Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Has SD Picture Quality Degraded?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:03 PM

Is it my eyes? Lately, it appears as if many SD channels are looking more compressed than usual. Some of the least-popular channels have always looked poor IMHO, but lately I find that FNC and many other popular chanels (not all channels) just lack detail, have many artifacts and appear rather flat on my HD big screen.

I have no real way of comparing the old with the new, but PQ just seems to be sliding downhill to the point where I'm beginning to miss good ol' analog.

Just wondering if others have noticed this. I have a Dish 811.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   alebowgm

alebowgm

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:53 AM

Maybe it is just your market?

#3 OFFLINE   ww2154

ww2154

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:52 AM

my pq seems to have improved in the last few months

#4 OFFLINE   waltinvt

waltinvt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:36 AM

my pq seems to have improved in the last few months

Dish only has limited PQ which they cycle around the country. Vermont is having their good signals now, so we'll probably be looking poorly again by NFL playoff time :D
A Moral Wrong Is Not A Civil Right:flag:

#5 OFFLINE   Ghostwriter

Ghostwriter

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:09 AM

As I have stated in some other threads that also touched on this subject my PQ is outstanding at the moment far better than even my local cable provider.

#6 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:13 AM

Dish only has limited PQ which they cycle around the country. Vermont is having their good signals now, so we'll probably be looking poorly again by NFL playoff time :D

Other than local market channels, how can PQ vary by location when we're all viewing the same source? One thing for sure, this small sampling illustrates how opinions can vary.

#7 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:44 AM

Moman,
He was joking with you. That's why he threw the :D in there.

#8 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:30 AM

Actually the NHL CI SD channels have looked bad for the games they take off the FSN regionals in the 400's.

#9 OFFLINE   Antknee

Antknee

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:53 PM

My locals look horrible. I just moved from the chicago area and had DirecTv there, the PQ was very good there

#10 OFFLINE   waltinvt

waltinvt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:27 AM

My locals look horrible. I just moved from the chicago area and had DirecTv there, the PQ was very good there

Not to worry, the good news is Rockford,MI is scheduled for their improved PQ from mid December through 2nd Saturday in Janurary.:D The bad news is everything's a re-run durning Christmas break (and don't anyone give me any sh*t about it being called "Winter" break).:mad:

#11 OFFLINE   Antknee

Antknee

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:59 AM

Well, that is sort of good....
How do you know all this info?

#12 OFFLINE   cohagen

cohagen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:34 AM

I totally agree that many/most of the SD channels are crap! When you are looking at all black sometimes it is a ridiculously sloppy mess of chunks of pixelation.

Please everyone, try to compare to what you think the ORIGINAL SOURCE would look like! SD programming on a tube TV should look very clean, no artifacts, no pixels!

I'm totally disgusted by what Dish passes of as "TV".

I really think the members of this forum should band together and ask Dish to identify what level of compression they use for various channels. If Dish would provide this info, and DirecTV, we could perhaps get the two into a picture quality war. Maybe then they could advertise better picture qualitly than the other!

How Dish thinks they can take an SD signal, and compress it the point where it looks SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE is beyond me.

#13 OFFLINE   waltinvt

waltinvt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:45 PM

Well, that is sort of good....
How do you know all this info?

Just KIDDING..........sorry - you know, Friday and all that.:lol:

#14 OFFLINE   kb7oeb

kb7oeb

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:00 PM

Anytime I watch SD on dish I feel like I am watching something I downloaded over the internet. I have HD but I can see it on the SD tv too.

#15 OFFLINE   cohagen

cohagen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:07 AM

Anytime I watch SD on dish I feel like I am watching something I downloaded over the internet. I have HD but I can see it on the SD tv too.

Totally agree with you. Ok, it's obviously better than an internet download. But all the same type of pixel artifacts you get from internet video are present in the Dish SD programming.

This is not how the source material looks like!

I think we all need to rally together on this forum, and let Dish know how unhappy we are about picure quality.

#16 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:00 AM

Maybe if Dish didn't carry so many useless channels, there would be more bandwidth available for the channels we do watch. But they're playing a numbers game: Dish 500, Dish 1,000, etc.

How many shopping channels (for example) do we really need????? Must-carry only makes matters worse. If they must-carry, giv 'em more bandwidth!

C'mon, how many channels to we really need? I would prefer to have 200, truly clear DIGITAL channels rather than 500 blurry ones.

I agree. It does look more and more like an Internet download than real TV.

#17 OFFLINE   Orange Man

Orange Man

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:06 AM

Yea the so-called "blacks" just look sorry most of the time. Any large backdrop or scene in black and darks look blotchy and washed. It makes VHS look like HD. With locals it's the worst. Some days are better than others and it can vary alittle bit. Even on clear days it can be bad.

Kenny J.
Nashville TN

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,691 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:43 PM

Yea the so-called "blacks" just look sorry most of the time. Any large backdrop or scene in black and darks look blotchy and washed. It makes VHS look like HD. With locals it's the worst. Some days are better than others and it can vary alittle bit. Even on clear days it can be bad.

I also see the same problem with "reds" as well. Seems like any solid color or black is apt to show up the most if there is a large area coverage.

However, keep in mind that even if they turned down to a minimum level of compression, MPEG compression is a lossy compression even at its best. Whoever believes that digital=better is on a false train to begin with.

I would like to see compression decrease, but am resigned to the reality that this is the future of TV. In my area, I used to also have problems with signal on analog cable either oversaturated colors or noise in the signal... and apparently I was the only one to ever complain because they were always hesitant to send anyone out... but whenever they did, they immediately realized and saw what I was complaining about and would fix it for a while... but most people seem to not be bothered by poor quality, so I've learned mostly to deal with it. Sadly.

#19 OFFLINE   dpd146

dpd146

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:02 AM

However, keep in mind that even if they turned down to a minimum level of compression, MPEG compression is a lossy compression even at its best. Whoever believes that digital=better is on a false train to begin with.

MPEG compression is what is used for DVD's, so that is not the problem. I would be happy w/ DVD quality channels.

"Present DBS systems have a bandwidth problem: too many channels. These companies have resorted to some filtering to reduce the bandwidth per program. This allows them to carry more channels, but it gives the images a slightly blurry look. They call it “noise filtering”, but in effect they have reduced the resolution to below 640x480. Exactly what this resolution is has not been stated (550x400? Nobody knows.) On a 17 inch TV this problem is not very noticeable. But the larger the set is, the more offensive it is." (HDTV Primer)

Hopefully the future of E* will be to use their additional sats to increase bandwidth not channels, but I doubt it.

#20 OFFLINE   nuckingfutz

nuckingfutz

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:12 AM

actually mpeg compression is the problem. if it wasnt then why is everyone moving to mpg4?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...