Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

San Francisco MPEG-4 Stream?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
126 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:26 PM

Okay, I've been calling and calling and usually get a 'not in my area yet' or they never heard of mpeg-4 and I left at that. I just called D* the first guy didn't know what I was talking about. After being on hold for a period of time (got tired of eternal hold) hung up and called back. The second guy tells me it's been here since 11-22, while setting me up an appt. for 12-6 he said he had a computer crash??? anyways I'm suppose to call back later as he has flagged my account with exactly what I want so I wont have to explain it all again.

I was only persistant, after reading all these posts and getting different answers from everywhere. Who knows, I didn't actually get a confirmed appt. yet. Does anybody in the San Francisco area have the 5 LNB dish yet or is this guy yanking my chain?

TIA
Larry

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:26 PM

Okay, I've been calling and calling and usually get a 'not in my area yet' or they never heard of mpeg-4 and I left at that. I just called D* the first guy didn't know what I was talking about. After being on hold for a period of time (got tired of eternal hold) hung up and called back. The second guy tells me it's been here since 11-22, while setting me up an appt. for 12-6 he said he had a computer crash??? anyways I'm suppose to call back later as he has flagged my account with exactly what I want so I wont have to explain it all again.

I was only persistant, after reading all these posts and getting different answers from everywhere. Who knows, I didn't actually get a confirmed appt. yet. Does anybody in the San Francisco area have the 5 LNB dish yet or is this guy yanking my chain?

TIA
Larry

I have an appointment for this coming Saturday for the H20/5 LNB dish install replacing my existing Panasonic HD receiver and GainMaster dish. I called last Friday midday when I read on the Tivo forum in the morning that the San Francisco HD locals had just been lit up. The CSR I spoke to knew enough, after I explained that I wanted to upgrade, to transfer me to Installation. There is a direct 888 number but I don't have it with me. Maybe someone else know what it is. Anyhow, the rep I spoke to set up my installation appointment for Saturday (he had a Friday but I wanted to be home and have to work) and said the installer would bring the equipment. He said he was going to charge me $99+tax which he said was the upgrade fee but after a few minutes of whining about how long I've been with DirecTV and what a good customer I was, he said he would deduct $20 a month from my bill for the next six months to negate the charge. I am hearing now that DirecTV is also giving some the HD package free for three months for which I now pay $11.00 per month but I didn't get that. I'll probably call after my new equipment is installed and see if I can get on that bandwagon as well.

#3 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:56 PM

Cool. Thanks for the response, so I am not crazy. I will call them when I get home tonight and be more stern. If you get that number before 4, I would appreciate you posting it, thanks again.

#4 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:05 PM

I called my wife and she got the number from my bag-o-DirecTV info.

1-888-355-7530

Don't settle for less than free and then ask for more. They are apparently in the mood.

#5 OFFLINE   xnt

xnt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:49 PM

I called my wife and she got the number from my bag-o-DirecTV info.

1-888-355-7530

Don't settle for less than free and then ask for more. They are apparently in the mood.

Thanks for sharing Coastsider, also check this out:

http://www.tvpredict...grade112805.htm

#6 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:57 PM

I had a pretty good experiance with my recent schedule for the MPEG4 upgrade. I've been w/ D* for 10 years. NFLST for those 10 now w/ Superfan, MLB extra innings, and 5 activated receivers.

I have an appointment for the 3rd of Dec.
I'm supposed to be getting the H20, 6x8 switch and the 5-LNB at no cost and waived the 99.00 install and 14.95 shipping, 6 months Showtime for free, 10.00 my bill each month for TC and I get to keep my existing equipment which is an HR10-250, Terk 5x8 switch, and 3-LNB. WHich I installed this past Feb. It took me a couple of phones calls, but I'm happy with D* and the CSR's.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#7 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for sharing Coastsider, also check this out:

http://www.tvpredict...grade112805.htm

I guess they are playing the odds that the vast majority of HD subscribers in the cities with lit up or soon to be lit up HD locals will be unaware of any changes until they get the promised postcard advising them of their options, and that most will happily pay the $99.00 for the upgrade. As always, it pays, literally in this case, to be well informed.

#8 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:25 PM

Okay a DTV subcontractor just called and they are coming out this Saturday to do the install. Now I have to run out to BB and get the H20 :)

Took alot of phone calls and alot of frustration on my part trying to tell the CSR that IS available in my area. Dang most of them thought I was talking greek at the mention of MPEG-4.

Thanks for all those that posted about being persistent. It payed off for me.

Although as it is, I will be charged for this right now. When I get home I will try to get ahold of a supervisor and get the fees reversed.

#9 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:44 PM

Did you try the 888 number I posted above?

#10 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:51 PM

Did you try the 888 number I posted above?

Yes, I did. Forgot to mention a Thank You for that. So, THANK YOU. :)

#11 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:36 PM

I'm scheduled for Saturday as well. We can compare notes afterwards and may we both be fortunate enough to get installers that have already aimed a couple of these new dishes. I'll also probably post some photos.

#12 OFFLINE   dvdguyjt

dvdguyjt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:50 PM

I have my 5 LNB dish appointment set for Sunday Morning (the 4th). Already have my H20 upo and running with my 3LNB dish.

