Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Indian Channel Package?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   amit5roy5

amit5roy5

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:23 PM

I was wondering if Dish Network has any plans of making a bigger Indian channel package. I was wondering if there were plans to include:

Hindi, Bengali, Punjabi, Gujarati, AMERICAN DESI/SOUTH ASIA WORLD. All these channels are either in English or all the languages are derived form Sanskrit. So, you can understand the other non-Hindi languages. (that is how non-Hindi speakers in India can watch Bollywood movies). Is Dish planning such a package?

Also, I feel the South Asian channels are WAY overpriced. :(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:45 PM

Of course, the South Asian channels are overpriced, but the economics allow Dish to charge the maximum price.

From what I've seen Dish does not plan to remix the South Asian packages in any other way. I don't understand your question either on the other South Asian languages (non-Hindi) are not very useful to those who don't know the language as English translation are not very frequent.

Rasheed

#3 OFFLINE   pacman99

pacman99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:59 PM

dish has a lot of programming in different languages
-malayalam
-tamil
-kannada
-telugu
-conversational hindi
-REAL hindi :P
-urdu
-punjabi

Although I'll tell you, probably the only good channels, i find, are SET Max, Zee Cinema, SET India etc...they are overpriced but you really can't do anything about that :(
I'm just waiting for Indus Vision now.

I'd just buy one or two channels A la carte.

#4 OFFLINE   amit5roy5

amit5roy5

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:57 AM

They recently introduced B4U music. Now the Hindi package has 11 channels! Yay! Maybe soon it will become a basic package, like Dish Latino and Great Wall. I'm surprised they don't have Star TV yet (DirecTV has it). That channel is very popular in India.

#5 OFFLINE   JKnight

JKnight

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:38 AM

They recently introduced B4U music. Now the Hindi package has 11 channels! Yay! Maybe soon it will become a basic package, like Dish Latino and Great Wall. I'm surprised they don't have Star TV yet (DirecTV has it). That channel is very popular in India.

yeah directv has 4 channels, star plus, star news, star one, mtv desi.

I have those on Directv, but i also have dish network and those 11 channels on dish, I just wished that they all would come on satellite.

#6 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:08 PM

yeah directv has 4 channels, star plus, star news, star one, mtv desi.

I have those on Directv, but i also have dish network and those 11 channels on dish, I just wished that they all would come on satellite.

My impression is that none of the Star channels will come on Dish as the parent company of DirecTV owns the Star channels (News Corp.).

Howeer, there is no reason why MTV Desi can't be added (especially since it is actually a channel made and targeted toward the US audience). You need to visit the MTV Desi site and request that they get a contract together with Dish. I'd like to see it at a $1.00 and added to all of the Jumbo/Mega packs for free (or they can include both music channels for 2.99 like they did a news package).

I believe Dish is feeling some pressure as South Asian market was minting money for Dish, but now there is some comeptition if people prefer Star over Sony/Zee (or I guess Sahara).

Rasheed

#7 OFFLINE   amit5roy5

amit5roy5

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:56 PM

Well, if you think about it. Indians will pay $30 for these channels. Plus 40 for a programming package. That is a lot of money for Dish Network. :) My bill is around $100 :( I know, too high. And this includes the AT180 and the Mega Pack. And adding all those DVR and 2nd receiver fees.

#8 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:11 PM

I was wondering if Dish Network has any plans of making a bigger Indian channel package. I was wondering if there were plans to include:

Hindi, Bengali, Punjabi, Gujarati, AMERICAN DESI/SOUTH ASIA WORLD. All these channels are either in English or all the languages are derived form Sanskrit. So, you can understand the other non-Hindi languages. (that is how non-Hindi speakers in India can watch Bollywood movies). Is Dish planning such a package?
(

They should relabel their packages, by classifying the Hindi ones as Hindi, not just South Asian. Farsi speaking region are in South Asia, but Farsi isn't in Dish's South Asian. According to every source I've looked, Pakistan is part of South Asia.

Also, I feel the South Asian channels are WAY overpriced. :(

Well, be greatful Dish is providing Channel 580, and Channel 599. Dish is proud to offer them free, and at no cost. Didn't you see the ads? :rolleyes:

As far as being overpriced, it's because Dish got away with it, before DirecTV and Globecast started competing and offering services. DirecTV offers 4 totally different channels, at a slightly lower price, but not a big reduction. If DirecTV competed earlier on in the game, pricing structure may have been different on Dish. Originally, Dish was offering 5 South Asian channels for $49.99, but have added new ones into the same package rate. Dish wants to sign contracts (probably all being exclusive) before DirecTV signs them.

#9 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:14 PM

My impression is that none of the Star channels will come on Dish as the parent company of DirecTV owns the Star channels (News Corp.).

