Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NFL blackout on ESPN?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnVT

JohnVT

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:19 PM

ok - I really care more about the Saints game, which appears to be staying on ABC, but if I tune to 206, ESPN, I get a "blackout" message...
Why is the Dallas/Washington game blacked out in Vermont?
Is this a mistake?
:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:44 PM

That game should be on ABC once the Saints game moves to ESPN. Not sure how to answer your question....maybe because the people in NY and the gulf coast area are still going to get the saints game.
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#3 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:19 AM

This sucked. I was psyched to watch the game in HD when it switched to ESPN (No OTA antenna yet). Uh uh. ESPN blackout in NY. CMon guys. You own both stations.

Oh well, at least my GMen won the game. I agree it was rough for the Saints as we get basically 9 home games this year. (Local fans were giddy as it was the first time in 40 years people could walk up to the box office and get tickets for a game on the SAME DAY - just about every seat belongs to a season ticket holder)
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:22 PM

Aren't blackout rules established by the NFL and the networks simply do follow the rule? I'm sure networks would LOVE to air every game they could since it would give them great ad revenues.

#5 OFFLINE   Ken Howe

Ken Howe

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:21 PM

the off air antenna is only 150 at the door bro, go get it. ^_^
A woman at a state dinner walks up to Winston Churchill and states "Sir, you are drunk!" :goodjob: Not missing a beat, he retorts, "And you are Ugly, but in the morning, I will wake up sober!" !rolling

#6 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, but it's the roof mount to the chimney, home run pulls (80 ft. AFTER I get it to the basement), and the ugly factor. Right now my dishes are mounted on the roof, aiming up and they can't be seen from the front yard. That changes with the 1958 looking antenna......

GUARANTEED the day after I install it, Charlie turns on HD feeds from New York.....
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:23 PM

I was looking forward to the switch to ESPN also, being the signal here was out more than it was in.

#8 OFFLINE   JohnVT

JohnVT

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:13 PM

so the Saints/Giants stayed on ABC, and ESPN told me whatever was supposed to be there was blacked out. What did happen?
I didn't mind being able to see all of the Saints/Giants, but who saw the Cowboys/Redskins?

#9 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:24 PM

The Saints went to ESPN. Certain areas of the country kept the game on ABC, I believe the Gulf Coast but I'm not 100% sure.

I got both games - Saints on ESPN and Cowboys on ABC
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#10 OFFLINE   JohnVT

JohnVT

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:46 PM

thanks -
I was just curious. The Saints stayed on ABC in Burlington, Vermont...
And when I tried a few times, ESPN was blank with the blackout message.

oh well.

#11 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:04 PM

thanks -
I was just curious. The Saints stayed on ABC in Burlington, Vermont...
And when I tried a few times, ESPN was blank with the blackout message.

oh well.

Your local station screwed up (unless Burlington is a part of the Giants territory). Did you check the ESPN Alt. feed? One or the other (i.e. ESPN or ESPN Alt.) was to be available via sat to everyone.

If your local station is in the Giants or Saints area then "regular" MNF game (Wash at Dal) was to be in the clear on ESPN. If your local station had the regular game ESPN was balcked out - forcing you to watch your local ABC.

The goofy thing is - for the majority of the country you had to change channels half-way through the game to catch it all (the beginning of the NYG/NO Saints game was on ABC the ending was on ESPN). Only stations in the 2 market areas stayed with the early game all the way through.

This was not very well thought out, but at least it gave everyone a choice of games to watch.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

spam firewall