Hopefully, this installer will be better than the last one they sent out. I actually had to explain things to him!

JT

#13 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:08 AM

Okay a DTV subcontractor just called and they are coming out this Saturday to do the install. Now I have to run out to BB and get the H20 :)

Took alot of phone calls and alot of frustration on my part trying to tell the CSR that IS available in my area. Dang most of them thought I was talking greek at the mention of MPEG-4.

Thanks for all those that posted about being persistent. It payed off for me.

Although as it is, I will be charged for this right now. When I get home I will try to get ahold of a supervisor and get the fees reversed.

Okay all set, got my H20 last night. Called DTV and whinned about the charges. the first gal I talked to said she could only negotiate with me and reduce the 99.00 fee to 49.00, I politely stated that was not good enough and asked to speak to a supervisor.

Didn't get everything I wanted, but he did waive the 99.00 fee and I will only be paying 14.95. He also told me I did not need to buy an H20 that it was included. I told him my reasoning behind it was I did not want to give them my current box in exchange (I did not buy it from DTV, so why should I have to give it to them) He stated that the installers are instructed to pick up the old box, but I could try to negotiate with them.

So, I will let them do the install (including using their H20) and make a fuss when they try to take my current box, if I loose that battle I have an H20 in the closet. :D

#14 OFFLINE   Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:15 AM

Okay all set, got my H20 last night. Called DTV and whinned about the charges. the first gal I talked to said she could only negotiate with me and reduce the 99.00 fee to 49.00, I politely stated that was not good enough and asked to speak to a supervisor.

Didn't get everything I wanted, but he did waive the 99.00 fee and I will only be paying 14.95. He also told me I did not need to buy an H20 that it was included. I told him my reasoning behind it was I did not want to give them my current box in exchange (I did not buy it from DTV, so why should I have to give it to them) He stated that the installers are instructed to pick up the old box, but I could try to negotiate with them.

So, I will let them do the install (including using their H20) and make a fuss when they try to take my current box, if I loose that battle I have an H20 in the closet. :D

Dont even think of letting them take YOUR hardware...If you think for a sec that he might strong arm you just put it in the closet before they arrive.

#15 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:42 AM

Dont even think of letting them take YOUR hardware...If you think for a sec that he might strong arm you just put it in the closet before they arrive.

NO WAY IN **** will they get my current box. That's why I have a backup H20, if they insist I'll just say fine take your box back and replace with mine. Then I'll just have to wait for the 200 rebate.

#16 OFFLINE   digibob

digibob

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:59 PM

After 3 attemps, 1 power outage and 1 disconnect, I finally got thru to a DTV Customer Service Supervisor. I found out about the MPEG4 receiver and made arrangements too have the 5 LNB dish replace my current 3 month old 3 LNB dish. He said they can hook up the new dish to my HR10-250 TIVO and to the new H20. this way I can keep my tivo recording HD ABC and CBS while I can only watch NBC and FOX live.:(

I can't get OTA broadcast were I live so I had to go the waiver route. To my suprise only ABC and CBS approved the LA feeds. This has been a sore point with DTV and these stupid networks for 3 months now. I had no idea the waivers would be turned down. At lest I can now see all the networks in HDTV. I can't wait to see Earl:D

#17 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:12 AM

After 3 attemps, 1 power outage and 1 disconnect, I finally got thru to a DTV Customer Service Supervisor. I found out about the MPEG4 receiver and made arrangements too have the 5 LNB dish replace my current 3 month old 3 LNB dish. He said they can hook up the new dish to my HR10-250 TIVO and to the new H20. this way I can keep my tivo recording HD ABC and CBS while I can only watch NBC and FOX live.:(

I can't get OTA broadcast were I live so I had to go the waiver route. To my suprise only ABC and CBS approved the LA feeds. This has been a sore point with DTV and these stupid networks for 3 months now. I had no idea the waivers would be turned down. At lest I can now see all the networks in HDTV. I can't wait to see Earl:D

I'm in the same boat with OTA. What channel are you getting ABC on? I thought we only got CBS on 81?

#18 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:14 PM

So, can we get all 4 national channels in HD in the SF area with this 5LNB Dish and HR-20?

I talked to a CRS agent last night, she did not give up on taking my HDTivo box if they do the upgrade, I am going to try again, hopefully I will be able to convince them to let me keep my HDTivo box.

#19 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:21 PM

So, can we get all 4 national channels in HD in the SF area with this 5LNB Dish and HR-20?

I talked to a CRS agent last night, she did not give up on taking my HDTivo box if they do the upgrade, I am going to try again, hopefully I will be able to convince them to let me keep my HDTivo box.

If they wont budge just do like I am. Go buy an H20 at best buy for 200 and mail in the 200 rebate. If they dont use 'their' box there is NO WAY they can take yours. Keeps 200 dollars tide up for a bit, but your box will be safe. :)

#20 OFFLINE   xnt

xnt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:00 PM

I bought 3 HD receivers in the last 3 weeks and they will replace the 1st one +5LNB dish for $49. The rest can be replaced for $100 each. If I have bought them through Best Buy, I could have returned/replaced for free since they were less than 31 days.

Hence another lesson learn is never buy directly from Directv unless they give you discount. In my case there was none :(

spam firewall