Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

San Francisco MPEG-4 Stream?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
126 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   booboo53

booboo53

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:49 PM

Now you guys have me worried. I am scheduled to have my MPEG4 upgrade tomorrow morning. With the non-successes reported over the last few days in the Bay Area from Ironwood, I wonder if I will be enjoying local HD programming tomorrow night or will I be another non-success story from the Bay Area. :scratchin

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:02 PM

Coastsider! I ran into the same problem as you did. ie two no-shows for both Friday and Saturday and Ironwood did not even bother to call :mad: .

I'm seriously considering popping for one of those $125 AccuTrack meters from SolidSignal (the one in the installation video) and when (if?) the guy shows up next Sunday just tell him to hand everything over and I'll take it from there. I've always done everything anyhow starting with my first round dish and I just do not have a lot of faith in Ironwood. I currently have a chimney mounted GainMaster with five cable drops, properly grounded and all, and the AT9 will just slide right onto the existing mount. So all that needs to be done really is assemble the dish, connect four of the cables to it, mount it, change the cabling inside the house to bypass my Spaun multiswitch, plug everything currently in my Panasonic HD receiver into the H20 and call DirecTV to activate. Very easy, leaving only the actual aiming of the dish - not so easy it would seem - to complete my install. But I want to know how to aim and tweak the AT9 anyway so what the hell.

If the installer insists on installing - after all it is his job - at least I'll have the appropriate tools since he probably won't.

Maybe my first question should be, "so how many of these babies have you done?" and then just follow my instincts from there.

#53 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:03 PM

Maybe my first question should be, "so how many of these babies have you done?" and then just follow my instincts from there.

That was my first question too. He said none, but showed me his 'cool' meter he just bought for 500 bucks can detect 10 or so satellites. That didn't help. I'm suppose to have 5 sats, yes? I have 3 :mad: I saw somewhere someone posted the installer did it without a meter, if you are that confident maybe you can get all the parts you need from value electronics and not have to wait. Unless the FREE is more appealing.:)

#54 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:05 PM

Now you guys have me worried. I am scheduled to have my MPEG4 upgrade tomorrow morning. With the non-successes reported over the last few days in the Bay Area from Ironwood, I wonder if I will be enjoying local HD programming tomorrow night or will I be another non-success story from the Bay Area. :scratchin

Its too late now, but I would have recommended you to call Ironwood to confirm your appointment, even if you did get the automated phone call.

#55 OFFLINE   booboo53

booboo53

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:14 PM

Its too late now, but I would have recommended you to call Ironwood to confirm your appointment, even if you did get the automated phone call.

I did call Ironwood this afternoon and talked to a human who confirmed my appointment for tomorrow morning. Also, I just received my automated call about 10 minutes ago. Since Antioch is close to Concord, I could end up getting the same installer you had -- at least he will be experienced. :eek: Did anybody show up yet to get you set up with your missing HD channels?

#56 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:24 AM

That was my first question too. He said none, but showed me his 'cool' meter he just bought for 500 bucks can detect 10 or so satellites. That didn't help. I'm suppose to have 5 sats, yes? I have 3 :mad: I saw somewhere someone posted the installer did it without a meter, if you are that confident maybe you can get all the parts you need from value electronics and not have to wait. Unless the FREE is more appealing.:)

I think I'll just play this one out as I am happy with all of the concessions I got from DirecTV and don't want to start over. I did order that meter however, as it will be necessary in order to do any tweaking in the future, or maybe even right after the installer leaves if he does a less that proper job of it. Given the level of expertise these guys apparently have relative to the AT9, they might settle for "good enough" if they can just get the dish to see all five sats, which will leave it to those of us to whom "good enough" isn't good enough to make it better.

I work in IT and know how critical preplanning is for any kind of rollout. It is apparent that Ironwood does not subscribe to that philosophy, at least in regards to this current DirecTV project, which is too bad for us.

#57 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:45 AM

I did call Ironwood this afternoon and talked to a human who confirmed my appointment for tomorrow morning. Also, I just received my automated call about 10 minutes ago. Since Antioch is close to Concord, I could end up getting the same installer you had -- at least he will be experienced. :eek: Did anybody show up yet to get you set up with your missing HD channels?

Nope, no phone call or anything. I haven't heard from them at all. I tried to call them last night and could not get anybody on the phone (Ironwood). I called D* and they said I have an appointment for the 7th 1-5, we'll see what happens.

#58 OFFLINE   xnt

xnt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:04 AM

My appoinment has been re-scheduled from Friday to Saturday then today morning. I called the local Ironwood office last night to make sure they are keeping their appoinment. I just received a call few minutes ago that they will NOT make it due to hardware not available :(

#59 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:28 AM

My appoinment has been re-scheduled from Friday to Saturday then today morning. I called the local Ironwood office last night to make sure they are keeping their appoinment. I just received a call few minutes ago that they will NOT make it due to hardware not available :(

That's why my apoointment was cancelled out her in the D.C. area. Suppos3edly for us the magic day is the 8th.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#60 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:11 PM

That's why my apoointment was cancelled out her in the D.C. area. Suppos3edly for us the magic day is the 8th.

