Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

mpeg4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kali05

Kali05

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:11 AM

does anyone know what day they expect to announce change to mp4? anytime soon wanna buya 322 reciever should i buy now or wait?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:30 AM

I dont think anyone knows. There was a tech chat tonight that had some info and it looks like they have some additional plans that might impact MPEG4 rollout.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=48091
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,082 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:51 AM

Unless you want HD, the 322 will be fine for at least the next year.

JL

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,966 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:29 AM

JL gave you pessimistic estimation, I would be optimistic and would say you have 2 or 3 years before SD swap will completed; actually I think it will take more then 3 years.

#5 OFFLINE   trido

trido

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:07 PM

Unless you want HD, the 322 will be fine for at least the next year.

JL

Any guess as to how the swap out for 411 box MIGHT work.

Meaning they said last nite some 411 will be ready soon, Does that mean for NEW HD installs or will they swap with exisiting customers who have 811?

Or who knows at this point?

thanks

Trido

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,082 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:28 PM

811 people who need MPEG4 for some new channels will likely end up with a 211.
Early adopters may get a 411, which is identical in function.

Mark: Our first receiver is rolling out in the next week or two, it was - for some of those who follow the chat rooms and have seen it at some of our trade shows it was called the 411 and some 411's are going out the door here very quickly. But over time we are coming out with a new series and it is going to be called the 211.

The 211 and 411 are basically replacements for our existing 811 and have basically the same feature set - maybe a little bit upgraded on the connectors, but fundamentally ... a replacement for the 811.

Dan: We will be making some announcements on existing customer programs in the very near future. I'd tune in to the Charlie Chats for that. And also some announcements on additional HD programming.

JL

#7 OFFLINE   hammerdown

hammerdown

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:08 PM

Did they just forget to mention those with a 6000 or a 921? Those boxes won't get any new mpeg4 channels either, and will need to be replaced.

Hammer

#8 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:38 PM

According to there Tech Chat last night, the Mpeg 4 is a long way down the road for now. They appear to be backing off of Mpeg 4 for there Super Turbo system they have already. They claim Mpeg 4 won't be that cost effective right now. If you really are sold on Mpeg 4 go with Directv, they are already rolling there Mpeg 4 receivers out the door.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,082 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:27 PM

I would judge on content, not technology. E* is planning more content. I suspect that in the long run E* PQ in 8PSK Turbo will be better than D* PQ in MPEG4. E* has the bandwidth advantage.

JL

Protected By... spam firewall...And...