Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HDLite?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris2

Chris2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:54 PM

What is it and why would you want HDLite?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:16 PM

Assuming this is not a satirical or rhetorical question, HDLite is down rezzed and/or bit starved high definition telecasts lacking that WOW factor and POP in picture quality that we HD fanatics want to see in HD telecasts. (Some say that DirecTV is especially notorious in transmitting HDLite, but true HD fanatics don't discriminate among guilty providers.)

You would want it if you aren't a true HD fanatic and you value quantity over quality

#3 OFFLINE   Chris2

Chris2

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:52 AM

Assuming this is not a satirical or rhetorical question, HDLite is down rezzed and/or bit starved high definition telecasts lacking that WOW factor and POP in picture quality that we HD fanatics want to see in HD telecasts. (Some say that DirecTV is especially notorious in transmitting HDLite, but true HD fanatics don't discriminate among guilty providers.)

You would want it if you aren't a true HD fanatic and you value quantity over quality

I don't see what the point of it is that's like watching HD on a black and white TV. How do you make sure you don't get it? Or is all directvs HD like that?

#4 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:11 AM

I'd still rather watch HDLite than standard definition. Bandwidth should increase after the conversion to MPEG-4.

#5 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:58 AM

I don't see what the point of it is that's like watching HD on a black and white TV. How do you make sure you don't get it? Or is all directvs HD like that?

The point of it is that D* or any other provider can cram more TV into smaller spaces (locals guys do it when they broadcast a bunch of channels over the same frequency - multicasting).

You really can't make sure they don't do it. Well, I guess you could take over news corp. and then you might have a say. The only thing I can think of is call in and complain...then wait for MPEG4 conversion. Man, if MPEG4 doesn't fix it there will be a lot of unhappy campers.

Pretty much all D* HD is "HD Lite". I understand they have bumped up some of the channels but I'm pretty sure they compress the living day lights out of most of them.

Oh, and what Durl said - 100%!!
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#6 OFFLINE   Chris2

Chris2

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:26 AM

Why do they bother to have HD then when it's not really true HD? The picture might be a little better but it's not the way it was ment to be seen! I woudn't pay for that crap.

#7 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:56 AM

E* has true HD. :)

#8 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:09 AM

Why do they bother to have HD then when it's not really true HD? The picture might be a little better but it's not the way it was ment to be seen! I woudn't pay for that crap.

I would guess that it has something to do with people wanting more HD but there not being enough satellite to put those channels on. When the new MPEG4 stuff starts coming out that should take care of the problem and there should be plenty of room to grow.

I can't say what dish has. I don't read the threads or own any dish equipment. I will ask though, what does dish have planned for the future? More whining before congress about having to provide locals or are they actually going to man up and start doing something?
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#9 OFFLINE   Chris2

Chris2

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:15 AM

They should tell people they are doing it you are paying for HD not something less.

btw who is E*

#10 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:21 AM

They should tell people they are doing it you are paying for HD not something less.

btw who is E*

E* = echostar = dish network

D* = directv
N8

#11 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:51 AM

Chris2 - just my two cents -

Why don't you judge with your own eyes. Find a friend or coworker who currently has D*'s HD. Have them switch back and forth on a channel that is being broadcast in both SD and HD. It is not like watching on a black and white TV. The improvement is absolutely stunning. If you have the ability to receive HD through cable, you might want to compare that also.
"But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to."
Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac

#12 OFFLINE   tds4182

tds4182

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 02:54 PM

E* has true HD. :)

That's not all they have.

Why don't you ask the 921 owners how much they like E*'s HD offerings (when they can get their machines to work)?

#13 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:56 AM

That's not all they have.

Why don't you ask the 921 owners how much they like E*'s HD offerings (when they can get their machines to work)?

Don't care about the 921. My 942 can record 3, yes 3, HD programs at one time while I watch a 4th already recorded. :) All this in True beautiful High Definition. Sure, I have read the 921 horror stories, but that is irrelevant to new subscribers who can get truly stable and state of the art receivers with quality HD to match.

#14 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:15 AM

Don't care about the 921. My 942 can record 3, yes 3, HD programs at one time while I watch a 4th already recorded. :) All this in True beautiful High Definition. Sure, I have read the 921 horror stories, but that is irrelevant to new subscribers who can get truly stable and state of the art receivers with quality HD to match.

But only 1 OTA channel. With D* you can record 2 OTA channels.

#15 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:19 AM

But only 1 OTA channel. With D* you can record 2 OTA channels.

You need that 2nd OTA tuner with D* because you sure won't get quality HD from the SATS.

#16 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:24 AM

You need that 2nd OTA tuner with D* because you sure won't get quality HD from the SATS.

No. Because just maybe I watch more network programming. I think most others do too. This has nothing to do with HD quality on the SATS.

#17 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:36 AM

No. Because just maybe I watch more network programming. I think most others do too. This has nothing to do with HD quality on the SATS.

Ok, I'll give you that one. Yes, it would be nice if the 942 had a 2nd OTA tuner. I made the mistake of taping the Apprentice last night OTA and CSI from the SAT. Turns out the Donald didn't master his show in Widescreen HD so I wasted the OTA tuner on the wrong program. Still, my original point that E* has much better HD than D* is still valid. Maybe that will change when the MPEG4 business gets worked out.

#18 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:40 AM

Ok, I'll give you that one. Yes, it would be nice if the 942 had a 2nd OTA tuner. I made the mistake of taping the Apprentice last night OTA and CSI from the SAT. Turns out the Donald didn't master his show in Widescreen HD so I wasted the OTA tuner on the wrong program. Still, my original point that E* has much better HD than D* is still valid. Maybe that will change when the MPEG4 business gets worked out.

Agreed.

#19 OFFLINE   stevendsnyder

stevendsnyder

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCincinnati,OH

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:14 PM

There was a link in another thread a few months back that gave the bit ratings for the various HD stations on D* and E*. I don't have that link any more, but maybe someone else still has it.

#20 OFFLINE   stevendsnyder

stevendsnyder

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCincinnati,OH

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:21 PM

I just found the link: http://www.widemovie...dfwbitrate.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...