Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FCC Moves on Significantly-Viewed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,213 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:36 AM

Late last week, the Federal Communications Commission
released an order that paves the way for satellite TV services
to offer significantly-viewed signals of out-of-market TV
stations to subscribers.

The FCC said the significantly-viewed rules for satellite TV
will operate in much the same fashion as they have for cable.
Involved parties must petition the FCC when seeking to either
add a station to the significantly-viewed list for a particular
community, or restrict carriage of a listed station through
network non-duplication or syndicated exclusivity rules.

Also, the FCC said a satellite TV subscriber must first be
receiving a local market network station in order to be
eligible to receive a significantly-viewed station affiliated
with the same network.

In addition, satellite TV services must notify all TV stations
in a market of their intention to retransmit a
significantly-viewed signal within 60 days of service.

The significantly-viewed rules are part of the FCC's
implementation of the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and
Reauthorization Act.

www.SkyReport.com - reprinted with permission

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:47 PM

Late last week, the Federal Communications Commission
released an order that paves the way for satellite TV services
to offer significantly-viewed signals of out-of-market TV
stations to subscribers.

Also, the FCC said a satellite TV subscriber must first be
receiving a local market network station in order to be
eligible to receive a significantly-viewed station affiliated
with the same network.

There are at least two exceptions to the LiL requirement;

1. SV can be imported where there is no affiliate with the same network affiliation as the SV station even if there is no LiL.

2. SV can be imported to anyone who obtains a waiver from the in-market affiliate.

For instance, Utica, NY is not a LiL market for either D* or E*. There is no CBS affiliate in Utica. The CBS station in Schenectady, WRGB, is SV in both Otsego County and Herkimer County. Those two counties may receive WRGB automatically. The ABC station from Albany, WTEN, is SV in Herkimer County. A waiver from the Utica ABC affiliate, WUTR, would be necessary prior to importation of WTEN.

The satellite companies are not required by law to provide SV stations but may do so at their own discretion. There are 60 day reporting requirements to affiliates that must be mailed out prior to any SV importation.

#3 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:57 PM

One other statutory exception in the SHVREA is already being served by Dish. The two Mississippi counties in the Baton Rouge TV Market are now getting significantly viewed channels from Jaclkson. Baton Rouge locals are not available through Dish at this time.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#4 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:05 AM

One other statutory exception in the SHVREA is already being served by Dish. The two Mississippi counties in the Baton Rouge TV Market are now getting significantly viewed channels from Jaclkson. Baton Rouge locals are not available through Dish at this time.

See ya
Tony

The third exception is for the entire state with only one affiliate if that station is located in the capital TV market. This is true for some stations in Burlington, VT, but not the NBC station in Plattsburg, NY.

(Mississippi has five CBS affiliates.)

#5 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:57 PM

The third exception is for the entire state with only one affiliate if that station is located in the capital TV market. This is true for some stations in Burlington, VT, but not the NBC station in Plattsburg, NY.

I'm assuming this is only for the top 4 networks, and not the WB?!

~Alan

#6 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:53 PM

I'm assuming this is only for the top 4 networks, and not the WB?!

~Alan

I went back and reread the text of SHVERA pertaining to capital stations. It's more limiting than I remembered. I guess it pertains to Jackson, MS stations.

``(iv) CERTAIN ADDITIONAL STATIONS.--If 2 adjacent counties in a single State are in a local market comprised principally of counties located in another State, the statutory license provided for in subparagraph (A) shall apply to the secondary transmission by a satellite carrier to subscribers in those 2 counties of the primary transmissions of any network station located in the capital of the State in which such 2 counties are located, if--

``(I) the 2 counties are located in a local market that is in the top 100 markets for the year 2003 according to Nielsen Media Research; and

``(II) the total number of television households in the 2 counties combined did not exceed 10,000 for the year 2003 according to Nielsen Media Research.

#7 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:59 PM

That is the legislation that specifically allowes the two counties in MS that are in Baton Rouge to receive Jackson, MS locals.

There is another paragraph that specifically deals with WMUR without naming the station.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#8 OFFLINE   RaceTrack

RaceTrack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

Will they just on with it, cause I want my SV stations, bout the whole Tulsa market is SV here.

