Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

S-Video and DBS

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 20 July 2002 - 11:43 PM

I finally put a crowbar in the wallet and bought a Toshiba 20" flat-screen tv for my small Family Room. I have never had a tv with S-Video and I can't believe what a huge difference in the clarity of the picture. I had my system hooked up through the RG-6 coax on my old Zenith. It finally died and I was "forced" to buy a new tv. I chose a smaller flat-screen rather than a larger curved screen for the same money and I think I made a wise decision. It looks incredible compared to what I had. Even my wife, who couldn't care less as long as there is a semi-clear picture commented on how clear it looks. The tv also has composite inputs for my dvd. I can't believe I didn't buy it sooner! Now I just need to save a few bucks and get a HDTV - but not until there is a HD PVR. :)
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 20 July 2002 - 11:57 PM

Yea, you don't know how bad you have it till you see the new stuff. Let me tell you, HDTV rocks! Having DirecTV, most of the time, I watch Arena Football, but the quality is just amazing....

#3 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 01:21 AM

"The tv also has composite inputs for my dvd"

Your DVD should have SVideo output, and it looks a LOT better than composite. The diff is even more obvious than with the satellite. I think it probably also has component inputs (most Toshiba's do) in which case those would be the absolute best for DVD.

#4 OFFLINE   HTguy

HTguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 12:31 PM

The S-Video connection does make a difference but I bet it's not as much as the overall better performance of your new 20" flat screen compared to your old set.

Must be a very small room if a 20" set is all you need, tho. Would going for a 27" have been too overwhelming for you?
:eek:
"A DISH IN EVERY HOME"

#5 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 02:51 PM

I've got the same little 20" Toshiba. I think karl meant it has component inputs for DVD, which mine does.

It's a great little unit, perfect for a small room or office.

#6 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 09:12 PM

Originally posted by HTguy
The S-Video connection does make a difference but I bet it's not as much as the overall better performance of your new 20" flat screen compared to your old set.

Must be a very small room if a 20" set is all you need, tho. Would going for a 27" have been too overwhelming for you?
:eek:

I wish I could have gone for the 27" flat screen, but I had to drop $1100 on my Honda for a new head gasket and misc. other repairs. I guess getting to work every day was more important than the new tv.:)
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#7 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Mark
"The tv also has composite inputs for my dvd"

Your DVD should have SVideo output, and it looks a LOT better than composite. The diff is even more obvious than with the satellite. I think it probably also has component inputs (most Toshiba's do) in which case those would be the absolute best for DVD.

My DVD does have S-video, but since I don't watch DVD's often and I watch satellite most of the time, I chose to use the S-Video input for the satellite. Trust me, anything looks better than what I had, so I am a happy camper. :)

#8 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 09:40 PM

I'm suprised you don't have component (red, green, blue) - which is even better than SVideo - for the DVD. Oh well, you should by an SVideo switcher. The diff between composite (yellow) and SVideo (old Apple ADB keyboard connector) is far more obvious with DVD.

#9 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 09:40 PM

Composite is a waste of time on non HDTV sets (flame away). S-Video is good enough.

#10 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 09:57 PM

I'm suprised you don't have component (red, green, blue) - which is even better than SVideo - for the DVD. Oh well, you should by an SVideo switcher. The diff between composite (yellow) and SVideo (old Apple ADB keyboard connector) is far more obvious with DVD.

I do have the red, green, and blue on both the tv and the dvd, I just don't have the cables to go with it. I have the dvd hooked up to the red, white, and yellow jacks and it looks fine for now. I really am impressed by the flat-screen. It almost completely gets rid of the glare and makes it easy to see from my large comfy chair which sits at an angle. Now if I can get my daughter away from the UTV, I would be able to watch my shows instead of hers, but that's another subject for another day.

#11 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 10:37 PM

"I do have the red, green, and blue on both the tv and the dvd, I just don't have the cables to go with it. I have the dvd hooked up to the red, white, and yellow jacks and it looks fine for now."

You don't need special cables. A standard stereo A/V cable (with yellow white and red) works fine. Their a couple dollars at wal-mart. You still need to have the red and white connected (audio) so you'll need another one.

#12 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,831 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 22 July 2002 - 07:03 AM

Originally posted by James_F
Composite is a waste of time on non HDTV sets (flame away). S-Video is good enough.

Uh, James - don't you mean COMPONENT (not composite) is a waste of time on non-HDTV sets ?

By my standards (worst to best)
RF
composite
S-video
Component
Progressive Scan Component

#13 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 07:39 AM

"I do have the red, green, and blue on both the tv and the dvd, I just don't have the cables to go with it. I have the dvd hooked up to the red, white, and yellow jacks and it looks fine for now."

You don't need special cables. A standard stereo A/V cable (with yellow white and red) works fine. Their a couple dollars at wal-mart. You still need to have the red and white connected (audio) so you'll need another one.

Karl - don't listen to Mark on this one. He's wrong. If you decide to go the component video route, definitely get a component video cable. You need the heavier gauge cable to pass the signal. Stereo gauge cable cannot pass the bandwidth necessary. You can get a decent (and cheap) set of component cables at Best Buy or Walmart or Target for about $20. The color saturation will look better through component as compared to the composite that you are hooked up with now.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#14 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 10:40 AM

MarkL, HE'S USING COMPOSITE. A short stero A/V cable for component will make a HUGE difference. The bandwidth in each channel is the same as composite video. That said, I agree you should use proper 75ohm video cable (special component cables are a waste - just as are digital coax audio cables), but a stereo A/V cable on the components would be a huge improvement over composite, and even somthing of an improvement over S-Video.

#15 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 12:09 PM

Mark - reread the message you just posted. You agree with me, and then contradict yourself.

Component video requires a 75 ohm cable for each of the 3 colors (red, green, blue) to pass the bandwidth. Stereo A/V cables (even the short ones) have 1 video cable that is 75 ohm and 2 stereo cables that are significantly less than 75 ohm. It may work on a 3 foot run, but you'd be a LOT better off with a true component cable.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#16 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 12:15 PM

Karl.... I have a unused component video cable if you need it... just PM me with where to send it.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#17 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 01:29 PM

"Component video requires a 75 ohm cable for each of the 3 colors (red, green, blue) to pass the bandwidth. Stereo A/V cables (even the short ones) have 1 video cable that is 75 ohm and 2 stereo cables that are significantly less than 75 ohm. It may work on a 3 foot run, but you'd be a LOT better off with a true component cable."

You would be - I NEVER denied that, I just said that a stereo A/V cable would be better than composite video. Oh, and BTW, most cheap stereo A/V patch cables use three identical cables, none of which are 75 ohm or meant for video.

#18 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 02:28 PM

Something I am seeing at the stores lately is there are a few models of cheap televisions that have Component inputs on them, but what makes them unique is they upgrade the signal to 480p instead of 480i which makes for a better picture!

Its not HD but it not bad. :D

#19 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 07:06 PM

So what are we arguing about here? :D

#20 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered