Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

when is mpeg4 supposed to start?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kali05

Kali05

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:44 AM

does anyone know when their start using mpeg4 thing?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:10 AM

Dish has not made an official announcement yet. The rumor is late 4th quarter this year or 1st quarter of next year.

#3 OFFLINE   SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:48 AM

We may know some details within 2 weeks at the next Retailer Chat. But since the Charlie Chat is in December or so, we may see the channels around then.

#4 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 09:47 AM

Will they still keep some channels in Mpeg-2, when Mpeg-4 arrives?

Or ALL channels will be switched to Mpeg-4?

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:12 AM

It's just the HD channels at first. They are supposed to add the rest of the VOOM originals when MPEG-4 comes on line.

This is Deja Vu all over again. Those who had a 6000 may remember when they switched for QPSK to 8PSK modulation on the HD channels. Adding MPEG-4 to 8PSK = more channels in HD per transponder.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:44 AM

Will they still keep some channels in Mpeg-2, when Mpeg-4 arrives?

Or ALL channels will be switched to Mpeg-4?

Everything will eventually transition but nothing will be cut off until people have the time to replace the hardware needed to receive MPEG-4.

MPEG-4 seems to be on a sliding schedule. A lot of talk about it last January as if we would be seeing it released now ... but as the year passed we keep hearing later dates. The latest later date mentioned is early 2006.

And before it is asked, nothing has been said about how the equipment will be replaced - so don't assume that E* will require people to buy all new equipment or assume that there will be a free trade out program - it is all speculation! Wait and see.

JL

#7 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:46 AM

OK...But .. what i was asking basically was...

Will NON HD channels - AT 180, Latino(s) , ethnics, PPVs, pr0n, etc - wll those remain in Mpeg-2 format.. or those will be switched to Mpeg-4 as well?

[EDIT] ... i guess after reading JL's post above - i guess eventually all channels will be in Mpeg-4 (including those listed abobe) .. correct?

#8 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:51 AM

OK...But .. what i was asking basically was...

Will NON HD channels - AT 180, Latino(s) , ethnics, PPVs, pr0n, etc - wll those remain in Mpeg-2 format.. or those will be switched to Mpeg-4 as well?

[EDIT] ... i guess after reading JL's post above - i guess eventually all channels will be in Mpeg-4 (including those listed abobe) .. correct?

I think, over time, all channels will migrate to MPEG4. This means changing all existing receivers. I believe both satellite providers are committed to a system using MPEG4. Bandwidth is precious and the move is necessary to stay competitive with cable and, (soon) telcos.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:59 AM

Expect everything to turn to MPEG-4 ... don't expect everything to be MPEG-4 in January.
I'm guessing "by 2008"?

JL

#10 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:28 AM

Expect everything to turn to MPEG-4 ... don't expect everything to be MPEG-4 in January.
I'm guessing "by 2008"?

JL

I'm not sure Dish and Direct can exchange 60 million+ receivers (existing customers only), in less than 3 years.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:22 PM

I'm not worried about DirecTV ... their conversion doesn't change the speed that E* can work. With E* doing their own design and manufacturing they have some independence to work with. Perhaps 2008 is optimistic - by the end of 2010 is more realistic. They cannot convert existing channels to MPEG-4 and turn off the old MPEG-2 until the receivers are swapped out. Until the swap is done all they can do is add new channels in MPEG-4 and convert those who want the new content.

There will probably be some channels that stay on MPEG-2 beyond the point when all AT60 and above E* customers have MPEG-4. Channels where the upgrade cost is higher than the bandwidth cost to leave it at MPEG-2.

JL

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:33 PM

If the MPEG-4 conversion was that close, and was to include all programming, then why did E* just go through a massive card-swap for older receivers? Wouldn't it have made more sense to just swap the old "legacy" IRD's out rather than just the Nagravision cards?

No, a full MPEG-4 deployment is a long way off. With the impending shut-off of analog OTA broadcsting, that might speed things up. The thought is that HDTV adoption will take-off at the same time, and with it a voluntary upgrade to the next generation HD IRD which would be MPEG-4.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:54 PM

Always consider deployment to be two to three years behind development. There were valid reasons to continue with the card swap and it is still going to be years until they can turn off MPEG-2 on all the AT channels and others they want to move to MPEG-4. Just consider the move to MPEG-4 to be the next card swap. :D

JL

#14 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:59 PM

If the MPEG-4 conversion was that close, and was to include all programming, then why did E* just go through a massive card-swap for older receivers? Wouldn't it have made more sense to just swap the old "legacy" IRD's out rather than just the Nagravision cards?

No, a full MPEG-4 deployment is a long way off. With the impending shut-off of analog OTA broadcsting, that might speed things up. The thought is that HDTV adoption will take-off at the same time, and with it a voluntary upgrade to the next generation HD IRD which would be MPEG-4.

It's only relevent if the conversion to HD by the program providers and demand by consumers speed things up. Digital is already done by both D and E. Market pressure is the only thing that will affect change for the sat providers in how they present their programming.

#15 OFFLINE   garypen

garypen

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 01:39 AM

I just wanna know what the hell happened to MPEG3.

Originally posted by WeeJavaDude
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Jacob S
I have to agree with Gary.
Originally posted by Randall DBS
Yep you know it. I have to agree with Gary.

#16 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 05:36 AM

Still birth.....

Ken

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:57 AM

It works great for audio ... well not always great. It depends on what compression is used within the MP3 files.

The motion picture experts group has standards for more than just live video services.

JL

#18 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:29 AM

MP3 is not MPEG3, it is MPEG1, audio layer 3.

I'm also inclined to think the MPEG4 switchover is farther out that we thought when it was first announced. New HD channels were supposed to be MPEG4 but Voom was added as MPEG2 and more are in testing. If it were imminent it would have been at least mentioned on the last Tech Forum.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:52 AM

MP3 is not MPEG3, it is MPEG1, audio layer 3.

It is also the Moving Picture Experts Group - guess I'm not awake yet. :D I wonder if they skipped MPEG3 to avoid conflict with MPEG-L3? There are a lot of sites out there calling MP3's "MPEG3".

I'm also inclined to think the MPEG4 switchover is farther out that we thought when it was first announced.

That goes without saying as we are already past the time expected when we first heard of MPEG4. Voom in MPEG2 didn't surprise me. It was more of an effort to keep Voom alive to have a product to sell when MPEG4 arrives. Allowing the Voom channels to die completely would have killed the momentum that the service had. The location on 61.5 didn't do E* any harm and as they charge for the additional dish and hardware and require the core HD service before adding they probably didn't lose money on the deal.

Voom on 129 is interesting and perhaps a clue that MPEG4 isn't 'soon' but I see it as more of an attempt to help the "extra locals" move from 61.5 to 129 than the side effect of expanding Voom to the left coast. E* does need to put the CBS-HDs and HD Test channel there to complete the move.

JL

#20 OFFLINE   jsuboh

jsuboh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:40 PM

Would it be safe to assume that the new Mpeg4 Receivers will be Mpeg2 Compatible?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...