#9 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:27 PM

There is another paragraph that specifically deals with WMUR without naming the station.

Tony

Can you post that paragraph or a link to it? Thanks!

#10 OFFLINE   jrwinter

jrwinter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:28 PM

Have the SV channels started yet? If so what are the channels for the fresno-visalia california 93257 area?

#11 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:03 AM

Can you post that paragraph or a link to it? Thanks!

http://thomas.loc.go...i5GxF:e1881227:
Two patagraphs above the text quoted in Tower Guy's post:

`(i) STATES WITH SINGLE FULL-POWER NETWORK STATION- In a State in which there is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission a single full-power station that was a network station on January 1, 1995, the statutory license provided for in subparagraph (A) shall apply to the secondary transmission by a satellite carrier of the primary transmission of that station to any subscriber in a community that is located within that State and that is not within the first 50 television markets as listed in the regulations of the Commission as in effect on such date (47 CFR 76.51).

Basically WMUR is the only network station that is the only network station in a state as of 1995.

New Hampshire has three TV markets. Boston (which is WMUR's TV Market so secondary retransmission doesn't apply), Burlington, VT (Market #90), and Portland, ME (Market #74) So anyone in the state of NH is either in the WMUR market already or "not within the first 50 television markets".

Gotta love legalese!

Here is an exception that I am pretty sure applies to New Mexico:

`(ii) STATES WITH ALL NETWORK STATIONS AND SUPERSTATIONS IN SAME LOCAL MARKET- In a State in which all network stations and superstations licensed by the Federal Communications Commission within that State as of January 1, 1995, are assigned to the same local market and that local market does not encompass all counties of that State, the statutory license provided under subparagraph (A) shall apply to the secondary transmission by a satellite carrier of the primary transmissions of such station to all subscribers in the State who reside in a local market that is within the first 50 major television markets as listed in the regulations of the Commission as in effect on such date (section 76.51 of title 47 of the Code of Federal Regulations).

All the NM network stations are in the Albuquerque market. One county in NM belongs to El Paso and 4 belong to Amarillo and one half a county to Midland. None of these are a to 50 market.

See ya
Tony

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#12 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:22 PM

I guess they don't count NH Public TV (Ch 11) as a network affiliate. IMO, they should be available to any subscriber in NH also.

The odd one is WMTW, also an ABC affiliate. In 1995, their transmitter was in NH, but several years ago they moved it to Maine. Also, I don't know if they count the city of license or the transmitter location for the purpose of this provision, WMTW was always licensed to ME.

Another thing I recently read is that for cable systems, any system in Vermont is going to be allowed to carry (or perhaps required to carry, I'm not sure) the network affiliates from Burlington, even if they are located out of the Burlington stations OTA signal area. I don't know if this will apply to satellite also.

#13 OFFLINE   wkomorow

wkomorow

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:29 PM

For some reason, Dish has been able to provide Vermont Public TV to everyone in Vermont regardless of the DMA in which they reside. I know several people in Southern VT who have VT public television from Dish, even though they get the Channel 17 WMHT PBS from Albany and by living in Bennington county live in the Albany DMA. Maybe it is just the Leahy factor.

#14 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:13 PM

For some reason, Dish has been able to provide Vermont Public TV to everyone in Vermont regardless of the DMA in which they reside.

I know there is a ton of confusion about this because of all the different rules in play. One set of rules in independent of any other. You just have to figure out which rules you are talking about!

A station/network can at any time they wish give permission to a satellite company to carry their signal anywhere the network owns the rights. In this case, Vermont Public TV has allowed Dish to carry their signal to the entire state of Vermont since VPTV owns the rights to that programming state wide. North Carolina, Arkansas, Mississippi and Georgia Public TV have made similar deals.

I guess they don't count NH Public TV (Ch 11) as a network affiliate. IMO, they should be available to any subscriber in NH also.

The odd one is WMTW, also an ABC affiliate. In 1995, their transmitter was in NH, but several years ago they moved it to Maine. Also, I don't know if they count the city of license or the transmitter location for the purpose of this provision, WMTW was always licensed to ME.

