we wouldn't need to do anything, besides tune into all that new HD programming?

Due to international treaties that the FCC enforces, there's a limited set of frequencies that DirecTV is allowed to use at any satellite slot. DirecTV has now filled all of its licensed frequencies at the 101, 110 and 119 slots - and there's no more free frequencies at these slots available from the FCC ( one guess as to who has 'em, and isn't going to give them up). You current "three satellite" dish can only see the satellites sitting at the 101,110 & 119 slots.

So to add new programming, DirecTV is moving to some new satellite slots that they have licenses from the FCC to use, but are currently unused. So we must get new dishes to see these new slots.

(now if someone wants to go into Ka transmissions and MPEG4 - feel free)

I guess its time for the FCC to free up some more bandwidth for the satellite companys.

So why can't D* and E* park some more satellites at the 110 and 119 slots, or are they full too? How many do they have there now?

#28 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 10:01 AM

http://www.lyngsat.com/119west.html shows the content of the 119 position occupied by the satellites Echostar 7 and DirecTV 7S

http://www.lyngsat.com/110west.html shows the content of the 110 position occupied by the satellites Echostar 6 Echostar 8 and DirecTV 6

#29 OFFLINE   jdk

jdk

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:21 AM

I guess its time for the FCC to free up some more bandwidth for the satellite companys.

So why can't D* and E* park some more satellites at the 110 and 119 slots, or are they full too? How many do they have there now?

There are no more Ku frequencies (what your LNB and receiver uses right now) for the FCC to hand out at the 101, 110 and 119 slot. They've all been spoken for and in use by DirecTV and Dish.

More satellites could be parked there, but they couldn't transmit anything as there's no frequencies available for them to transmit on*

* actually, at the 101 slot there ARE frequencies available, but they're in a different band that your current setup is able to receive and decode. DirecTV will most likely use them as part of this new rollout. However, these frequencies are not compatible with your current LNB (and maybe your multiswitch and receiver), so just another reason why you'll need a new dish.

#30 OFFLINE   Tebbens

Tebbens

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:59 PM

Some good news from Spaun regarding the new directv satellites!

---------------------------------------------

Mathew,

Currently, Spaun does not offer a switch that will distribute the 95W or 72.5W. The only option currently available is a Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch.

In the future, we will have a multiswitch that will distribute DirecTV's new satellites utilizing the MPEG4.

Thank you and I will let you know when the new product is available.

Gina Carbone
Spaun/USA

#31 OFFLINE   ahrjmr

ahrjmr

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:04 PM

Here is a link to web site that shows you video on how the new 5 LNB dish is installed.
http://www.solidsign...tall_videos.asp

spam firewall