Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VOOM - What is it good for?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   voripteth

voripteth

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 03:31 PM

I'm a brand new Dish subscriber and I'm hungry for good HD programming. It's a bit of a shock to see just how few HD shows are available for Dish. When I had my account activated I asked them to add Voom for additional HD options.

I've had a few hours to watch the channels and they have made a very poor impression so far. Does it get any better?

GuyTV - Shows 2 movies alternating for the entire day. Two movies per 24 hours!?

Animania - I happen to LOVE anime and computer generated animation. These things could be a great showcase for HD technology. Instead I see the ancient very crude animation of Dick Tracy, Felix the Cat and some simple animated series. While there is some nostalgia value I have to ask "Why HD?"

Monsters - Looks to have the most promise but it would be nice to have current monster movies as well.

The other showcase channels are good for a few minutes of Oooh! for the HD picture but does anyone actually keep these for more than a month? I find the current content so far to be barely worth $5 a month which I think is just the introductory price.

Did I just get a bad first impression or is this package actually good and I somehow missed it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KKlare

KKlare

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:08 PM

$5 is for all users that have the HD pack and that requires at least AT60 or else $5 additional.
I enjoy Monsters and GuyTV (sometimes it is Film Fest HD) and some of GalleryHD although the guide is often wrong and once in a while Rush.
The repetition does not account for we who use DVRs.
I wish VOOM had closed captioning. Some movies should have had less grainy negatives -- I guess that happens transferring 50-year old films.
-Ken

#3 OFFLINE   jerryez

jerryez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:06 PM

You should have had HD two years ago. We were lucky to have one HD program a night in HD. PBS was a three hour loop only shown in the evenings. Things have gotten better and will only continue to get even more better. Try a little patience. There is just not that much hd film in the cans yet.
jerry

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:07 PM

Welcome to Voom, the world's premier HD network! :)

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:46 PM

Did I just get a bad first impression or is this package actually good and I somehow missed it?

I don't quite know how to tell you this, but you need to decide for yourself. Some love Voom. Some don't. If you're not sure, would $15 kill you to try it for 3 months and then draw your own conclusions? If you don't like it, wait or drop it now. What's the big deal?

#6 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:01 PM

Rave & Equator are my most watched. The News channel is great but seems to repeat about every 15 minutes. Its worth the $5 a month I suppose but not a penny more.
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#7 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:20 PM

I agree $5.00 month yes, $10.00 month no. I like spanish soccer on Rush. GuyTV has an occasional good movie, but I suspect I'll see all the good movies after 1 year. Rave is fine for about a month, then you've seen it all.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:31 PM

There is just not that much hd film in the cans yet.

Not only is there a lot of stuff (mostly made-for-TV) made in HD digital format since the late 1990s... ANY film can be scanned & digitized at the highest digital resolution. Film has a much higher resolution than the current digital process, so ANY movie can be scanned and converted to HD and have the expected HD detail.

Old movies, or ones on film that has not been properly preserved or has scratches, etc. obviously doesn't produce the same high-quality... and people who don't know what they are doing (i.e. not professionals) during the conversion can make bad conversions too... but the truth is there is lots of HD-capable content out there.

The primary driving force right now is that it is expensive to convert /scan these films for HD... and there just aren't that many of us with HD sets yet to warrant most companies digging deep into their pockets to spend that money.

But it will happen eventually.

#9 OFFLINE   SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:00 AM

La Liga (Spanish soccer featuring Barcelona, Real Madrid, and etc.) soccer on Rush HD. That's my fav. Voom channel thus far.

#10 OFFLINE   Robert Headley

Robert Headley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:39 AM

I have a feeling that that animania channel is showing mostly public domain animation. meaning, free to air. There really isn't alot of HD animation out there, probably do the lack of a real HD disc format as of this writing. That will probably change once a HD DVD standard is set, Hollywood thought DVD would kill its sales, but it has actually become the driving force of hollywood, wait a bit longer and the HD will be there.

#11 OFFLINE   Chandu

Chandu

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:49 AM

La Liga (Spanish soccer featuring Barcelona, Real Madrid, and etc.) soccer on Rush HD. That's my fav. Voom channel thus far.

Absolutely!

They have exclusive coverage UEFA Cup matches in HD as well! :biggthump

#12 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:31 AM

Monsters - Looks to have the most promise but it would be nice to have current monster movies as well.

Personally, I would prefer they stick with the older stuff. Once they start throwing in new titles it would become just another ThrillerMax clone.

#13 OFFLINE   SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:35 AM

Absolutely!

Wow, UEFA Cup matches, too? I just found out Rush HD carried La Liga so this is better news!

#14 OFFLINE   KKlare

KKlare

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:59 AM

Forgot Majestic
-Ken

I enjoy Monsters and GuyTV and Majestic (sometimes it is Film Fest HD) and some of GalleryHD although the guide is often wrong and once in a while Rush.

#15 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 03:26 PM

I'm a brand new Dish subscriber and I'm hungry for good HD programming. It's a bit of a shock to see just how few HD shows are available for Dish. When I had my account activated I asked them to add Voom for additional HD options.

I've had a few hours to watch the channels and they have made a very poor impression so far. Does it get any better?

GuyTV - Shows 2 movies alternating for the entire day. Two movies per 24 hours!?

Animania - I happen to LOVE anime and computer generated animation. These things could be a great showcase for HD technology. Instead I see the ancient very crude animation of Dick Tracy, Felix the Cat and some simple animated series. While there is some nostalgia value I have to ask "Why HD?"

The other showcase channels are good for a few minutes of Oooh! for the HD picture but does anyone actually keep these for more than a month? I find the current content so far to be barely worth $5 a month which I think is just the introductory price.

Wait about 6 to 7 years. You'll have it all.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#16 OFFLINE   socceteer

socceteer

Icon

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:30 PM

YES

I love the HD Spanish league. on Rush, I also enjoy watching some of the original shows on Equator and the concerts on Rave. They do repeat on all the channels, but at least I get to see repeated movies on HD than old movies not HD on TNT or many other stations
DVR 622 , DVR 510, HDTV 811
Satelites: 110,119,148,129 Switch 44

#17 OFFLINE   socceteer

socceteer

Icon

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:32 PM

Absolutely!

They do..?

I have not seen a UEFA game televised yet...! When will this happen..?
DVR 622 , DVR 510, HDTV 811
Satelites: 110,119,148,129 Switch 44

#18 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:51 PM

I've had a few hours to watch the channels and they have made a very poor impression so far.

You haven't even responded to all the posts in response to your question.

If it's only taken you a few hours to decide you don't like the Voom channels and to start moaning and groaning about it, you'd be a fool to keep the Voom package.

#19 OFFLINE   dave1234

dave1234

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:55 PM

The Spanish league and UEFA cup games are usually early Sat. and Sun. morning(really early on the West coast)....

#20 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:19 AM

Details on selected HD programming carried by E* can also be found in the HD Programming forum HERE

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...