Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

? about ghost-like images around people on screen...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DiamondD

DiamondD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:39 PM

Really noticeable tonight.
Was watching the LSU/UT game and flipping between Monday Night Football and the college game.
I noticed ghost-like images around the players.
Kind of like what you see when blacktop gets real hot and the heat coming off of it.
AS I looked closer it kind of spread off from the ticker at the bottom as well.
In addition, I flipped over to FOX News and during the Hannity & Colmes show, I noticed that the picture wasn't real clear.
For example, when you look at their sports coat it looked like in spots someone had used chalk to color in their jacket. Wasn't real clear.
I checked connections and all seemed well. Signal strength was 92.
I called tech support and went through the reset and such and nothing really helped.
On another TV the picture is real good. Both are standard TV sets.
Any idea what could cause that issue?
Any remedies?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:20 PM

That is a good description of edge enhancement. It can be added to the picture at the broadcast level or at the TV. It's meant to better separate the different colors in the image to define them better in an average TV. It can look really bad in larger TVs especially with digital signals because the separation lines themselves can be seen whereas they get lost in an analog OTA picture. There is nothing you can do for the broadcast end except to write broadcasters and tell them you have good equipment and EE is a detraction, not an enhancement. On the receiver end, many TVs add their own EE with the sharpness control and the sharpness or detail is often at full blast out of the box. Turn down the sharpness or detail setting to anywhere from 0 to 40 depending on the set. Many sets begin adding EE at 0 but some have a neutral picture at a higher setting and soften the picture below that number. Also turn off any DNR or flesh tone compensators or any of those automatic controls that actually hurt a good image.

For the best picture, get a Digital Video Essentials or Avia DVD to help you calibrate your picture. If the image has red, blue or green edges to contrasting color edges in a CRT set, the color guns are misconverged. That is adjustable in a CRT RPTV but usually a lost cause in a direct view CRT set.

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:50 PM

Actually I thought he was describing ringing or halo effect, which is a byproduct of too much compression on a digital mpeg stream.....anyone want to break the tie and clear this up. I have that effect a little all the time on my 36" SD set....always have...

#4 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:00 PM

While that certainly may be the case, my first thought was sharpness settings because he sees it on one set and not the other. Also, sports event are notorious for EE.

#5 OFFLINE   DiamondD

DiamondD

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:52 PM

I pulled back on the DETAIL setting on the TV set and it did reduce the halo effect to an extent.
No game on tonight to really judge....
Will keep you posted.

#6 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:18 AM

I find I have the same trouble with S.D. material when I view it via my S-Video connection on my SDDTivo. But not when watching S.D. proggraming on my HD set-top box via RGB connection.

spam firewall