Howeer, there is no reason why MTV Desi can't be added (especially since it is actually a channel made and targeted toward the US audience). You need to visit the MTV Desi site and request that they get a contract together with Dish. I'd like to see it at a $1.00 and added to all of the Jumbo/Mega packs for free (or they can include both music channels for 2.99 like they did a news package).

I believe Dish is feeling some pressure as South Asian market was minting money for Dish, but now there is some comeptition if people prefer Star over Sony/Zee (or I guess Sahara).

Rasheed

DirecTV likely has an exclusive contract for MTV Desi. I'm sure DirecTV would like to offer Zee, and some services on Dish, but they can't because of exclusive contracts.

#10 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:17 PM

dish has a lot of programming in different languages
-malayalam
-tamil
-kannada
-telugu
-conversational hindi
-REAL hindi :P
-urdu
-punjabi

Although I'll tell you, probably the only good channels, i find, are SET Max, Zee Cinema, SET India etc...they are overpriced but you really can't do anything about that :(
I'm just waiting for Indus Vision now.

I'd just buy one or two channels A la carte.

I don't think the Hindi speaking families are really interested in any of the languages (channels) from the South, or Gujurat or Bengal. Unless, it was a North Indian who married a South Indian (or any two different types of Indians), and as a family, they want channels originating from both places. It would be unfortunate for them that Dish has no discount(s) in place, for different language packages.

#11 OFFLINE   SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:40 PM

Well, at least DirecTV got Star recently. Until about 6 months ago, DirecTV only had what Chinese and Vietnamese programming for their international programming? Before then, DISH, cable, and FTA were the sources for South Asian (Indian) programming. Other than low-quality video rentals I suppose. So yeah, you really can't have all your eggs in one basket, but at least it's offered now. In a stretch of an analogy, it's like having one game exclusive for PS2 while another game is exclusive to the XBox. You have to have both to enjoy both. International programming is expensive because consumers will pay to watch it. If not for themselves, their 1st gen. parents. ;)

I believe they use the term South Asian to differentiate from Native Americans that are ignorantly labeled Indians as well. Plus, it's more PC to use the term South Asian, not that I think it's accurate either.

#12 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

DirecTV likely has an exclusive contract for MTV Desi. I'm sure DirecTV would like to offer Zee, and some services on Dish, but they can't because of exclusive contracts.

I agree that Zee is likely under an exclusive agreement for satellite services with Dish, but I don't believe that agreement has much time left with Dish looking for new channels to stay competitive (like Sahara).

I do not believe MTV Desi is exclusive to DirecTV. I believe the problem is that Dish and Viacom/MTV Networks do not get along so it is really hard for them to have a relationship to get a new channel going. I've emailed an executive at MTV who is involved with MTV Desi to see if I can get some sort of reply or at the very least remind them that there is a need to get this channel carried on Dish. The fact that Dish added B4U Music (which frankly, has been around for awhile) shows that they know this type of programming is important.

As far as the South Asian labelling, I think it would easily make sense that the Urdu channels could be under the same South Asian category. I believe most of the Urdu subscribers likely have South Asian programming (Dish even acknowledges this on the website when talking about which subscribers are eligible for which add-ons). Since Urdu channels came later, I think Dish wanted to create a new market distinction. It would be nice to have some packages that cross-over these two markets (I believe the News Add-On should include ARY One). Right now, there is a satellite problem as they have stopped adding new Urdu channels to 148/61.5. I think Dish needs to either get all of the South Asian viewers a 121 dish or better replicate the South Asian (Urdu and India based) channels on 148/61.5 to better think long-term in these markets.

Rasheed

#13 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:40 PM

I agree that Zee is likely under an exclusive agreement for satellite services with Dish, but I don't believe that agreement has much time left with Dish looking for new channels to stay competitive (like Sahara).

I do not believe MTV Desi is exclusive to DirecTV. I believe the problem is that Dish and Viacom/MTV Networks do not get along so it is really hard for them to have a relationship to get a new channel going. I've emailed an executive at MTV who is involved with MTV Desi to see if I can get some sort of reply or at the very least remind them that there is a need to get this channel carried on Dish. The fact that Dish added B4U Music (which frankly, has been around for awhile) shows that they know this type of programming is important.

As far as the South Asian labelling, I think it would easily make sense that the Urdu channels could be under the same South Asian category. I believe most of the Urdu subscribers likely have South Asian programming (Dish even acknowledges this on the website when talking about which subscribers are eligible for which add-ons). Since Urdu channels came later, I think Dish wanted to create a new market distinction. It would be nice to have some packages that cross-over these two markets (I believe the News Add-On should include ARY One). Right now, there is a satellite problem as they have stopped adding new Urdu channels to 148/61.5. I think Dish needs to either get all of the South Asian viewers a 121 dish or better replicate the South Asian (Urdu and India based) channels on 148/61.5 to better think long-term in these markets.

