Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

S-Video and DBS

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 08:59 PM

Update. My wife said the 20" Toshiba was waaaay toooo small, so she authorized me enough money to purchase a larger one. I returned the 20" to BB (thank goodness for their 30-day return policy) and bought a 24" Toshiba flat-screen tv. It is sooo much better. I would have gone bigger, but the 27" wouldn't fit in the cabinet. If my grandpa hadn't built the cabinet for me before he died in 1986, I'd have gotten a bigger cabinet too, but I'm just a sentimental softie. What a huge difference those 4" make. I am just so impressed by the S-Video that I keep switching from Video 1 (S-Video) to channel 3 to see how much better it looks. Drives my wife crazy. :)
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 09:21 PM

Oh, even an inch is sooo much nicer. Because you're adding a LOT to the total area. I'm glad your TV is doing good:) Have you got a component connection for your DVD player setup yet?

#23 OFFLINE   DRJDAN

DRJDAN

Legend/Supporter

• Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 12:56 AM

I think some of the improvement from the 20 inch to the 24 inch is the fact that the 24 is flat screen. Flat screens make a difference.

#24 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 01:31 AM

His 20 was a flat screen also:) Read the first post:)

#25 OFFLINE   HTguy

HTguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Mark Lamutt
Component video requires a 75 ohm cable for each of the 3 colors (red, green, blue) to pass the bandwidth. Stereo A/V cables (even the short ones) have 1 video cable that is 75 ohm and 2 stereo cables that are significantly less than 75 ohm. It may work on a 3 foot run, but you'd be a LOT better off with a true component cable.

FWIW, any shielded cable for audio or video should be 75ohm. But there is no such thing as a 75 ohm RCA ("phono") plug or jack. The plugs and jacks are 50ohm. So there is always an impedence mismatch.

Years ago McCormick developed a connector for digital coax cables that "funneled" the impedence down from the cable to the RCA jack to prevent reflections. It would work great for analog audio & video, too, but at $200-300 per cable wouldn't be economically practical.
"A DISH IN EVERY HOME"

#26 OFFLINE   J. Allen Head

J. Allen Head

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 11:08 AM

Just Cut three identical length pieces of Quad shield RG-6 add connectors and F to RCA connectors or purchase crimp-able RCA connectors that fit RG-6 ( just can't use Quad Shield coax with these )

Easy And Cheap and it has better picture than most of the expensive cables if you assemble them correctly with no stray braids touching center conductor.
J. Allen Head
( a.k.a ) DuallyDude

Protected By... spam firewall...And...