Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Signal Splitting and associated problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   uwahusky

uwahusky

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:29 PM

I used a signal splitter to split one coax cable signal out to two receivers. The problem I'm seeing after doing this is that both TVs that are receiving the split signal do not receive some channels. :confused:

Prior to the split, they received all the expected channels, now they are not receiving certain channels and it's pretty much the same for both TV sets.

I bought a signal amplifier and put it on the signal coming from the dish, prior to the signal splitter but it didn't change anything.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:18 PM

I used a signal splitter to split one coax cable signal out to two receivers. The problem I'm seeing after doing this is that both TVs that are receiving the split signal do not receive some channels. :confused:

Prior to the split, they received all the expected channels, now they are not receiving certain channels and it's pretty much the same for both TV sets.

I bought a signal amplifier and put it on the signal coming from the dish, prior to the signal splitter but it didn't change anything.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY POSTS THERE ARE BUT YOU CANNOT USE A SIGNAL SPLITTER WITH SATELLITE TV!!!!!! You must run a cable directly from the satellite dish to each satellite receiver, or from a MULTISWITCH to the satellite receiver. :( :( :(

#3 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:22 PM

The communication between Sat tuner and dish is 2 way. The tuner sends a 13V signal to select odd transponders, 18V for even. An 18V and a 13V signal cannot be sent over the same cable at the same time. If you add a multiswitch, it still must have two lines from the dish to be able to switch attached receivers to the proper line.

#4 OFFLINE   uwahusky

uwahusky

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:58 PM

Based on what you're telling me, what is my best option?

My current set up has 4 lines coming from my Triple LNB dish in to the house. Two of those lines are being routed to my DirecTivo so I can have utilize the dual tuner ability.

The other 2 (of the 4) lines can then be used however I see fit. Right now, one is dedicated to a single tuner and the other is being split as I discussed.

I'm not sure what a mult-switch is. Perhaps you could point me to a link to buy one and give me some information on how to use it so I can run my dual tuner Tivo and 3 other TV sets, if that's possible.

#5 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:01 PM

Based on what you're telling me, what is my best option?

My current set up has 4 lines coming from my Triple LNB dish in to the house. Two of those lines are being routed to my DirecTivo so I can have utilize the dual tuner ability.

The other 2 (of the 4) lines can then be used however I see fit. Right now, one is dedicated to a single tuner and the other is being split as I discussed.

I'm not sure what a mult-switch is. Perhaps you could point me to a link to buy one and give me some information on how to use it so I can run my dual tuner Tivo and 3 other TV sets, if that's possible.

you can do as you see fit but it won't work---as you have seen.

Do search on multisweitches and switches. You will learn a lot.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#6 OFFLINE   uwahusky

uwahusky

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:12 PM

So there is now way to run 5 television sets / receivers with one triple LNB dish?

#7 OFFLINE   benjaminmarle

benjaminmarle

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

You need a 8-way integrated multiswitch. With that you can run up to 8 TV's depending on what recievers you have.

#8 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:19 PM

A 4x8 multiswitch, or 5x8 if an antenna for OTA is included, will provide up to 8 outputs. 4 lines from the dish to the multiswitch are required. Two examples are at http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/ with a wiring diagram available if you click either one. All the 4x8s or 5x8s work fine so feel free to shop for price. Powered switches provide a small amount of amplification to help with the splits though.

The 2 sat line input types are only good for the SD receivers that only need to access the bird at 101, Sat A.

#9 OFFLINE   dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 04:27 AM

or you could use a 6X8 multiswitch which does not require power, whereas the 4X8 does.
DNSC_Installer

We get it up, We get it in, We get it on.....

#10 OFFLINE   uwahusky

uwahusky

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:24 AM

Thanks everyone for the help! I'll be purchasing a multi-switch here ASAP.

spam firewall