Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH to release the 411 receiver by end of the month?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
143 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:21 PM

I was bombarded by customers so I couldn't watch the Retailer Chat too well but did any other retailer catch that they're releasing the 411 by the end of the month? They didn't announce a new satellite launch for MPEG4, though. And how come no one did a retailer chat recap this time?! It was chock full of info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:24 PM

Don't need a new bird. Technically they could use the same sat for both MPEG2 and 4 simultaneously from what I have come to understand.

#3 OFFLINE   digiblur

digiblur

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:20 PM

I was bombarded by customers so I couldn't watch the Retailer Chat too well but did any other retailer catch that they're releasing the 411 by the end of the month? They didn't announce a new satellite launch for MPEG4, though. And how come no one did a retailer chat recap this time?! It was chock full of info.

Yep... no new bird needed. They could even run analog on the transponders if they wanted, as long as you had an analog receiver to pick it up.

#4 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:01 PM

Yep... no new bird needed. They could even run analog on the transponders if they wanted, as long as you had an analog receiver to pick it up.

If analog were legal in the DBS band.

Yep, they can even intermix Mpeg2 and H.264(Mpeg4) on the same transponder.

#5 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:12 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think they could intermix QPSK and 8PSK on the same transponder.

#6 OFFLINE   SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:18 PM

I actually meant to ask where (which satellite and transponders) the new MPEG4 satellite programming will be uplinked and available from. Right now, there are only test channels uplinked but no HD LIL MPEG4 channels uplinked. They didn't mention where the new MPEG4 channels would come from and you bet I'm VERY curious.

#7 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:20 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think they could intermix QPSK and 8PSK on the same transponder.

That is correct. QPSK and 8PSK are modulation techniques. Mpeg2 and H.264(Mpeg4) are encoding techniques.

#8 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:27 PM

I actually meant to ask where (which satellite and transponders) the new MPEG4 satellite programming will be uplinked and available from. Right now, there are only test channels uplinked but no HD LIL MPEG4 channels uplinked. They didn't mention where the new MPEG4 channels would come from and you bet I'm VERY curious.

It's a secret. As far as Digital Locals are concerned, they may not actually know either. The plan for those may still be in formation. We have seen what appears to be some HD Distant Networks activity on EchoStar 5, but they have not said that is the plan for those.

#9 OFFLINE   juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:33 PM

I know this queston would be rediculed at the "other" site...If they were to put 3 HD channels on a transponder .would they be able to encode them mpeg2 and mpeg4 simutaneously..or would they have to put two different verisions( mpeg2 and mpeg4) of the same channel taking up twice as much bandwidth?

#10 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:38 PM

I know this queston would be rediculed at the "other" site...If they were to put 3 HD channels on a transponder .would they be able to encode them mpeg2 and mpeg4 simutaneously..or would they have to put two different verisions( mpeg2 and mpeg4) of the same channel taking up twice as much bandwidth?

The latter, but it would not take as much as twice the bandwidth of an Mpeg2 channel.

3 HD channels would likely not fit.

#11 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 04:41 PM

Apparently they showed a 411 and a 211vip. Anyone now anything about the 211vip, other then it has an ethernet adapter (for future use).
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,749 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:36 PM

The best solution would be to encode it in MPEG2 only or MPEG4 only. MPEG4 receivers could get both types of channels. MPEG2 receivers would just get the MPEG2 channels. Whether they choose MPEG2 or MPEG4 depends on the audience. (E* has announced plans to make all new HD MPEG4.)

E* CAN mix MPEG2 and MPEG4 on the same transponder - and newer receivers can pick up 8PSK receivers - so if E* wanted to introduce new channels in 8PSK/MPEG2 and upgrade receivers as needed for old subscribers they could. (8PSK can put 18 SD channels in the space of 12.)

JL

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,749 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:10 AM

Apparently they showed a 411 and a 211vip. Anyone now anything about the 211vip, other then it has an ethernet adapter (for future use).

Update: Based on Tech Forum -

The 411 and 211 will be released within a week or two - both to replace the 811 (Basic HD receiver) in the shift to MPEG4. The 211 is the newer model.

Evidently between the design of the 411 and now they came up with a reason for an ethernet port, which is only on the 211. Given the choice of just these two I'd look at the one with more ports. :)

(But I'm holding out for a "422" or a DVR anyways so 211 vs 411 doesn't matter to me.)

JL

#14 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:35 AM

Evidently between the design of the 411 and now they came up with a reason for an ethernet port, which is only on the 211. Given the choice of just these two I'd look at the one with more ports. :)

JL

Marketing BS...Report viewing habits...other privacy abuses?:confused:

I'd like to see DVR's with ethernet to allow programming to be moved between them to view on other TV in my house other than the one that I originally recorded it on.

#15 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:40 AM

I eagerly await the ethernet port and it's full functionality. I like the ideas behind it. Now if they can get those ideas fully functional?

#16 OFFLINE   UTFAN

UTFAN

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:12 PM

I don't watch Tech Forums, engineers talking to other engineers. Hate to critizize. but ya'll make it even more complicated.

At the risk of sounding obtuse, I have a 921, (yes, I know it's a lemon but it works generally good most of the time) will I be able to get additional HD channels or will I have to fork out more money for a receiver to handle what ever the latest technology is?

I just like to come home and watch TV, I don't care from which satellite, just need to know my options.

Thanks to whomever can translate gooblygook into English!

UTFAN
(See everyone at the Rose Bowl!) :confused:

#17 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:25 PM

I don't watch Tech Forums, engineers talking to other engineers. Hate to critizize. but ya'll make it even more complicated.

At the risk of sounding obtuse, I have a 921, (yes, I know it's a lemon but it works generally good most of the time) will I be able to get additional HD channels or will I have to fork out more money for a receiver to handle what ever the latest technology is?

I just like to come home and watch TV, I don't care from which satellite, just need to know my options.

Thanks to whomever can translate gooblygook into English!

UTFAN
(See everyone at the Rose Bowl!) :confused:

My brother Jim lived in Westcliffe, raised some alpacas and caused other mayhem a few years ago. The answer is yes soon maybe

#18 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:50 PM

The 411 and 211 will be released within a week or two - both to replace the 811 (Basic HD receiver) in the shift to MPEG4. The 211 is the newer model.

(But I'm holding out for a "422" or a DVR anyways so 211 vs 411 doesn't matter to me.)

JL

Just for clarification, It is my understanding that the 411 and the 211 are the same product. They decided to use 211 for the product nomenclature in lieu of 411.

#19 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:07 PM

Just for clarification, It is my understanding that the 411 and the 211 are the same product. They decided to use 211 for the product nomenclature in lieu of 411.

I understood from the Retailer Chat that they are indeed two different receivers.

#20 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:18 PM

Only the ethernet connector distingishes the two, which Jackson explained. The 211 is the final released product. The 411 will not be mass produced. Again, this is just my understanding.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...