Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:55 PM

I got a question for some knowledgable people. Some in the forum on DirecTV's page asked about what is going to happen when the local channels go digital. I know the question may seem a bit odd, I'm not sure if I understand it completely. Someone replied saying that DirecTV is going to be launching new satellites for the whole local digital channel thing and that customers should be looking for specials on new equipment offers. My question is, can anyone figure out what exactly this person was aking because it got my curiosity spiked and I wonder if it will affect me in any way. My particular situation (satellite setup) is that I have one round single LNB dish and I get my local channels through the same satellite as the rest of the channels. Anyone have any info? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:28 PM

SB,

From what I understand, and others please correct me:

The new satellites are for the delivery of your local stations in HD to your home as well as additional HD channels as they become available. There is a new technology (MPEG4) that they will be using and this also will require a new dish and a new receiver. D* will be swapping the 12 largest markets initially: current HD customers first, then DVR customers and then SD customers.

I hope this somewhat helps.
"But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to."
Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac

#3 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:45 PM

SB,

From what I understand, and others please correct me:

The new satellites are for the delivery of your local stations in HD to your home as well as additional HD channels as they become available. There is a new technology (MPEG4) that they will be using and this also will require a new dish and a new receiver. D* will be swapping the 12 largest markets initially: current HD customers first, then DVR customers and then SD customers.

I hope this somewhat helps.

Even SD customers? I don't subscribe to any HD television, just the regular. Is this because of the new compression that they will be using with their entire service? Assuming it is, does that mean that they will come out and replace the receivers? And also the dish? I got the standard round dish.

#4 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 04:49 AM

Yes, my understanding is that even SD customers will have to be switched to a new larger oval dish and a new receiver.

A discussion of the new dish is here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=46087

#5 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:58 AM

SD programming will surely be the last to change so we're probably talking about years here.

#6 OFFLINE   grandprixgtp02

grandprixgtp02

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:40 PM

Where is the list of the order of markets getting locals in HD??

#7 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:27 PM

From http://www.directv.c...?id=01-06-2005A

The first group of DMAs to receive local HD channels is: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Detroit, Houston and Tampa. These markets represent nearly 36 million homes or 32.8 percent of all U.S. TV households. Additional markets to receive local HD programming this year will be announced at a later date. Today, DIRECTV offers local channels in standard definition in 130 markets, including these 12 markets.

#8 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:32 PM

Also Robert reported here that Detroit will start in Oct with the other 11 in Nov.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...