Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

when is mpeg4 supposed to start?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:03 PM

The 921 AND the 942 should be of equal priority. Their owners are the best customers, and should be treated as such.

DISH would never give the 921 top priority because that would be admiting they made a mistake.

Charlie stated in a Chat, that the first folks that would be swapped out would be those that had HD from Dish, as that was the main reason too switch to MP4.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,189 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:57 PM

It seems like they would go for the HD first, partly because HD needs more bandwidth and MPEG4 helps with that... and partly because the HD adopters tend to be more willing to spend money on the new tech.

Now, I'm in that weird limbo... because I was ok paying a lot for my muffler (old commercial) when I bought the 6000u I currently use... so I'm less inclined to bite again unless I'm given a good upgrade.

I figure I'll wait it out, unless they add a dozen "must-see-TV" HD channels all of a sudden in MPEG4 that I can't live without.

#53 OFFLINE   thxultra

thxultra

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:59 AM

If I have to buy new hardware I see myself going cable, the on demand features and no equipment to buy would win me over at this point. I have been very happy with dish so far but would be mad if I had to buy new hardware to keep my current programming.

#54 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:46 AM

At this point for me, the most compelling HD is available OTA. Now that the new network season has started, I haven't watched anything on Voom in three weeks. I don't think I will be in the crowd that pays +$500 to upgrade my 6000 to a new Mpeg 4 receiver. I would spend a couple hundred to upgrade to an HD PVR but that is about it. If I don't upgrade, my 6000 will likely be worth mousenuts on ebay.

..Doyle

#55 OFFLINE   TechnoCat

TechnoCat

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:20 PM

At this point for me, the most compelling HD is available OTA.

When the wife and I contemplated the HD upgrade to our Dish, we reviewed what we watch. We're in the Seattle market, which has quite a few local stations. But none of our watching is OTA. We did watch Andromeda and Enterprise for a while, but everything else is on one of the following:
  • Comedy Channel
  • ABC Family Channel (Whose Line)
  • ESPN
  • SciFi Channel
  • Fox News / CNN
  • Fox Northwest Sports
  • Discovery
  • TNT/TBS/AMC
  • Sirius Radio (Hair Nation and Broadway Tunes mostly)
In some areas, TBS/TNT are OTA, but not here. The only exception to all this is that rarely I might, should I be surfing past, stop on a local team playing a game for a bit. But I don't do that more than a few times a year.
So for us, OTA HDTV would be utterly worthless. Plus we're far enough away, around some hills and surrounded by large trees, that it's unlikely. And the cable company for our area was still struggling to master analog; HDTV is not on their menu. But quite frankly we just don't find network television compelling.

#56 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:59 PM

Of the stations on your list, Discovery, ESPN and TNT are the only ones that have any HD content. So did you decide to go with HD or wait until more stations you are interested in are available?

I have to admit, I am hooked on a number of the network drama series. ...Lost, 24, Boston Legal, Prison Break along with Over There on FX and wish it was in HD.

..Doyle

#57 OFFLINE   jimbos

jimbos

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:21 AM

I just wanna know what the hell happened to MPEG3.

The same thing that happened to B-cell batteries...

#58 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:42 AM

From Wikipedia-
MPEG-3 is the designation for a group of audio and video coding standards agreed upon by MPEG (Moving Picture Experts Group). MPEG-3 was designed to handle HDTV signals in the range of 20 to 40 Mbit/s.
It was soon discovered that similar results could be obtained through slight modifications to the MPEG-2 standard. Shortly thereafter, work on MPEG-3 was discontinued.
MPEG-3 should not be confused with MPEG-1 Part 3 Layer 3 (or MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3), commonly referred to as MP3.

..Doyle

#59 OFFLINE   TechnoCat

TechnoCat

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:45 AM

Of the stations on your list, Discovery, ESPN and TNT are the only ones that have any HD content. So did you decide to go with HD or wait until more stations you are interested in are available?

We went with HD. We get HBO in HD also, not for everything but for enough. And HDNet is really cool; Hogan's Heros in HD is pretty stunning.

I don't think we'd notice the difference with the Sirius music channels though. :hurah:

#60 OFFLINE   saweetnesstrev

saweetnesstrev

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:49 AM

What codec will the MPEG-4 be? H.264?? Also, im buying a HD Receiver, should i hold off? ty (im new also) :P ty trev

#61 OFFLINE   saweetnesstrev

saweetnesstrev

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:11 AM

bump no one even greeted me for joining :(

#62 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:13 AM

Welcome aboard. You may not have been noticed as it looks like your first posts were in this thread which had pretty much run its course. Fairly wide variety of interests here. The search engine can answer a lot of your questions as most topics have been hashed over a number of times. Whether you hold off on buying an HD receiver is an interesting question. Lots of dialog going on now as to when D* will actually roll out its first Mpeg 4 receivers and what kind of trade in plans they will have. Most feel that there will be nothing substantial until sometime after the first of the year.

..Doyle

#63 OFFLINE   EJP

EJP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:49 AM

I just noticed on the d* hd thread that d* is going to upgrade to MPEG-4 for free.

#64 OFFLINE   saweetnesstrev

saweetnesstrev

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:07 AM

Ok thanks so much :) me nub :(

#65 OFFLINE   JimFunk

JimFunk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:51 PM

At this point for me, the most compelling HD is available OTA. Now that the new network season has started, I haven't watched anything on Voom in three weeks. I don't think I will be in the crowd that pays +$500 to upgrade my 6000 to a new Mpeg 4 receiver. I would spend a couple hundred to upgrade to an HD PVR but that is about it. If I don't upgrade, my 6000 will likely be worth mousenuts on ebay.

