Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2006 Winter Olympics in HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   frossie

frossie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:36 PM

I am sorry if this has been discussed already but I can't find it.

Will there be HD coverage on DISH of the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino (on the 110 or 119 birds)? Here in Hawaii our 30 inch dish is not big enough for HD, and I'd like to know if there's any point ordering a larger dish - the Olympics would be a major motivating factor, what with all the white crush on the SD broadcast.

Aloha,

Frossie

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:22 PM

Dish and NBC had 24 hour tape delay of last year's Summer Olympics in HD, as I remember. Past performance is no guarantee of future performance, but it is an indicator.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,765 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:31 PM

I have not heard any plans for special coverage. I guess we'll have to start digging and see if anything has been mentioned and missed. I only recall seeing commercials for the Olympics for the past couple of weeks.

JL

#4 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:58 AM

This years Olympics in HD is an exact simulcast of what will be showing on NBC, so therefore no special HD feed this year

#5 OFFLINE   gbjbany

gbjbany

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:31 PM

The 2006 soccer world-cup is supposed to be broadcast in HD.

Extract from Bsuiness week article - I Want My HDTV -- But Which Flavor?
"HD broadcasts will be widely available in the U.S. and Japan next year. They'll begin in earnest in China to prepare for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. And in the rest of the world, HD broadcasts are developing more quickly than was expected. For instance, the 2006 World Cup will be broadcast in Europe in full HD."

#6 OFFLINE   bk63ross

bk63ross

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:11 PM

Frossie just curious as to what Dish or the other local cable carriers are now carrying out there in HD? I was once a local there, but have now moved to Cali and may just move back to the Islands...Will I be missing out on HD?

#7 OFFLINE   frossie

frossie

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:54 PM

Hi bk6ross,
I think if you lived here before you know the answer will be "it depends on which island". Here on Big Island we get two digital OTA channels with one (ABC) showing HD content occasionally. On Dish, you can get the HD channels on the 110 bird but you need at least a 45 inch dish. (Our 30 is not good enough).

For Oahu and/or the other islands you can search for HD programming on http://www.titantv.com to see what's available.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...