Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Espn U

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dan9

Dan9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:59 PM

I was just wondering if Directv will ever add ESPN U to it's total choice or total choice plus package? The reason why I'm wondering is, because Dish Network just added it as part of their Top 180. Why should we as Directv customers have to order the Sports pack just to get this channel and CSTV when you can get these same channels as part of a basic package on Dish Network?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:56 PM

Trade ya! :D

I want ESPN U NFL and CSTV on the sports pack! I will no watch these channels and they are relatively VERY expensive.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#3 OFFLINE   DS0816

DS0816

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:36 AM

I think the answer is yes, because this happened with the Speed Channel, Outdoor Life Network, and the Golf Channel. And it's a matter of time before Outdoor Channel and ESPNU are traded to the Total Choice and/or Total Choice Plus tiers. DirecTV's just fiddling around now, still attempting to make it sound as though the Sports pack -- for a mere $12 more per month -- is enticing enough for folks to go ahead and upgrade. It doesn't work with me.

#4 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:34 AM

Why should we as Directv customers have to order the Sports pack just to get this channel and CSTV when you can get these same channels as part of a basic package on Dish Network?

Since when is AT180 a "basic package"? It has quite a few movie channels in it. So, side by side:

Dish Network's AT180 w/ local channels is $52.99
DirecTV's TC+ w/ local channels is $45.99.

You'd be paying $7 more per month for the right to view CSTV and ESPNU on Dish Network. And at that point, the sports pack wouldn't necessarily be a bad add on DirecTV, because you'd then get some of the college games on RSN's that don't make it onto ESPN game plan.

#5 OFFLINE   Dan9

Dan9

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:06 AM

Since when is AT180 a "basic package"? It has quite a few movie channels in it. So, side by side:

Dish Network's AT180 w/ local channels is $52.99
DirecTV's TC+ w/ local channels is $45.99.

You'd be paying $7 more per month for the right to view CSTV and ESPNU on Dish Network. And at that point, the sports pack wouldn't necessarily be a bad add on DirecTV, because you'd then get some of the college games on RSN's that don't make it onto ESPN game plan.

It's a "basic package" to me because about 70 channels of the "Top 180" are music channels.

#6 OFFLINE   SnowFade

SnowFade

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:22 AM

It's also important to remember that if channel lineups were identical, there would be essentially no competition. The two companies are always going to be jockeying around for more subscribers, so if Dish feels it can offer sports fans something "cheaper" than DirecTV, they'll run with it. Conversely, if DirecTV doesn't feel it will gain a significant amount of subs by making ESPN U non-premium, they won't.

As always, it's all about the $$$.
Don't! Get! Eliminated!

#7 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:54 AM

[AT180 is] a "basic package" to me because about 70 channels of the "Top 180" are music channels.

Fine. But AT180 costs $7 a month more than TC+. So, if you want this "basic package" on Dish Network, you'll pay more than you are currently paying on DirecTV. You'd be paying a little less with Dish Network's AT180 than if you picked up a subscription to DirecTV's Sports Pack.

On either provider, ESPNU is in an "add-on" tier, and you will pay dearly for it. Wait for the next round of ESPN/DirecTV carriage talks. I'd bet that ESPNU ends up in Total Choice Plus. If you can't wait that long, I'd consider switching.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...