..Doyle

I have a question. You know how the 6000 has the plug in modules in the receiver, is there any way we can swap one of the modules with a new modules that can tune Mpeg4? Is that possible for the owners of the 6000? Or is the 6000 just a old piece of equipment that it is not even supported anymore?

Thanks.

#66 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,225 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:04 PM

Don't hold your breath - the modules are TUNERS ( satellite 8PSK and terrestial 8VSB ) and doesn't do any decompression like MPEG-2 or H.264 by internal chips soldered on main board.

#67 OFFLINE   Ghostwriter

Ghostwriter

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 04:35 PM

Are we there yet? Getting a 942 is starting to itch really bad. Starting to wonder if waiting for a 962 is still quite a ways away... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#68 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,798 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 04:54 PM

E*'s 10Q offers some hope ... mentioning HD in MPEG4 by the end of the year or early 2006. Seeing that 2006 is only eight weeks away I'll go for "early 2006".

I'm not buying any new receivers until MPEG4. Each person will have to make their own decision.

JL

#69 OFFLINE   bavaria72

bavaria72

I am one too!

• Gold Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:46 PM

....I'm not buying any new receivers until MPEG4....
JL

I'm right there with you James but it sure is killing me not being able to DVR HD shows. I hope the heck they have one out before then end of Q1 2006. I have become such an HD snob! :lol:
I'm back! Needed more than 1 HD feed.

#70 OFFLINE   Ghostwriter

Ghostwriter

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:41 PM

LOL. I too have become an HD snob. I refuse to watch Sundays football game on anything but HD. Luckily I have 2 more freinds that have HD so we alternate homes :)

#71 OFFLINE   phaddon

phaddon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:55 PM

E*'s 10Q offers some hope ... mentioning HD in MPEG4 by the end of the year or early 2006. Seeing that 2006 is only eight weeks away I'll go for "early 2006".

I'm not buying any new receivers until MPEG4. Each person will have to make their own decision.

JL

here's the article from Sky Retailer

DISH Prepares For New Technology
The nation's No. 2 satellite TV company is preparing new technologies intended to wow its customers and close the gap between itself and its competitor.

In a Securities and Exchange Commission filing released Tuesday, EchoStar said that beginning later this year or early 2006 it intends to make MPEG-4 technology standard in all satellite TV receivers for new customers who subscribe to high-def programming packages. The technology will result in bandwidth efficiencies over time, the company said.

EchoStar also revealed that it's implementing 8PSK technology, which also will help improve bandwidth efficiency and significantly increase the number of channels the DISH Network DBS service can transmit over existing satellites. The company said new channels added to its service using only that technology may allow for a further reduction of conversion costs and create additional revenue opportunities.

"We have not yet determined the extent to which we will convert the EchoStar DBS System to these new technologies, or the period of time over which the conversions will occur," the company said in the SEC filing. If a new satellite, EchoStar X, launches during 2006 and other planned satellites are successfully deployed, the 8PSK transition "will afford us greater flexibility in delaying and reducing the costs to convert our subscriber base to MPEG-4," the company said.

EchoStar also reported that during the third quarter it added about 255,000 net new subscribers to DISH Network during the third quarter, taking the customer total to 11.71 million customers.

later
Service Manager - RSP
Greenwood,MS
811,811,510 - 40" HDTV

#72 OFFLINE   djmav

djmav

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:54 PM

n a Securities and Exchange Commission filing released Tuesday, EchoStar said that beginning later this year or early 2006 it intends to make MPEG-4 technology standard in all satellite TV receivers for new customers who subscribe to high-def programming packages.

Once again, the current subscriber gets screwed. I hopte they come up with a package it's current subs.

#73 OFFLINE   DAMAC

DAMAC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:42 AM

Once again, the current subscriber gets screwed. I hopte they come up with a package it's current subs.

I think that news release just indicates what others have posted on this thread. They are going to offer more HD channels in the spring when they start offering the MPEG4 boxing to new subs, which will entice some of the current HD subs to buy the equipment rather than wait for a free/discounted upgrade. How could a company afford to swap out all the existing HD boxes for free on day 1? I just signed up with Dish in Sept and got the 942. I guess I should have held out with the crappy cable company for a little longer to catch the new MPEG4 deployment, but I have been enjoying my 942 and the HD channels I am getting all this fall (love NFL in HD). Plus, I am like Doyle and watch more HD now from the networks through my OTA antenna. So I will be content to wait. I am just happy that E* is working to compete with D* and offer more HD soon.

#74 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:25 AM

Let's see if they show us the mpeg4 HD PVR at the upcoming tech chat. If not, I'd guess we're looking at md '06 for the PVR.

The 411 may show up a few months before the PVR. But, does anyone care?
Bye Bye 921
Now playing with 2x 622s.

#75 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:10 AM

I find this very interesting:

"the 8PSK transition "will afford us greater flexibility in delaying and reducing the costs to convert our subscriber base to MPEG-4," the company said. "

In other words they will transistion to 8PSK first, then transition to MPEG-4. That's good news for us 942 owners since the 942 already accepts 8PSK.

The caveat here is the news story. Was it accurately written? What does it mean?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...