PBS is not an FCC recognized "network". PBS is technically nothing more than a distribution service and not a network in the same sence as ABC, etc.

As to the other ABC affiliate, they are looking at station licenced TO the state and not transmission towers.

See ya
Tony

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#15 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:28 PM

I wish that DISH would carry Maryland Public Tv in the Washington, DC DMA as DirecTV does. I have askeda few times but the rely is that "The FCC won't allow it." Since they allow DirecTV that does not make much sense.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#16 OFFLINE   RaceTrack

RaceTrack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:07 PM

Nothing makes since with this stuff, I just wish they would let us have the channels that we have been wanting for years.

#17 OFFLINE   stonecold

stonecold

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:54 AM

OK I have a SV Question

First off I have 2 ABC statsions at are considered local,

1. WWSB channel 40 ( Sarasota) (Home town)
2 WFTS Cahnnel 28 (Tampa)

Now Sarasota is included into the Market 13 (the Tampa Bay market) Now many many years ago all the stations switched networks except the nbc station. hence leaving us with 2 ABCs

Pre flip flop
3- PBS
8- NBC
10- IND
13- CBS
16- PBS (ran by USF)
28- FOX
32 - IND
38- IND
40 - ABC
44 - IND
50 - HSN
62 - IND

Post Flip Flop
3- PBS
8- NBC
10- CBS
13- FOX
16- PBS
28- ABC
32- IND
38- IND / later WB
40- ABC/ then went indie for a couple of months/lawsuit/back to ABC
44- IND/ later UPN
50- HSN/later some hispanic channel
62- IND/later Univsion
66- Pax

Now channel 50 WWSB contract with ABC for syndication was not up and was mad about the channel 28 deal. 40 then sued ABC and took the matter up with the FCC. a few months later fcc made a market inside a market as the newspaper called it. Basicly channel 40 got to keep the ABC syndication as long as they reduced transmitter power and only served 2 counties inside market 13 which happen to be Sarasota and Manatee County. Comcast offers both 28 and 40.... Both dish and direct do not carry 40 , After talking to a ceo csr about a a year and half ago they simply stated that they did not have to carry more than one abc so they would not .

Now on to the SV when I look up the list it does not show channel 40 but I know the channel gets at leat 25% viewership in town as it is the only place to get the minor sarasota news. If something big happens it on the tampa stations but all the smaller things are on WWSB 40. is there any way now with the SV to force Dish to provide channel 40 and hey while I dont know what it is Channel 36 rom cape coral as it is on the list.

I do live in Sarasota Florida which resides in Sarasota County so I am with in my rights to view the channel by the old fcc ruling But I just dont know if i could use SV to force dish to provid channel 40 to sarasota and manatee residence?

#18 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:12 PM

OK I have a SV Question

is there any way now with the SV to force Dish to provide channel 40 and hey while I dont know what it is Channel 36 rom cape coral as it is on the list.

I do live in Sarasota Florida which resides in Sarasota County so I am with in my rights to view the channel by the old fcc ruling But I just dont know if i could use SV to force dish to provid channel 40 to sarasota and manatee residence?

The short answer is: no. SV doesn't mandate the satellite companies to carry anything. It allows them to carry stations from neighboring DMA's that are considered SV if they choose to. You can bet the only way that Dish will ever carry channel 40 in your area is if they see it as a way to add a signifigant income stream to their bottom line. As with all business, $$$ talks.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#19 OFFLINE   derwin0

derwin0

Icon

• Registered
  • 538 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:15 PM

Couldn't WWSB just ask for must carry?

#20 OFFLINE   stonecold

stonecold

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:03 PM

Couldn't WWSB just ask for must carry?

From what WWSB Network Director has said is that they tried a must carry but the fcc has ruled that Dish/Direct are not required to carry it as there is WFTS 28 which provides ABC. Dish also does not have to recongize the fact that WWSB is in it own market.

I just dont know most pople in town hate comcast so much that they have either direct or dish and most of them would pay an extra 2 dollars a month to add WWSB to the locals. but dish and direct have no listened to those pleas.

spam firewall