Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cover, Heater, Rain X ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Fuch

Fuch

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:06 PM

I have a problem in the winter I usually have to get on the roof three or four times to get light snow or ice of my dish. What is my easiest solution.

Thanks Dennis
Dennis

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:54 PM

Someone mentioned WD-40 but since we see snow in the south once ever decade I couldn't really tell you. Search WD-40 and see what you get.
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#3 OFFLINE   in0cul4t1on

in0cul4t1on

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:54 PM

Assuming you have a Dish 500 you could get a heater for the dish pretty easily. A quick search on google turned up a few results ranging in the price of 50-110$. Rain X is not going to do much since the material is so coarse. And the covers in my opinion don't do anything more than keep the lnb from fading in color. If you are thinking about getting a heater, some of the pricing can get upwards of a 100$ which at the point would make sense just to get the dish mounted closer to the ground (If possible do to Line of Site). I think dish/directv can do reinstall for around 99$. Or you could always head to a local retailer.

Search cirteria I used in google was
20" SATELLITE DISH HEATER

#4 OFFLINE   Robert Headley

Robert Headley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 03:56 AM

I have been told spraying Pam cooking spray on your dish will keep it from accumulating snow.

#5 OFFLINE   NVBlue

NVBlue

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 01:32 PM

I tried a dish cover and had awful results with snow build up. Pam and WD40 attract dirt. If you were to try a spray I would try silicone. But my solution is a black garbage (bin) bag - Hefty is my preferred type. I've used it for several years and it works the best for me. When I start to lose picture all I do is shake the snow off the garbage bag. I live in the Sierras and get 4 to 6 feet (yes - feet!) of snow with each storm. The garbage bag does NOT interfere with the D* dish reception.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...