Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Has SD Picture Quality Degraded?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,866 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:45 PM

MPEG compression is what is used for DVD's, so that is not the problem. I would be happy w/ DVD quality channels.

I'm not trying to be argumentative... and I agree DVDs look better than most of the digital SD on satellite or cable... but MPEG compression is still a loss-based compression algorithm. In theory, and without being too technical, MPEG attempts to "average" changes in the picture out and has a formula by which it "throws away" pixels that are deemed to be less noticable.

Even the best (including Superbit DVDs) still have flaws that you can see if you have a large enough TV and good enough eyesight. You just don't notice it as much as you do on satellite where the compression is turned higher.

Problem is, they need to compress it somewhat or we'd only be able to have a fraction of the channels we have... and like you, for SD I can be happy most of the time with DVD quality if that's what they would leave the compression at... but history is proving that isn't going to happen.

We can only cross our fingers that MPEG4 lets them have their bandwidth and we get an improved picture as well... but I'm not ready to hold my breath just yet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   kb7oeb

kb7oeb

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:48 PM

HD also uses mpeg2, with out compression I don't think an entire transponder would have enough room for a single channel. Not sure about SD but I know HD wouldn't

#23 OFFLINE   rhiggs

rhiggs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:08 PM

I hadn't watched the encor channels for over a year but decided to this weerkend. I was rather surprised with the poor quality, pixalizations during action scenes, etc. I watched Cold Mountain, The Missing and Kill Bill, Vol 1. Anytime there was any fast movement, all I got was digital blocks!

#24 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:02 PM

Ufortunately you have two groups of people clambering to be heard. The people that want more channels to choose from, and the people who want better PQ/SQ from the channels they already have....Hopefully mpeg4 will help accomplish both, and of course, more sats up there will help...it will just take time...

#25 OFFLINE   cdoyle

cdoyle

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:10 PM

geeze, I thought it was just me. I've really noticed it since I've signed up, the black screens have that washed out, blotchy look to them.

Or if there is a scene with a lot of action, you see squares here and there.

If it's a bandwidth problem, then they need to get rid of many of those worthless channels. I can't believe how many channels I have blocked out, because who would watch them??

#26 OFFLINE   cebbigh

cebbigh

Icon

• Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:08 PM

Don't know the answer to this because I've been on dish for over 5 years. How does SD compare between dish and comcast? I've assumed dish is superior, is that a fallacy?
Chuck
TV: Mitsubishi 57" 1080p DLP (WD-Y577)
DTV: HR20-100 & HR21-700
BLU-RAY (Panasonic BD-35)
Netflix/Roku player

#27 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:01 AM

As with any comparison to cable, it all depends on your local cable provider. Witht eh right setup, everyone gets teh exact same PQ from E*, or D* for that matter, with cable its hit or miss depnding on your provider and where you are. I setup a guys new Plasma tonight and his PQ on TW digital cable in Canton Ohio was absolutely lousy...I was thankful to get home and get back to my D* PQ...other cities have great cable PQ, but not here...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...