Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to record audio onto CD from 942

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rb71

rb71

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:47 AM

I'm wondering how I can record audio from the 942 and get it onto a CD for playing in a CD player. I have a DVD recorder getting input from the TV-2 output, but it doesn't record CDs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bichon

Bichon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:14 AM

I'd use my computer. Hook the audio outputs from the 942 to the soundcard in my PC, record to a .wav file (Sound Recorder comes with Windows, if you don't have anything better), and then use the wizard in Nero to make an audio disk.

#3 OFFLINE   sgt940

sgt940

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:46 AM

Intervideo dvd copy 3, available at Best Buy and other places will strip the audio portion off of a DVD. It is a work around but record a dvd with the audio you want than use the program to strip the audio off to a CD. I am sure there are many other programs that will do this.

#4 OFFLINE   rb71

rb71

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:38 AM

Unfortunately, my PC isn't close to the 942 signal, so I'd probably have to go the DVD-record route. I'm fairly stupid when it comes to DVD recording. Mainly, I don't want to burn a bunch of disks (-+ R) that can't be reused. Will the RW formats let me re-record on them after reading them from the PC, and do I need to "finalize" them before I read them on the PC?

Sorry for the off-topic DVD questions...

Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   zipcom

zipcom

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:05 PM

If you go to videohelp dot comm and search under tools for DVD to WAVE you will find a list of tools that should help. I have personally used #1 DVD audio ripper and it works well. Best of all you don't have to finalize a DVD-RW ( you can't really anyway) Just point the program to the VIDEO_TS file and it will do the rest. You can convert it to a .wav file and burn it to CD.

Hope this helps,

Kipp

#6 OFFLINE   rb71

rb71

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 04:42 PM

Okay, so as a test, I recorded some from a sat radio channel. The interesting thing was, the DVD recording had multiple chapters that didn't coincide with the songs. The result in transfering them to CD was that the songs were interrupted midstream as the chapter changed. Is there any way to merge these?

#7 OFFLINE   zipcom

zipcom

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:16 PM

Okay, so as a test, I recorded some from a sat radio channel. The interesting thing was, the DVD recording had multiple chapters that didn't coincide with the songs. The result in transfering them to CD was that the songs were interrupted midstream as the chapter changed. Is there any way to merge these?

rb71,

are you using the software I recommended? Most recordable dvd players allow you to set the chapter marks. Mine are set to every 5 minutes but that can be changed very easily in the settings. Have you tried that?

Kipp
Dish 942 Dual Tuner HD DVR
Mits 1080p DLP 52628
Mits WT-46809
Sony DVP-NS70H

#8 OFFLINE   M Sparks

M Sparks

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:25 PM

I just saw that you don't have a computer near your 942, but in case anybody else is interested...

If you get a Sound Blaster Audigy card with a front connection panel, you can actually plug the optical cable in and record a PCM stream directly.

They are pretty expensive, but now that newer models are available (they have Audigy 2s and maybe Audigy 3s), you can probably find the older ones used for under $100.

They have a ton of useful inputs. Optical Digital in and out, Coax Digital, Stereo RCA In, 2 MIDI jacks, and a 1/4" input that can be used for a mic, or you can plug a guitar or keyboard directly into it. Pretty much everything but an XLR jack. You also get an IR remote.

#9 OFFLINE   Bichon

Bichon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:31 AM

now that newer models are available (they have Audigy 2s and maybe Audigy 3s), you can probably find the older ones used for under $100.

Off-topic for this forum (especially since the OP said he doesn't have a nearby computer), but the state-of-the-art line of sound cards from Creative labs these days is the X-Fi series. X-Fi has better s/n ratios, dramatically more powerful audio processing for effects, etc. There never was an Audigy 3, the marketers at Creative skipped right from the Audigy 2 to the Audigy 4.

#10 OFFLINE   rb71

rb71

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 06:03 AM

Sorry for letting this go off-topic.

Thanks for the help guys; I've got it worked out.

-Jeff

Protected By... spam firewall...And...