Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Future Dishnetwork and HDTV signal.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   primey

primey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:17 AM

I have some older TV's in the household and was wondering if Dishnetwork and Direct TV will do away with the NON_HDTV receivers and Old Dish 500 Satellite in the future and force everyone to have HDTV receiver and HDTV compatible TV's. Thanks for any info on the future of Dishnetwork TV.

PRIMEY

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:35 AM

If everything goes to MPEG4, I would say yes everything would be HD, but you don't need an HDTV for an HD receiver. Any TV with A/V inputs can view HD down rezzed to 480i.
KL

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:08 PM

In a way, E* will be saving you money in the digital transition. Future receivers (such as the 411, 422 and 962 DVR) will pick up any subscribed signal from E*'s satellites plus any local channels available via over the air (OTA) digital. You won't need a converter box to receive your local digital stations.

The new receivers have outputs for current TVs as well as to HD/HD ready TVs.

The FCC is counting on cable and satellite to include "ATSC" (digital OTA) tuners to help reach the goal of having 85% of the country have the ability to receive ATSC before the plug is pulled on old NTSC broadcasts in a couple of years.

JL

#4 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:25 PM

"The FCC is counting on cable and satellite to include "ATSC" (digital OTA) tuners to help reach the goal of having 85% of the country have the ability to receive ATSC before the plug is pulled on old NTSC broadcasts in a couple of years."

That ruling, about 85% penetration, is in the process of change. The hard date (no more analog channels) appears to be either January or April 1, 2009. Large Tvs manufactured after July 1, 2005, 25" and larger after March 1, 2006 must have digital tuner or no tuner. I believe that after the end of 2007 all TVs 13" and larger must meet the same specs.

#5 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:27 PM

It is also proposed, that after January 1, 2008 daily info spots are required by all stations, informing the public of the change

#6 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:42 PM

The FCC is counting on cable and satellite to include "ATSC" (digital OTA) tuners to help reach the goal of having 85% of the country have the ability to receive ATSC before the plug is pulled on old NTSC broadcasts in a couple of years.

JL

I guess I missed that press release. I thought it was only for TV sets. But I would much prefer it to be true. I don't want a separate tuner to get my OTA channels.

#7 OFFLINE   Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 05:55 PM

Why would future Dish receivers need the capability to record OTA-HD if Dish is supplying you your HD locals. I realize I am looking about 2 years from now. Personally, once they give me my locals in HD, the flyswatter on top of my house is trash.

#8 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:07 PM

Because,

1) Dish does now and will in the future charge extra for locals. Back in the analog days, ghosting, snow, etc. made reception in my area problematic. Cable or LIL was a requirement for a clear picture. Digital reception here is excellent. My HD is rock solid. I don't need E* or cable for a clear digital OTA picture.

2) Dish compresses the he** out of locals now, and will in the future. Do you really think that will change when every station in the USA is broadcasting in HD simultaneously? MPEG-4? Don't make me laugh. MPEG-4 will fit what, 6 HD channels on a transponder? There are 12 SD channels on a transponder now. By my math, E* will have to reduce the MPEG-4 data by about 50% to make everything fit.

OTA is better, and IMHO will always be better than what D* and E* will provide.

#9 OFFLINE   Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:13 PM

It was just a question Mikey, just a question. I guess we will have to wait and see, wont we.

#10 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:14 PM

It is also proposed, that after January 1, 2008 daily info spots are required by all stations, informing the public of the change

Shoot they need to start this on Junuary 1 2006. Millions of people do not know about this!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#11 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:01 AM

But, the broadcasters will have to preempt billions of dollars in commercials to run these "PSAs". So, either they have to stop spending money on programming and salaries, or they have to cut a couple of minutes out of the shows each day.

And, of course, with TIVO....who's gonna see the stupid announcements anyway :)?

#12 OFFLINE   rthomp03

rthomp03

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:51 AM

I don't think anyone has addressed yet the millions and millions of VCRs and DVDRs out there which will be useless after the analog shutdown. :eek2:

#13 OFFLINE   KingLoop

KingLoop

Custom User Title

• Gold Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:20 AM

I don't think anyone has addressed yet the millions and millions of VCRs and DVDRs out there which will be useless after the analog shutdown. :eek2:

DVDRs won't be useless, they have an A/V input so they will make the transition fine, and VCRs are close to obsolete anyway. Think about all of the people with Beta players; technology changes. No one ever guarantees that any given technology won't become obsolete.
KL

#14 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,796 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:05 AM

Actually - ALL devices (down to handheld TVs and video recording devices) will be required to have the ATSC tuner. This is a change from before, when it was only all TVs 13" and larger.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#15 OFFLINE   rthomp03

rthomp03

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:14 AM

DVDRs won't be useless, they have an A/V input so they will make the transition fine, and VCRs are close to obsolete anyway. Think about all of the people with Beta players; technology changes. No one ever guarantees that any given technology won't become obsolete.

I was referring to the tuners in these devices.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...