Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Hey Dish, Bell is beating you at NHL HD coverage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,254 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:47 AM

And I've heard that the software streams now have a keying in them to prevent them from being loaded onto the wrong Dish or Bell "virgin" receiver. Dish and Bell probably got tired of fixing all the "bricks" :D

That's good news ... we've seen enough posts from people who accidentally found a BEV sat wile looking for Dish. It's good protection.

JL

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:39 AM

It is still there!

It would be nice if E* would add Altitude's HD feed. I am getting tired of watching Avalanche games and seeing the messages at the bottom letting everyone on Comcast and a couple other cable companies that they can watch the game in HD

E* was the first to carry Altitude, but are dragging their feet to add HD.

:confused: :mad:

I think the problem is Comcast is the group responsible for providing the means to show the HD games so they claim exclusive (much like they do in other markets like their stations). But it's still interesting that they are shown over the border

#23 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:49 AM

When they realize that Must Carry is a fact and put it behind them we might get some HD. :D

#24 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 October 2005 - 02:15 PM

It may be called a "grey" area, but it's spelled gray.

Just to be off-topic...

One could argue that we in the US are the wrong ones... gray instead of grey, color instead of colour, theater instead of theatre... since we came from Britain long ago... we're the ones that screwed up the language ;)

#25 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 October 2005 - 03:24 PM

...but we do it because we can, because we're freakin' Estados Unidos Americanos. Otherwise we'd be talkin' cockney like those limey Brits, or, God forbid, the French Canadians who, IMO, are poor imitations of the French.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#26 OFFLINE   Skates

Skates

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 03:46 PM

Nick - how can you insult Canadians like that?

I'm sitting on my chesterfield right now, drying my tears with my serviette...eh?

And on the topic at hand...Bell is beating Dish because that is what Canadians want. Hockey, hockey, hockey, snow chains, hockey, back bacon, hockey, Molson Canadian, hockey, hockey, Labatt's Blue and, perhaps I forgot to mention...HOCKEY.

#27 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 03:50 PM

...but we do it because we can, because we're freakin' Estados Unidos Americanos. Otherwise we'd be talkin' cockney like those limey Brits, or, God forbid, the French Canadians who, IMO, are poor imitations of the French.

Wow all that from a freakin peach? :rolleyes:

#28 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:25 PM

When they realize that Must Carry is a fact and put it behind them we might get some HD. :D

Let's declare YES Network HD and Comcast-Philly HD "must carry" - then they'll have to let us carry it for free. :)

#29 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:46 AM

And on the topic at hand...Bell is beating Dish because that is what Canadians want. Hockey, hockey, hockey, snow chains, hockey, back bacon, hockey, Molson Canadian, hockey, hockey, Labatt's Blue and, perhaps I forgot to mention...HOCKEY.

You forgot Tim Hortons.

#30 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:41 AM

What does "must carry" have to do with an RSN?
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#31 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:50 AM

What does "must carry" have to do with an RSN?

Yes, we have no bandwidth because we did not think Must Carry would happen. Should have had plans from the start to have adequate capacity in the initial spotbeam birds.

#32 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:14 AM

You forgot Tim Hortons.

...and "Hoser"!

But I'm a cableboy now, so what do I know? Talking about Canadian bacon, which isn't bacon at all, but the round part of a pig. :feelbette

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#33 OFFLINE   Skates

Skates

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:36 PM

from Nick:

Talking about Canadian bacon, which isn't bacon at all

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing about American beer... :D

#34 OFFLINE   penguin44

penguin44

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:48 PM

I have been looking at Ebay myself, I already have a 61.5 Dish and i'm bored with VOOM HD and I would like to move the Dish to 82 degrees or whatever satellite Bell HD is at and get the $10 HD pak for TSN-HD, CBC-HD, WGN-HD and all the locals in HD in addition to NHL CI HD games and HD-NET on Dish. Problem is I hear a Dish 6000 won't work on Bell. I would like to use my sw-64 and have 82, 110 and 119 all together. I just don't know if it would screw anything up, I need some assistance.

Personally I wouldn;t go for the TSN CBC HD channels, since they actually don't show anything in HD. Take it from a canadian. TSN's HD programming consits of, and I am not kidding, Dog Shows, Darts, Drag Racing, NASCAR that you can get on NBC and 1, count them, 1 HD NHL game a month. They touted that 3 games this week were in HD, and they weren't. CBC will show the first game of the 2 on Sat nights, meaning Leafs usually unless they go out west. Otherwise, save your money.

#35 OFFLINE   Darkman

Darkman

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:42 AM

"Canadian Bacon" is NOT a back bacon....

Side bacon is known to be called "Canadian Bacon" ;)

#36 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:45 AM

"Canadian Bacon" is NOT a back bacon....

Side bacon is known to be called "Canadian Bacon" ;)

Thanks for clearing that up for us, Darkman. :rolleyes: All my adult life, for some unknown reason, I've been attracted to the side bacon, not the back side of a "pig", like most men. :D

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#37 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:58 PM

Well lookie what we have here, add more insult to Dishnetwork. NESN-HD Boston Bruins games added to the Bell HD schedule.

http://www.bell.ca/m...n/nhl_sched.pdf

#38 OFFLINE   S.C. Am

S.C. Am

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:45 AM

Also, you cant order the HD alone on Bell..need their basic package for $25

You have to subscribe to SD on Expressvu before you get the HD equivalent.
For new subs; to get TSN and Sportsnet HD cost is: $25 + $8 (Sports) + $10 HD = $43/month canadian + tax which is about $43/month us

To get all the HD (except movie channel) cost is $57/month minimum. The way it works out is that if one wants C.I. HD, Expressvu is way to go.

But if one doesn't want C.I. and/orwant to spend less; the SC Digital Advantage package @ $44 is the way to go as SC it gives about 50 more channels vs Expressvu. TSN HD is being added to that package later this month. So it will include Detroit/Seattle + CBC + TSN + Sportsnet in HD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...