Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

721 Problems - Possible Switch Error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nickolmm

nickolmm

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:47 AM

Sorry this is so long ...

The last two days my 721 has been not working properly. All day yesterday none of the timers fired. However, none of the timers fired, because the system was not working right - and no one noticed. Anyhow, the system kept "retrieving the data from the satellite". To fix I did a hard reset. During the reset at the "Starting Receiver" screen, the 721 automatically restarted again. The only way out of the loop was to remove the 2 satellite lines in. I finally got the receiver to come up, but all my stations were gone (including locals - except for some reason NICK, NickToons, and one other station).

I called Dish, because I tried everything from pulling the card to doing switch checks and nothing worked. They had me check the switch. Reception said OK, one of the boxes said quad, but the switch line said "No Switch" (Its the last line in the table of info). They had me unplug the satellite feeds and do another check switch. After that failed, they had me replug the satellite feeds and do another check switch. That passed, but the switch line still said "No Switch". After still not having anything, I did another reset and when it came back everything was OK. Guide and channels were there. However, the switch line still said "No switch". Is this normal? I can't remember. Dish customer support said no. They wanted me next to switch my 721 and 625 and see if the switch problem persists.

I then thought it was fixed, but this morning when I turned it on, the entire screen was black, except for about 1 inch on each the left and right side of the screen. The guide appeared to be OK. If I went to the DVR screen, the picture showed up fine on the corner. After another reset (and another "retreiving data from satellite"), the picture came up fine.

What's up with my 721? Anyone else having similar problems? Any suggestions would be great.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:44 AM

No, the wrong switch type (or no switch) is not normal. How is your signal strength? Low signal strength can cause the problems you are experiencing.
Bill R

#3 OFFLINE   nickolmm

nickolmm

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:32 AM

For 119 in the low 90s. For 110 in the low to mid 80s.

#4 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:11 PM

Nick,

It is possible that your signal is dropping at times. I would check the signal strength while the problem is occuring. If the signal is O.K. I would say that there is something wrong with your 721.
Bill R

Protected By... spam firewall...And...