Yes except the San Francisco Bay area HD locals have been lit up since November 25th. So now Ironwood is cancelling appointments because they are short of hardware. Boy, I can see that this is going to develop into a real mess. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for my December 11th install.

Hey Ironwood - I don't care if it's raining or the wind is gusting to 50 MPH. Just bring me my hardware. Pretty please with sprinkles on top.

#61 OFFLINE   digibob

digibob

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:36 PM

After seeing all the problems you all are having. I think I will post pone my install set for Dec. 17th to Jan 06. I think these installers need more experience aiming these new dishes. It took me awhile just to get the 3 LNB aimed.:confused: But they are suppose to do this for a living.:) Does anyone know the company installing in the Marin area?

#62 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:29 PM

After seeing all the problems you all are having. I think I will post pone my install set for Dec. 17th to Jan 06. I think these installers need more experience aiming these new dishes. It took me awhile just to get the 3 LNB aimed.:confused: But they are suppose to do this for a living.:) Does anyone know the company installing in the Marin area?

But most of us are having trouble just getting an installer out - with hardware. Just think how many installs these guys could do between now and the 17th. If someone actually does show up for your install and has a receiver and dish, you are at least halfway there. Come on . . . it'll be fun watching him try to remember which direction your old dish was pointing before he took it down.

Kidding of course. I'm just trying to find the humor in all of this. If you are really that nervous about it, do whatever feels right.

If Ironwood's only Bay Area office is in Antioch and they dispatch installers to San Mateo County where I live, chances are they cover Marin as well. Their website does not list local offices but they are in business in at least 14 states.

Fingers crossed for my Dec. 11th install appointment. If the installer shows, I'll meet him at the door with my new Accutrac22 Pro tracking meter hanging around my neck.

#63 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:36 PM

If Ironwood's only Bay Area office is in Antioch and they dispatch installers to San Mateo County where I live, chances are they cover Marin as well. Their website does not list local offices but they are in business in at least 14 states.

Fingers crossed for my Dec. 11th install appointment. If the installer shows, I'll meet him at the door with my new Accutrac22 Pro tracking meter hanging around my neck.

Actually I think D* told me they are out of Hayward, here are the numbers I have if any are interested (510) 264-3300 or (510) 264-3305. The 3300 # D* gave to me and the 3305 # is the number they used to call my cell for scheduling. Just checked my msgs at home, they left the same 'ole auto message. I will TRY to confirm tonight. Could not get a hold of any one last night.

#64 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:02 PM

Actually I think D* told me they are out of Hayward, here are the numbers I have if any are interested (510) 264-3300 or (510) 264-3305. The 3300 # D* gave to me and the 3305 # is the number they used to call my cell for scheduling. Just checked my msgs at home, they left the same 'ole auto message. I will TRY to confirm tonight. Could not get a hold of any one last night.

Thanks. I'll call on Friday and verify that they do have the hardware and that the installer is still scheduled for Sunday. If no one shows at least I can call the local office and have a shot at getting someone since their Colorado office where the CSR's live will be closed.

It's like . . . . . . an adventure.

#65 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:21 PM

Yes except the San Francisco Bay area HD locals have been lit up since November 25th. So now Ironwood is cancelling appointments because they are short of hardware. Boy, I can see that this is going to develop into a real mess. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for my December 11th install.

Hey Ironwood - I don't care if it's raining or the wind is gusting to 50 MPH. Just bring me my hardware. Pretty please with sprinkles on top.

They probably have shotages everywhere. I had an appointment for the 3rd of Dec. All last week I had spoke to D* (Same dept. scheudling and installs) had an order # and it took the installer to call me an hour before my appointment time and tell me they are not coming because they don't have the 5-lnb and won't until the 8th. There's definetly confusion.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#66 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:58 PM

You guys are scaring me. I have an install scheduled for this coming Saturday for two H20s and the new dish (crossing over from E*).
My installer (I'm in the south bay) is some outfit called Mountain. I plan on calling them tomorrow to determine if this install is actually going to happen.

#67 OFFLINE   snelsonsf

snelsonsf

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:57 AM

Hey guys, I wanted to chime in on my experience with D* today and get some feedback. I spoke with a very pleasant CSR on the first call and got a very good deal on the upgrade.

However, I learned about something that hasn't really been mentioned in this thread (unless I've missed it). The CSR spoke to a technician as he was putting in my order and advised me that if I upgraded to the new 5-LNB dish, my new (and existing) H10-250 would not read the new MPEG-4 broadcasts and I would not be able to see the new SF HD locals. I could only see them by using the new H20.

Am I understanding this correctly? He basically told me that by putting up the new 5-LNB dish, my H10-250 would not work. Is this true? Or would I only be able to receive the existing L.A. HD feeds of CBS and ABC as we do now in SF with the H10-250?

Any insight would be appreciated. (and who knows what other posts I will have regarding missed installations like everyone else...)

Thanks, in advance.

#68 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:41 AM

Am I understanding this correctly? He basically told me that by putting up the new 5-LNB dish, my H10-250 would not work. Is this true? Or would I only be able to receive the existing L.A. HD feeds of CBS and ABC as we do now in SF with the H10-250?

