Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Intro to HDTV issues ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   obrienaj

obrienaj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:28 PM

I have paid no real attention to the HDTV discussions here in the past but I am now toying with the idea of a plasma screen TV. Aside from the expense of a plasma TV, what are the Dish Network expenses? I assume I have to get an HDTV receiver and would obviously want one with DVR capabilities. Are there any Dish Netowrk "deals" for existing customer, or do I have to fork out hundreds of more dollars for a new receiver. How does this compare to Cable TV,do they give their HDTV capable boxes away for free ?
Andy.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kb7oeb

kb7oeb

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:20 PM

Dish HD DVR has high cost to lease and even more to buy. My local cable co leases HD DVR for $15 a month.

In my case it was cheaper to buy a non dvr 811 off ebay than pay all the fees just to lease one from dish.

Another thing to consider is network HD, your cable co probably has your locals in hd, with sat you have to use an antenna.

#3 OFFLINE   DVDDAD

DVDDAD

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:16 AM

Some existing customers have had luck e-mailing ceo@echostar.com and requesting a $250 lease deal on the 942. I decided to buy my second 942 because I think that in the long run when the new MPEG4 boxes come out I'll be a head of the game by owning. There's always eBay and getting a 921 to get you started. Go with a dual tuner DVR, once you have a DVR you'll never go back to watching TV any other way!
Best regards, Adam Okula
http://www.aokagency.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...