Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

West Coast Feeds on Dish

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 11:15 AM

On the last Customer Charlie Chat someone asked about Dish adding the West Coast feeds of many channels to the Dish Network lineup.

Charlie's answer was something to the effect of they currently carry the West Coast feeds that are available.

I said in the chat that Charlie was wrong about this one. And have sat down and found all the West Coast feeds which are being broadcast.

Here is my list of West Coast Channels that Dish Network does not currently offer.

1. Discovery West
2. BET West
3. HBO HD West
4. Hallmark West
5. Court TV West
6. TV Land West
7. E! West
8. Comedy Central West
9. TNN West
10. TNT West
11. USA West
12. Most of the Starz Encore West Channels
13. Most of the HBO West Channels
14. History Channel West
15. BBC America West
16. Toon Disney West
17. MTV West
18. Pax West
19. A&E West
20. ABC Family West
21. FX West

As you can clearly see there are more West Coast feeds then Charlie would have you believe.

If you could pick any 5 West Coast Channels to the Dish Network lineup which 5 would you pick?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 11:22 AM

E!, COmedy Central, History Channel, BBC and MTV
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#3 Guest_Sam1980_*

Guest_Sam1980_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2002 - 11:40 AM

... He also ( in a sense ) mentioned that's what PVRs are for.....Persomnally, I dont need duplicate channels (I'm on the west coast), I'd rather see new channels added (like the recent Nat Geo) and/or awesome PQ. There's enough duplication going on to ask for more of the same in exchange for PQ, IMHO. I agree on the additional VH1 channels not currenly carried as well as some of the adidtional premium channels not currenly carried (so we can see the the same movie even MORE times a day!!)

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 11:47 AM

Sam,

I hear what you are saying, (and agree with you) I am just trying to show that there are more West Coast channels available then what Charlie Says.

If I had to choose, I would pick.

USA
TNN
Comedy Central
E!
MTV

#5 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 12:04 PM

Toon Disney and ABC Family. I don't care at all about the others.

#6 OFFLINE   AJ2086

AJ2086

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 12:38 PM

USA, TNN, Comedy Central, FX and TV Land. I want these. Charlie better do it. Is there a Lifetime West? I know PAX has one for each time zone.
AJ

XM Customer Since: 12/28/02
D* Customer Since: 2/6/03
Tivo User Since: 11/12/03

#7 Guest_Sam1980_*

Guest_Sam1980_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2002 - 02:51 PM

I like TNNs programming, but I stopped watching it since they added that bar at the bottom of the screen that squishes everything so that it looks like a funhouse mirror, which to me is alot more annoying than the Nat Geo logo. I tried to watch Star Trek TNG on several occasions and Robot Wars, but simply cannot sit thru more than 30 seconds, so unfortunately, I feel a west coast feed of this would be a waste of bandwith (IMHO)

#8 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 03:50 PM

1) MTV West
2) Comedy Central West
3) E! West
4) Starz/Encore Pack West
5) HBO Pack West

#9 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 06:01 PM

None, that's why I have a PVR. Spare the bandwidth, give us more HDTV.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#10 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 06:09 PM

If the PVR becomes the standard reciever in everyone's homes over the next few years, do you think that Dish would drop all west coast feeds entirely?

#11 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 06:11 PM

Well, I get History west, A&E west USA Network west, and ABC Family west by subscription to C band. Also get Hallmark west, FX west, Pax west, E! entertainment TV west and probably some others via Free Mpeg2 C band.

Not to mention, the Grand Rapids locals are in the clear on EchoStar 1 Tp 5 at 148 degrees. Even have the PAX/WB affiliate which apparently is not offered there, yet.
:hi:

#12 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 08:24 PM

HBO Family West- only for competition reasons
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#13 OFFLINE   Wedgecon

Wedgecon

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 08:46 PM

Being on the west coast i kinda like the fact that I get the east coast feeds. This allows me to pick the prime time shows off 3 hours early and they almost never conflict with shows I am trying to record off the local networks.

Now I know having booth feeds would give me even more options..but lets face it a lot of these channels prime time lineup is reapting the same 3 or 4 hour block twice a night..at least for History, Discovery, A&E, etc...

#14 OFFLINE   Dmitriy

Dmitriy

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 11:00 AM

Discovery West,
FX West,
any 2 of the HBO West Channels,
and one channel from Starz West Channels.

#15 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 12:35 PM

What I would like to see is a hybrid to lighten the 3am-7am (eastern) informercial barrage! It's something that Dish and Direct did with FX for a while (I think they still do--or perhaps it was a unique feed from FX but I doubt it). When the informercial blok began at 2am Dish and Direct would flick over to the west feed and carry that for 3 hours and then flick back to the east feed at 5am. Since FX had most of it's programming schedule on a 3 hour repeating schedule, the same thing could be done with Discovery, TLC, Pax, Hallmark, TNN, BET, Court TV and History Channel. All these channels have at least a 3 hour block of infomercials in the wee hours (easter) and starting at midnight on the west coast!

The remaining channels have unique schedules with real programming all night. Leave these alone.

The only problem with this plan is that it requires that the channels agree to this. Companies pay these cable channels for TV time based on potential viewers or on number of inqueries (calls) generated. It may be that it is more lucrative to have an infomercial that it would be to have "real" programming.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#16 OFFLINE   jrjcd

jrjcd

Arcane Movie Trivia King

• Gold Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 12:49 PM

I WANT MY WEST COAST LOCALS BACK!!!!

...sorry...
jrjcd(jack)-

"I've got a FEVER...and the ONLY prescription for it is MORE COWBELL!!!!"
Lengendary record producer Bruce Dickinson

#17 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 01:43 PM

Originally posted by TNGTony
What I would like to see is a hybrid to lighten the 3am-7am (eastern) informercial barrage! It's something that Dish and Direct did with FX for a while (I think they still do--or perhaps it was a unique feed from FX but I doubt it). When the informercial blok began at 2am Dish and Direct would flick over to the west feed and carry that for 3 hours and then flick back to the east feed at 5am. Since FX had most of it's programming schedule on a 3 hour repeating schedule, the same thing could be done with Discovery, TLC, Pax, Hallmark, TNN, BET, Court TV and History Channel. All these channels have at least a 3 hour block of infomercials in the wee hours (easter) and starting at midnight on the west coast!

The remaining channels have unique schedules with real programming all night. Leave these alone.

The only problem with this plan is that it requires that the channels agree to this. Companies pay these cable channels for TV time based on potential viewers or on number of inqueries (calls) generated. It may be that it is more lucrative to have an infomercial that it would be to have "real" programming.

See ya
Tony

I like that idea, unfortunately would the contracts that D* and E* have with these channels permit this?

#18 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2002 - 03:37 PM

You forgot a few others.

22. Showtime HD West
23. TLC West
24. VH-1 West

spam firewall