Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hey Dish, Bell is beating you at NHL HD coverage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:57 PM

Doesn't Dish and Bell use the same equipment? Look at all the NHL CI HD coverage Bell has, alot of the games are from Altitude HD in Denver, yet Dish doesn't carry DICK!

http://www.bell.ca/m...n/nhl_sched.pdf

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Gary Murrell

Gary Murrell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:02 PM

Yep what a shame, makes a fella want BEV ;)

Dish and BEV use equipment made by Echostar, software is totally different, so they really don't have all that much in common

-Gary

#3 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:09 PM

I have been looking at Ebay myself, I already have a 61.5 Dish and i'm bored with VOOM HD and I would like to move the Dish to 82 degrees or whatever satellite Bell HD is at and get the $10 HD pak for TSN-HD, CBC-HD, WGN-HD and all the locals in HD in addition to NHL CI HD games and HD-NET on Dish. Problem is I hear a Dish 6000 won't work on Bell. I would like to use my sw-64 and have 82, 110 and 119 all together. I just don't know if it would screw anything up, I need some assistance.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:25 PM

I'd be very careful pointing a E* receiver at a Bell satellite. If you are going to go grey don't mix the signals (you won't get E* and Bev channels on the same receiver anyways).

That being said - sale of BEV to people outside of Canada is against their terms of service and reception of those signals within the US is against an obscure but valid FCC rule. So lets not get too deep into 'how to break the rules' talk. Thanks.

James

#5 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:30 PM

I thought Grey areas were legal? WTF?

#6 OFFLINE   mattb

mattb

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:35 PM

I have been looking at Ebay myself, I already have a 61.5 Dish and i'm bored with VOOM HD and I would like to move the Dish to 82 degrees or whatever satellite Bell HD is at and get the $10 HD pak for TSN-HD, CBC-HD, WGN-HD and all the locals in HD in addition to NHL CI HD games and HD-NET on Dish. Problem is I hear a Dish 6000 won't work on Bell. I would like to use my sw-64 and have 82, 110 and 119 all together. I just don't know if it would screw anything up, I need some assistance.

I would not hook a Dish Network receiver up to a dish pointed at 82! You may download Bell's firmware/software and trash your Dish Network receiver (meaning no more getting E* with it)

#7 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:44 PM

well they updated the online schedule but there are no HD games listed, what gives :(

I dunno why E* doesn't have the altitude games since their logo is on the arena (at least I think that's still the case)

#8 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:12 AM

I thought Grey areas were legal? WTF?

It's called grey since it's neither clearly/directly right (white) or wrong (black). Personally I have no problem with it. If you can get away with it why not. The debates are endless, I will say it’s fine and some one else will say that it’s dishonest. I will never change their mind and they will never change mine so it’s pointless. I have no problem playing the system and taking advantage of loopholes that work in my favor, I’m human. Hell, my home address can be written 6 different ways, so those contests/offers that specifically say ‘1 per house hold’ I can get 6. Stupid, lame, cheap and low, I know, but what the hell, I have something unique, so I’ll use it to my advantage. Bottom line make your own decision.

I have no problem paying for a bunch of Canadian content I can get for free from an antenna. If the weather was right I used to be able to pick up so may NFL games broadcasting from channels deep with in Canada it wasn’t even funny. Let’s see the Bills did not sell out this weekend, so I can’t see them lose, Wrong, flip on channel 25 granted not the best picture quality but it was watchable. But wait due to broadcast regulations I’m not supposed to be able to watch them, so I’ll do the morally right thing and watch the infomercials on CBS instead :rolleyes:
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#9 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:55 AM

It may be called a "grey" area, but it's spelled gray.

For an interesting dish config that includes BEV, check this out: http://www.techweenies.com/dss-1.shtml

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:39 AM

It may be called a "grey" area, but it's spelled gray.

