Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

San Francisco MPEG-4 Stream?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
126 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:29 PM

I got an automated call this afternoon from Ironwood Communications which is sending the Installer for tomorrow's H20/AT9 upgrade verifying the appointment (between 8 and noon) and telling me to move everything away from the wall, etc., etc. I checked their website and it looks like they are a major player and since their logo says "When we leave, it works", maybe the odds are good that it actually will. This is the first time I've had an actual professional installer out for anything as I have always been up for doing it myself. After watching the "How to aim ..." video on SolidSignal's web site however, I thought I'd let the pros do it this time.

Maybe I can talk the installer into not taking my current Panasonic HD receiver although since it has taken lately to behaving badly and since we also have a Sony SAT T-60 for SD backup in case something goes horribly wrong with the H20, if he insists, I won't care that much.

I'll post some photo's of my AT9 chiminey mount on Sunday.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:05 PM

So, can we get all 4 national channels in HD in the SF area with this 5LNB Dish and HR-20?

I talked to a CRS agent last night, she did not give up on taking my HDTivo box if they do the upgrade, I am going to try again, hopefully I will be able to convince them to let me keep my HDTivo box.

How ta heck can they take your HDTivo when there's no replacement?

#23 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:49 PM

Excellent question, Wolffpack! I was wondering the same thing when I read that. I was hoping it was a mistake.

If not, at the very least I would have to wait until a viable HD DVR replacement was available before upgrading. Not a pleasant thought, but I can't justify giving up the HD Tivo for a non-DVR receiver. I'll live with OTA locals for now - not having any problem with them in my neck of the woods.

#24 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:08 PM

DUH, didn't even think of that. Apples and oranges. There is no way they could take a TIVO machine and replace it with the H20!

Pre-install jitters. I just got a bug and wanted to call Ironwood to make sure they let the installer realizes there is going to be some crawling involved when they upgrade my dish. They need (I want) to run additional cables for dvr/tivo boxes for now and future add ons, I want 2 lines for each site. My neighbors had a install with them years back and they ran all the cables on the exterior of thier house. Good thing I called, they told me somehow my appt. was moved to the 5th instead of the 3rd (tomorrow) end result = all is good or okay. I'm back on the schedule for the 3rd. This is getting me nervous.

#25 OFFLINE   xnt

xnt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:38 PM

My next door neighbor just had a new dish and a H20 receiver installed this morning. Ironwood did not even want his H10 receiver although he asked :).

#26 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:00 PM

How ta heck can they take your HDTivo when there's no replacement?

Yes, exactly, I told her that it is not a DVR that she is giving me, and she said that that is the process.

She was one of those you can not negotiate, I will give them a call later tonight, let's see what will be the outcome, otherwise I will follow LockMD's advice. There is NO WAY they take my HDTivo away.

By the way, she told me about the $99, that is something else that I have to fight on after saving my HDTivo. :D

#27 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:47 PM

She was one of those you can not negotiate, I will give them a call later tonight, let's see what will be the outcome, otherwise I will follow LockMD's advice. There is NO WAY they take my HDTivo away.

Amazing!!!! Stand your ground man! I'd tell you to defend your HDTivo with your 2nd amendment rights but you folks in SF don't have those any more. :(

Ok, cheap shot, not called for, but I couldn't resist. :grin: :grin: :grin: Hey, I'm from fricken Arizona. What can you expect?

#28 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:58 AM

Wolffpack,

It's not often that I'll be sitting here alone and laughing right out loud, but that 2nd ammendment comment got me! Nice shot!

#29 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:23 AM

A weak attempt at humor. BTW, No offense Alex.

Sad part is I'll bet 90% of those reading this have no idea what I was referencing.

Thanks for noticing JLP! Also, liked the "Nice Shot" comment!!! !pride

But regardless, Alex, don't given them your HDTivo man!!!!

#30 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:18 AM

Hey Wolf,

That is fine. I am proud to live in this area, nothing will touch me. ;)

I did talk to a lady, she did not resist on the DirecTivo, but then she made me angry about the $99, because I just turned to HDTV service, and at the time they gave me that I was told that the upgrade would be free. So I stopped negotiating.

I think I am going to stick with what i have and wait for the HD DVR MPEG4.

What bothers me, is that these last years, you have to fight for your right with D*, I start to be tired of their attitude. But, being an old Cable customer, I can tell that, this attitude is far from the cable arrogency. :)

#31 OFFLINE   xnt

xnt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:23 AM

I think you folks may not have to worry. Directv uses sub contractor like Ironwood Communications and they are overwhelm with the new rollout with new dish and receivers. They don't have room and warehouse to stock your old HD receivers. Based on my neighbor experience, it did not happen.

