Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

when is mpeg4 supposed to start?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   DAMAC

DAMAC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:19 AM

I can't argue with you on that. I do think the 921 owners should be first in line for a swap-out. But as another member posted, that would mean E* would be admitting they made a mistake. I don't think they are willing to do that.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   dwcobb

dwcobb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:34 AM

....everyone here and on other boards seems to have been so sure that Dish would indeed put together a special deal for current customers. Have they ever done so?

They definitely didn't with the 942 vs. the 921. Someone alluded I think to something that happened a long, long time ago, but here we are talking about a change that affects hardware for over 12 MILLION customers.

I have never really felt in my heart they would cut current customers any deals.

But they darn well better give a discount on that new box, and they sure as heck better let current customers buy them. When I go into their site right now, the 942 isn't even listed as an upgrade option for me. I have to dig to find a way to buy it.

I have been holding out with a piece of crap box for over a year now and my patience is getting very thin. I need to reset my 921 nearly constantly, and it is always getting its pitiful brain confused about what day it actually is and recording the wrong things.

If I have difficulty getting a 962 in the first wave, or if they expect me to pay $700 or $900 for one, I will be very motivated to move back to D* where I was always very happy.

#83 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:42 AM

Let's see if they show us the mpeg4 HD PVR at the upcoming tech chat. If not, I'd guess we're looking at md '06 for the PVR.

The 411 may show up a few months before the PVR. But, does anyone care?

Thread

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=47861

Says the 411 is announced for release by the end of the month. No word on the 962.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#84 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:09 PM

Dish has offered existing subscribers substantial discounts on receivers in the past. When the 811 came out, I bought mine for $199 and I know other subscribers that only paid $149 because they were subscribed to more programming. I also took advantage of an offer to buy a 510 at a substantial discount although I don't remember exactly how much. Certainly these offers were not as good as what new subscribers get but then again when I first joined Dish, I did receive a huge discount on the receiver as well as a programming discount.

I do not own a 921 but based on what I have read in this and other forums, 921 owners have gotten screwed by Dish. Unfortunately, the 411 is not a DVR so a swap out may not be acceptable for many 921 owners. The MPEG-4 DVR may not be out for a few months after the release of the 411 and I would hope that Dish will do something special for the 921 when it comes to MPEG-4 upgrades.

#85 OFFLINE   navychop

navychop

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:13 PM

dwcobb:

If you were "always very happy" at D* how is it you moved to E*?

#86 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:56 PM

dwcobb:

If you were "always very happy" at D* how is it you moved to E*?

You see these kind of posts literally by the hundreds, and I always wonder too...

I'd just about guarantee the answer is, "I got a lot cheaper offer I couldnt pass up"

#87 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 November 2005 - 02:12 PM

You see these kind of posts literally by the hundreds, and I always wonder too...

I'd just about guarantee the answer is, "I got a lot cheaper offer I couldnt pass up"

Which is why I always respond to the "why won't Dish give me a special great deal" questions with the standard... if they have to bribe you to stay, you aren't worth it... response. People that switch for the better deal will always switch and will switch back later too. Not worth going out of your way to keep them.

Now, as for the MPEG4 receiver swapouts... It is a completely different animal than any of the other swapouts they have done recently... because Dish will want eventually to switch to MPEG4 across the board... so initially they will offer some reduced price initiatives to get you to switch and help out + offer some new channels as well... but eventually they would have to (2-3 years or more down the road) swap out everyone else for free before they could complete the switchover... so the deal you get will ultimately depend on how long you can hold out waiting.

#88 OFFLINE   dwcobb

dwcobb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:01 PM

Should never assume what someone else's motivations are but three have you have run with that supposition now. I don't give a darn about the difference in rates. Rate differences rae negligible to me - maybe $5 a month between D* and E*? If that. I had better reception on D* and a better customer experience. And they have Tivo, and I really hated giving up Tivo when I got HD.

I switched because E* had Style Network and D* didn't. Style was on Comcast when we were there, and it was important in the household if not so much to me. Local Comcast service is really appalling (very expensive and very very few channels), so it was a choice between E* and appalling cable.

I check D* regularly to see if they have added Style. I would switch back in a heartbeat if they did.

#89 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,315 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:03 PM

I'm not that fickle.

JL

#90 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:46 PM

I've had D* since 97, and never thought about switching, even with all the supposedly better deals. I dont play that game, with tv, phone or any other stuff.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...