Any insight would be appreciated. (and who knows what other posts I will have regarding missed installations like everyone else...)

Thanks, in advance.

You will be able to receive everything you got with the triple LNB dish but you will not be able to get the S.F. local HD channels which are transmitted by one of the new satellites and are encoded using MPEG-4 which your H10-250 does not decode. The H20 decodes both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4.

#69 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:11 AM

Update on my install:

I called Ironwood last night to confirm, all went well until she informed me it was a 'chargeable' service call. I said "excuse me, you know why they have to come out etc....The first installer never pointed the dish correctly" she informed me that I had to call D* to resolve it. I started to call D* but then realized that my screw up my appointment. So, hopefully they will show and get this fixed and I will settle with D* after the fact. It's all documented so I should have no problems getting any charges reversed.

I just can't believe all the hoops I'm having to go through. I'm getting ready to climb up there and do it myself.

#70 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:11 AM

I just can't believe all the hoops I'm having to go through. I'm getting ready to climb up there and do it myself.

What a hassle. I hope everything works out and I think you are taking the right tack by just going with the flow. Get it working and resolve any conflicts with DirecTV after the fact.

I am in the process of arming myself with as many tools as I can get my hands on to get this upgrade done. I've downloaded the video's from SolidSignal's web site which are pretty good. They were in fact created by DirecTV to instruct their contracted installers on the installation of the H20/AT9. I wonder if any installers have actually seen them. My Accutrac22 Pro meter should arrive today and I also have the printed installation manual for the AT9 so I'll be ready to assist in any way I can on Sunday when my Ironwood installer hopefully arrives with hardware in hand.

And thanks again for the dish settings.

#71 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:16 AM

My Accutrac22 Pro meter should arrive today and I also have the printed installation manual for the AT9 so I'll be ready to assist in any way I can on Sunday when my Ironwood installer hopefully arrives with hardware in hand.

And thanks again for the dish settings.

No problem, Hope all works out for you.

#72 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:30 AM

I've downloaded the video's from SolidSignal's web site which are pretty good.

I'm looking at thier site now, can't seem to locate the videos?

#73 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:33 AM

spoke to soon, found it.

#74 OFFLINE   booboo53

booboo53

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:28 PM

I guess I must be somewhat blessed.

My upgrade was scheduled for yesterday morning and the installer showed up around 10:30 with all the hardware. He stated that he would be replacing my current HD receiver and that I could use that receiver somewhere else in the house. I asked him if he had been keeping busy installing these upgrades and he told me I was his 3rd. So now I know that I get to keep my receiver and he is somewhat experienced. When he hooked up my new H20, there was no video. He went outside mumbling something and I started checking the video problem. I found that he had mis-wired the component video cables on the back of the receiver - green and red were backwards. Now I have video from the receiver. I now get a phone call with a work emergency (computer system crashes at the most inoportune times) so I have to leave and gave my wife some basic explanations of what to check for when he is done. Can't get too detailed with her since to her if the TV has a picture than why do we need to upgrade. I finally get home about 10 last night and check everything out. I have Fox, CBS, ABC and NBC locals in HD and still have all the HD channels in the 70 range.

So, now I happen to look around and I don't see my old HD receiver anywhere. Asked the wife to see if she may have put it somehere - she hadn't. I also notice that I don't have a user manual (who reads that anyway?). I am now assuming that the installer took all this with him. I called Ironwood this morning and they will contact the installer and have him bring them to me. I really don't need the receiver since I only have one HD TV and I can download the user manual from DTV, but it's the principle.

#75 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:54 PM

I guess I must be somewhat blessed.

My upgrade was scheduled for yesterday morning and the installer showed up around 10:30 with all the hardware. He stated that he would be replacing my current HD receiver and that I could use that receiver somewhere else in the house. I asked him if he had been keeping busy installing these upgrades and he told me I was his 3rd. So now I know that I get to keep my receiver and he is somewhat experienced. When he hooked up my new H20, there was no video. He went outside mumbling something and I started checking the video problem. I found that he had mis-wired the component video cables on the back of the receiver - green and red were backwards. Now I have video from the receiver. I now get a phone call with a work emergency (computer system crashes at the most inoportune times) so I have to leave and gave my wife some basic explanations of what to check for when he is done. Can't get too detailed with her since to her if the TV has a picture than why do we need to upgrade. I finally get home about 10 last night and check everything out. I have Fox, CBS, ABC and NBC locals in HD and still have all the HD channels in the 70 range.

So, now I happen to look around and I don't see my old HD receiver anywhere. Asked the wife to see if she may have put it somehere - she hadn't. I also notice that I don't have a user manual (who reads that anyway?). I am now assuming that the installer took all this with him. I called Ironwood this morning and they will contact the installer and have him bring them to me. I really don't need the receiver since I only have one HD TV and I can download the user manual from DTV, but it's the principle.

Glad to hear somebodies install went mostly well. Suppose to have mine fixed tonight so I get the 70's. Hope they show.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...