Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

List of XBox 360s at your local Best Buy!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:44 PM

For those without preorders in....

http://www.joystiq.c...34000637067771/

Better than the 10 they originally threatened at my local store (#475), but still only a few dozen per store...

I can't believe they think that 30% of buyers will want the core system.... I see those being the only units available once the "Hot Toys of 2005" stories start.....
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:28 PM

So, who got one of these, and how's it working? Are you impressed with your new toy, or are you one of those who can't make it through the first level without it locking up?

#3 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:46 PM

According to the tech podcasts I've listened to there has been some issues with extremely noisy fans and overheating. Dvorak says his is great though and has not shown either of these problems. With my Christmas bonus hanging in front of me, I’m extremely tempted but I can’t justify a console for two games (GTA and Halo), and I don’t even have enough time to watch the shows on my TiVo let alone spending hours on a video game.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#4 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:09 AM

They think they have isolated the cause of the freezeups. People who put the admitted Ji-normous power bricks on the carpet or in a poorly ventilated area have seen them overheat and cause power fluctuations which cause the freezes. Balance it on its side so the cord supports the weight and the problems disappear.

This thing consumes a ton of power to produce those amazing graphics, so they had to go with that massive supply. Unfortunately, more power equals more heat. Also make sure you have air flow above the unit (don't block the vents of the 360) to make sure you aren't one of the folks with a problem....

I like the new games (Call of Duty 2 is great, Madden 2006 was a disappointment as it is a stripped down version of the original with better graphics, but no Madden/Michaels voiceovers, no Madden Cards, and fewer game modes - EA has a monopoly and their lack of effort to fight off the competition is starting to show), but the revelation is the old games. I've rediscovered Halo and Halo 2. The only down side for the original Halo is that it will not stretch to fit 16:9 TVs (Hello vertical black bars on each side of the screen). Otherwise, both games look amazing. The controller works great. No save games and I can't transfer content or soundtracks from my old XBox, but I'll fix that by copying a bunch of songs over the next few weeks (PGR3 music sucks, make your own.......)
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:33 AM

I have had one lockup and my machine is very well vented with an additional fan. The games selection is light...Call of Duty is fun by repetitiive PGR3 is the best. I can play Perfect Dark without getting motion sickness and I have not tried Kameo yet.

Steaming music and pictures is the best...I just can wait for some good titles to be released...especially sports but it looks like I will have to wait a year for that.

*SIGH*

#6 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:56 AM

Not getting one here. I grabbed the XBox when it first came out. Its been sitting in the closet now for close to 2 yrs, with 4 controllers and about 8 games. I think I will wrap it and give it to my 10 yr old granddaugher for Christmas.

#7 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:59 AM

Ah, a Barbie Horse Adventure game in her future, eh?

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:10 PM

Believe it or not,, she can kick some major butt in Halo on my pc. Her dad tells me she is pretty good with Bloodwake , some boat game. He has an XBox at his house that she plays with when she is there.

#9 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:06 PM

My son and I saw a 360 in a store over the weekend, playing CoD2. He was not impressed with the graphics, thought the graphics on my pc were better. I didn't see a lot of difference. I already have quite a bit of money in two computers set up for gaming, and if I was going to spend another $400 it would be to upgrade them some more.

#10 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:20 AM

OK, I'm not into gaming, just don't have the time to spend playing games EXCEPT, when I get an unexpected short delay in my life's progress, and then the only time that would be is when I'm out and about and get held up, like waiting in line at Disney, or waiting on some client to make a decision on what to do next, or get stuck in church and the sermon is gawd awful boreing, hey! just kidding about that last hold up as I never go to church! :)

Anyway, That means that the only games I have are solitaire, pacman and virtual pool on my ipaq. An XBOX would just sit and never get used here.

But on the plus side, I believe that 360 has 3- 3 Ghz processors. Wouldn't you agree that some dedicated system built to just play games with that much horsepower could do far more than any desktop computer for those who are looking for that ultimate game machine? For someone into gaming as much as I'm into video editing with computers the 360 may be the best of the best and I understand all the hype. Just not for me.

#11 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:00 AM

I'm just the opposite. I work long hours at work, but when I get home I need something to blow off steam. I catch up on my PVR programs while doing paperwork at home, but when I'm stressed NOTHING makes me feel better than repelling an alien invasion in Halo, causing automotive mayhem in Burnout Revenge, or stopping the fascists in Call of Duty 2. Well, one thing..... But the wife isn't always in the mood, so this is the next best thing.

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:43 AM

My son and I play a lot of games over our lan. I would rather have my own monitor than a split screen.

#13 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:07 PM

That is a problem. It's hard to sneak up on someone when they can see what you do......

My son and I prefer games with Co-op play though. Something more satisfying for the two of us fighting for a common cause when we team up together instead of battling each other.

Doing it to strangers over XBox live is a different story though.... Then it's a fragfest...

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   918hatch

918hatch

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:23 PM

I won my xbox 360 from MD. lol

#15 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 05:04 PM

It's confirmed. There will be 20-60 units being sold at BestBuy this coming Sunday, depending on the sales volume ranking of the store near you. If you HAVE to have one by XMas, now is your chance.

http://www.xbox360fr...estbuy-on-12/18

Meanwhile the EBGames folks just got 2, count'em 2 per store for their second shipment.

IBM chip shortages are to blame supposedly, but they screwed up with this global rollout. Only a million sold by Christmas worldwide, maybe a bit more.....

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:28 PM

Bob- I just read your solution to overheating-

"Balance it on its side so the cord supports the weight and the problems disappear.
"

This would be a great way to use a laptop that overheats in bed due to the pillows and blankets blocking the vents.. If you opened it up to form a 90 degree angle and then balanced it on it's side, it would ventilate properly and the bonus is it will look upright with you lieing on your side. :D

#17 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:21 AM

Not the console itself, just the power brick (which actually LOOKS like a brick). The heat seems to dissipate better this way and I haven't had a single freezeup using this method.

Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:29 AM

Also, I was at Best Buy last night in Brick, NJ (ah, the irony), buying some XMas presents, when some guy came on the loudspeaker and announced that a batch of XBox 360s had just come in, and anyone interested should begin lining up at the Customer Service desk. About a dozen people perked up and headed in that direction. About 2 minutes later, a female voice came on and announced that the previous announcement was an error, and that none were available. It was either some prankster who picked up a phone and decided to tweak some people, a salesman who saw a pallet get offloaded (but didn't know about the corporate memo to hold them until Sunday) and jumped the gun, or the employees scooped them up. I don't think it was the third, because a department manager told me that all employees and their families were not allowed to get them until March 1st due to supply shortages.

I started to make my way there to grab one just for the sake of being a hero to someone (I wouldn't sell it at a $400 profit, but I would sell it at cost to one of my clients to score some brownie points), but just shrugged when the correction announcement came on. A few teenagers did NOT look amused by the false alarm....

Posted Image

Protected By... spam firewall...And...