For an interesting dish config that includes BEV, check this out: http://www.techweenies.com/dss-1.shtml

They are actually variant spellings of the same word. "Gray" is more common in the US but "grey" is generally used in Canada. So this is sort of a grey/gray area.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#11 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:49 AM

:thats: That's a good one, Cheif, er, Chief! :lol:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#12 OFFLINE   derwin0

derwin0

Icon

• Registered
  • 538 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:28 AM

That being said - sale of BEV to people outside of Canada is against their terms of service and reception of those signals within the US is against an obscure but valid FCC rule.

what rule is that? And is it even valid, since the courts have already said the 1st amendment allows Americans to have foreign items (granted the actual case involved foriegn videos, but does apply here), as long as they don't violate obsenity standards. Plus, people use big dishes to get foriegn free-to-air signals all the time, and the courts protect them. So as long as you don't pirate the signals (which directly violates DCMA and a few other laws), you're okay. My wife subscribes to a couple magazine subscriptions in Canada that are shipped to the U.S., except for the higher shipping rate, we are allowed to recieve them.
The problem for Bell is that several of the stations they carry do not have the appropriate agreements to broadcast some of their programming in the U.S (ie the NBC content on CTV).
The only problem the user has is the misrepresentation of a service address, which is no different than "moving". And that can only be dealt with by Bell, not U.S. authorities.

#13 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:31 AM

That being said - sale of BEV to people outside of Canada is against their terms of service and reception of those signals within the US is against an obscure but valid FCC rule. So lets not get too deep into 'how to break the rules' talk. Thanks.

HUH?
Only technicality says I have to have a Canadian address to subscribe to Bell or StarChoice. Thats what brokers are for :)
FCC has no say in it

#14 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:34 AM

cant do it...Bell & Dish have 2 different software setups
You would need a Express Vu receiver. Dish receiver wont work

Also, you cant order the HD alone on Bell..need their basic package for $25 :)

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:36 AM

"Gray" is more common in the US but "grey" is generally used in Canada. So this is sort of a grey/gray area.

Yep ... and if one is going to use Canadian services they should use the Canadian spelling. :D

If one does go this route do heed the advice given and keep the signals separate - don't let your dish receivers see BEV and vice-versa.

FCC has no say in it

They do. But I did say 'obscure' and the last few times I posted the exact reference nobody seemed to care what the FCC rules said. :rolleyes:

JL

#16 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:36 AM

I'd be very careful pointing a E* receiver at a Bell satellite.

you can aim it as long as you dont do two things
-the unit is a virgin..never was in the stream
-you aim it at a Bell satellite then turn the receiver off

But Ive aimed plenty of ExpressVu dishes using an old previously activated Dish 5000 receiver without an issue. It just says "wrong satellite" :)

#17 OFFLINE   derwin0

derwin0

Icon

• Registered
  • 538 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:42 AM

But Ive aimed plenty of ExpressVu dishes using an old previously activated Dish 5000 receiver without an issue. It just says "wrong satellite"

Dish updated their software, they now actually say "Bell Expressvu 82" or "Bell Expressvu 91".
Found this out when I moved into a new house, and used a Dish Reciever to line up my dishes.

And I've heard that the software streams now have a keying in them to prevent them from being loaded onto the wrong Dish or Bell "virgin" reciever. Dish and Bell probably got tired of fixing all the "bricks" :D

#18 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:43 AM

thats good to know Derwin...didnt know about the virginalized recevers not doing that anymore :)

#19 OFFLINE   Avsfan33

Avsfan33

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:44 AM

I dunno why E* doesn't have the altitude games since their logo is on the arena (at least I think that's still the case)

It is still there!

It would be nice if E* would add Altitude's HD feed. I am getting tired of watching Avalanche games and seeing the messages at the bottom letting everyone on Comcast and a couple other cable companies that they can watch the game in HD

E* was the first to carry Altitude, but are dragging their feet to add HD.

:confused: :mad:

#20 OFFLINE   derwin0

derwin0

Icon

• Registered
  • 538 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:46 AM

They do. But I did say 'obscure' and the last few times I posted the exact reference nobody seemed to care what the FCC rules said.

I'm actually curious what the rule is, and if it's enforcable. Is it the ground reciever license one that got tossed in a Ham radio court decision?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...