#32 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:42 AM

My installer just showed said he does not want my old box, NEVER installed this dish before. Yikes! (crossing fingers) bad part is he says its not on his work order to run extra lines for my DVR's and I'd have to make another work order for that. I'm on the phone with DTV right now.

#33 OFFLINE   rabit ears

rabit ears

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:32 AM

A weak attempt at humor. BTW, No offense Alex.

Sad part is I'll bet 90% of those reading this have no idea what I was referencing.

Thanks for noticing JLP! Also, liked the "Nice Shot" comment!!! !pride

But regardless, Alex, don't given them your HDTivo man!!!!

OK, clue me in - I'm one of the 90%.

Assuming that you are referring to the seizure of the HR10-250 box, the fourth amendment makes sense, but I don't see any applicability of the 2nd.

Sorry to be so dense.:confused:

#34 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:00 PM

OK, clue me in - I'm one of the 90%.

Assuming that you are referring to the seizure of the HR10-250 box, the fourth amendment makes sense, but I don't see any applicability of the 2nd.

Sorry to be so dense.:confused:

Not dense at all.

The fine citizens of SF recently passed legislation eliminating the 2nd amendment from the Bill of Rights. The right to keep and bear arms. How a city thinks it can change the US Constitution is amazing. Ah well, that’s what the courts are for.

Then of course you have Washington DC and their view towards the 2nd amendment. But that’s another story.

I was just making fun of Alexandrepsf’s fine city.

#35 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:44 PM

I checked their website and it looks like they are a major player and since their logo says "When we leave, it works", maybe the odds are good that it actually will.

:mad: Well he left, and it doesn't work! :mad:

They narrowed it down to a bad LNB or multiswitch, thought it was really rare to be a multiswitch problem? Anyhow I am getting local HD but not HD package 73, 76, etc... he (the installer) couldn't find the 110 bird at first. Appears it is pointed right now, I mean if it was wrong it would be an "all or nothing" situation, yes?

Well since I get something I believe it could be an LNB problem, I know less than half of most of you here on all the logistics of how this works.

He did run the extra lines for my DVR's and did NOT take my old HD box. They (Ironwood) are suppose to be sending someone else out with replacement parts before 5 its 3:45 here now......tick tock tick tock

#36 OFFLINE   Claus

Claus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:59 PM

Hi Mr. LockMD,
When you say the installer could not find the 110 bird, was he trying to peak the dish on 110 or only verifying reception after peaking 101 and 119? If he was peaking anything at 110 he would be voilating the instructions of the new dish. (I hope we are talking about the 5 lnb dish!)
Claus

#37 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:47 PM

I cant really speak for him, but I'm pretty sure he was trying to peak 103 transponder 20, 90 or better and we got 94. 110 wasn't even showing up and he said it wasnt needed. When I called to activate the box they said it was.

Hey by the way this box (H20) is very similar to the R15 in appearance and operation.

And yes we are speaking of the 5 LNB dish. I admit I dont know anything about this stuff, just trying to report my experience and observations.

#38 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:51 PM

LockMD,

So did the come with the replacement pieces?

Hope things are sorted out for you.

#39 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:06 PM

No they did not! :mad:

How did your intall go?

Actually I'm okay, I dont watch the channels I'm not getting that much anyhow. But, I want what I pay for. I'm happy, he ran the 3 extra lines and I am getting locals in HD (never could get them via OTA due to Mt. Diablo) Besides having the latest greatest ASAP it was my locals in HD that pushed me into rushing this. (Monday night football) so I have it now.

I will keep complaining until I get what I pay for though. Hope your install went a little easier, sheesh my installer was here for almost 6 hours. It was his first 5 LNB, considering that I think he did okay. To his defense, he basically told me they 'through him to the dogs' NEVER showed them anything training wise except the video that some have seen online.

I'm not upset with him personally. I think he did the best he could with what he had. I will keep ya'll informed on updates in my situation. I'm curious to hear about yours and others that had install dates for today too, especially CA people.

#40 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:31 PM

Bummer, I hope that you will have ALL the channels soon. So which channels do you have, and which one you do not have but you should have have?

Actually, I did not do it yet, and I will not until the HD DVR comes out (I think). The thing is that they wanted to charge me, and they did not give up, the CSR agent accepted to not to take away my HDTivo, then she said that it is already a good gesture and she did not give up on charging me $99.

Did they charge you for the installation?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...