Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Standard Definition on big screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:37 PM

I just connected my standard resolution DTV to a new Sharp 37 inch LCD HDTV. The normal picture clarity offered by DTV, especially background detail, is not really that good on a standard definition TV but that situation is exasperated on the big screen LCD. The picture clarity is horrible!

I have tried several viewing modes and didn't find any to be satisfactory. I am currently watching a mode that appears to fit the picture width but crops the top and bottom. What is the best viewing compromise?

--- CHAS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 02:37 PM

Can you change the receiver output? On my HD TiVo I can change what mode the receiver outputs to the TV. You might have it set to output 1080i or 720p when you are watching 480i programming. See if that gets you what you need. The SD on D* once you start watching HD is almost unwatchable, though.
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:13 PM

Also reduce the brightness, contrast and sharpness settings. These are factory set way too high and can exacerbate PQ.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   dgordo

dgordo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:16 AM

The problem with using any larger HD TV with a SD feed is that so much more detail is shown. D* and pretty much all providers optimize their picture for a 27inch SD TV. Any TV bigger then that shows a lot of issues. I have tried D*, E* and comcast and none of them is much better then any of the others. As more people get HD TV's that are bigger I believe that the providers will have to improve the quality.

#5 OFFLINE   SnowFade

SnowFade

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:25 AM

I recently upgraded from a 27" to a 36" and really started to notice a PQ issue, especially on my local channels. Channels from the 101 satellite are still pretty good, but my locals from 119 are quite poor, especially with rapid motion (like sports every weekend). I'm hoping the situation will improve with the new satellites removing some of the need for compression.
Don't! Get! Eliminated!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...