Rasheed

I agree Dish needs to consider long-term for these ethnic markets, including satellite positioning. The packages (from the website) as of now are not easy to follow, and not generally inclusive, nor is there a reasonable alacarte in place. For example, the $49.99 MEGA package is supposed to the utmost complete package, but for American Desi and South Asia World, nope, you have to pay extra for them. And no further discounting on the close related Urdu channels, or semi-close Punjabi, Guju services. BTW, is there any likelihood for a Sindhi channel?

It's also confusing why some new channels are being added on the SuperDish, while some are just arriving on the 61.5 bird, like Sahara. Customers don't like being toyed with, but Dish won't give a reason.

Anyways, Zee would be in best position to seek non-exclusive contracts, to gain both satellite provider exposure and greater revenue. On Dish, they are one of the original channels, and most subscribers have that channel. Dish can't ignore it, and Dish would be dumb to let Zee go. Nor, would Dish be in a position to pay a steep amount to still keep it exclusive, if Zee knows DirecTV is around.

If its a bid war on fees (over amount Zee keeps of subscription programming revenue), DirecTV could present a better offer to Zee, over Dish. If Dish were to balk at the idea that Zee wants DirecTV, or DirecTV were to demand exclusivity the other way, Zee would still have their digital cable base as leverage. Short story, Zee's best interest would be getting on both providers.

As for MTV Desi and/or B4U Music, I think they are ancillary. It's like VH Uno; neither Dish or DirecTV have this Spanish music channel, but both providers have other Spanish music channel(s) in their packages. Not a core must-have channel. DirecTV just thought MTV Desi would be good to fill in their startup HindiDirecTV services, and Dish is beefing up their packages (where channels are now added at no extra cost to the high package subscribers) in small fear that DirecTV could surpass them if channels changed providers.

#14 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:59 PM

Side note: B4U Music is on free preview for folks like me who only have two South Asian channels on 599.

I expect the preview might go until 11/9/2005.

Rasheed

#15 OFFLINE   amit5roy5

amit5roy5

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:17 AM

Well, if you speak Hindi, you can understand Punjabi and Bengali. Also, I think it's best to organize the channels by country rather than language. I would not want to accidently order a channel from Bangladesh when I really wanted an Indian channel. I think the channels should be split into Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi.

For the Indian category, subdivide into languages. And yes, redo the packaging.

#16 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:34 PM

I wanted to update my post. During the past week, I was able to share correspondance with the person in charge of MTV Desi (and other related MTV properties) about Dish carriage issue. I didn't get a definite response to what will happen about the carriage issue, but I do have an acknowledgement of the issue and will contact in a few months to get a status on this channel on Dish.

B4U Music has become super popular in just the past month it has gone live, and I believe will also get a good number of a la carte subscribers since it is available practically to any subscriber with a 148/61.5/121 angle connected.

Rasheed

#17 OFFLINE   mruk69

mruk69

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:44 AM

What gets me is in the UK you get B4U music, Zee music, Star News and some others free with no subscription required as long as you have a Sky receiver.
Over here they are ripping off the Desi's bigtime. I have complained in the past to Dish about this. I have at 180 + HBO and the 49.99 Desi pack. I am planning on dropping the Desi pack as it is to expensive. My main point is how come the latinos get a much better deal. Most desi's are well off and are more likely to subscribe if they got a good deal like the Latino's do, by including American and Desi channels into one or two packages. This would play well with Dish as they will reduce the number of Desi's sharing receivers, under one subcription.

#18 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:46 PM

I think this is one of the reasons Dish continues to put South Asian channels on 148, 61.5 and 121 is that there is a lot of options on how to package these channels. I think Dish will always charge the maximum it can in light of practically no competition. As have already been said, when cable operators do offer such channels, they are almost always cheaper than the Dish a la carte or package prices.

DirecTV is only carring a few channels. Their price is better at 19.99, but they are not carrying many of the popular channels Dish is offering.

If more of the nationwide cable systems carried the channels (or maybe the fiber services), Dish would respond competitively. However, cable systems are bandwidth starved too with things they consider to be higher priority such as HD channels.

I have a hunch that Dish is about to add two more South Asian channels now that they have re-added 574/575 Free Preview channels to air in the near future.

Rasheed

#19 OFFLINE   mruk69

mruk69

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:08 PM

Heres another thing i have been paying $50 a months for years, even when they only had four or five channels. Now you get more for $50 bucks but then again 3 of the channels are news channels. How much of the news do you really need.

#20 OFFLINE   JKnight

JKnight

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:11 PM

what channels do you think they will add on 574 and 575?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...