Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OTA on 811 if account is Paused

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wdowns

wdowns

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:41 PM

I was wondering if I connect my 811 to an OTA antenna, will it work as an HD Tuner for my digital OTA locals? My account is currently on "Pause" and my dish is still installed. I am going to reactivate once the mpeg-4 issue gets solved. I have plenty of time to wait.

TIA WRD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:51 PM

Yes it will still work provided you leave your dishes alive. Now your OTA guide info may no longer be available at that point.

Also, you are aware the 811 will not work on Mpeg4, so if you kill the receiver until mpeg4 phases in you have waited past its useful life?

Jason

#3 OFFLINE   Ghostwriter

Ghostwriter

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:16 AM

Yeah I don't understand that either. If you have it on "pause" even when they switch to MPEG4 you won't be getting any type of New Sub deal since you are technically an active member. IMO the MPEG2s will still work for years to come although I am sure they will start offering certain channels in MPEG4 format only to entice us to upgrade/purchase the MPEG4 receivers. Until they launch a MPEG4 HD DVR I will be using my 811.

#4 OFFLINE   wdowns

wdowns

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:57 AM

My account is on Pause to protect my 1.99 warranty while damage from three hurricanes is fixed. Once repairs are complete I will either turn the system back on or go back to cable. Our local cable company wants 20.00 per mnth just for locals. If I can get the same using my 811 and an antenna then I will be saving $13 a month.

#5 OFFLINE   Ghostwriter

Ghostwriter

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:09 PM

I understand that part, I just don't understand why you brought up MPEG4 is all.

#6 OFFLINE   wdowns

wdowns

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:46 PM

Local retailer told me that my 811 will be phased out when the new receivers (mpeg-4) come online. I've been out to touch with the changes and what is projected in the future. I guess the info that I was provided with was incorrect.

#7 OFFLINE   Ghostwriter

Ghostwriter

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:07 PM

Well IMO if they were to phase them out that quickly it would have to be a free or very very low cost upgrade. Like I said the current receivers (which are MPEG2) will work for at least a couple of years to come.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...