Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

San Francisco MPEG-4 Stream?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
126 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Claus

Claus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:47 PM

Mr. LockMD,
It would be good for you to look at the antenna manual and maybe the installer video if you have time so you can make sure the installer is doing a good job next time. The manual and video are available on line and it’s not like reading an automatic transmission manual and then looking over the mechanic shoulder, it’s really basic and simple in approach. If you say the installer was peaking a Ka signal then it sounds like he is not properly trained and maybe you can make sure you are getting the best for your system.
Claus

I cant really speak for him, but I'm pretty sure he was trying to peak 103 transponder 20, 90 or better and we got 94. 110 wasn't even showing up and he said it wasnt needed. When I called to activate the box they said it was.

Hey by the way this box (H20) is very similar to the R15 in appearance and operation.

And yes we are speaking of the 5 LNB dish. I admit I dont know anything about this stuff, just trying to report my experience and observations.

#42 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:15 PM

Bummer, I hope that you will have ALL the channels soon. So which channels do you have, and which one you do not have but you should have have?

Actually, I did not do it yet, and I will not until the HD DVR comes out (I think). The thing is that they wanted to charge me, and they did not give up, the CSR agent accepted to not to take away my HDTivo, then she said that it is already a good gesture and she did not give up on charging me $99.

Did they charge you for the installation?

The channel(s) I am not receiving are 73, 74, 76, 78, 79. I am getting 2, 5, 7, 11, and 81 (which is (5) CBS)

DVR, I just got into that and opted not to buy an h10-250 due to the fact it will not do MPEG-4. Infact, I recently just got into the DVR scene. I bought an R10 and the R15 came out a week later, so now I have both and as of today the H10 HD box and it is VERY similar to the R15 in appearance and operations.

DONT FIGHT THE BOX ISSUE WITH D*, the installers dont care! they wont take it. Infact tell D* they can have the box so D* will give you a better deal financially and hide your box for insurance. I dont know this whole thing seems hit and miss. At first, like you I got no deals. I complained and whinned and told them about the forums and I read others get a deal then she (1st level) says her maximum offer is 49.00 ask for a supervisor and got the 99.00 fee waived but still had to pay the shipping 14.95 fee. As far as the extra lines, I paid the installer under the table 50 bucks to run 3 lines. So now I have 2 lines in my bedroom for my R10 DVR and 3 lines in the living room 1 for the H20 and 2 for the R15 DVR.

Again about the box and charges keep calling back and as for a supervisor, tell them you read these forums and you see others reporting they are getting better deals. That is what I did. No, I havent got the best, but under normal circumstances I would have paid 14.95+tax only.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide. BTW how do you like the H10-250, is it more like the R10? Just not sure I want to invest that much money to be able to record HD until they have more HD channels. The 5 LNB dish is a step in the right direction.

#43 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:21 PM

Mr. LockMD,
It would be good for you to look at the antenna manual and maybe the installer video if you have time so you can make sure the installer is doing a good job next time. The manual and video are available on line and it’s not like reading an automatic transmission manual and then looking over the mechanic shoulder, it’s really basic and simple in approach. If you say the installer was peaking a Ka signal then it sounds like he is not properly trained and maybe you can make sure you are getting the best for your system.
Claus

Yes, I should. Even your mention of peaking the Ka signal is greek to me. And you are right as he admitted he has had NO training on installing it (I was his first) he was calling others on his nextel and complained that no one was helping him. If this doesnt get resolved SOON and I have the time I will do exactly what you propose and maybe train myself a bit.

#44 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:34 AM

My installer just showed said he does not want my old box, NEVER installed this dish before. Yikes! (crossing fingers) bad part is he says its not on his work order to run extra lines for my DVR's and I'd have to make another work order for that. I'm on the phone with DTV right now.

At least your guy showed up. Mine didn't. After waiting until 12:30 (installer was supposed to arrive between 8 and 12 but I gave him the benefit of the doubt) I called the Ironwood 1-800 number and at first was told that I was not scheduled for the 3rd (yes I was) but for the 11th instead. They transferred me to the local office which did not answer. On the second call I was told that my installer had called in sick and that they had rescheduled me for the Sunday the 11th between 8-12. I guess they thought I was telepathic as no one had called to advise me of these facts. They said that they had someone from the local office on the line and that I would get a call from them right away. After another half hour I figured the call was also a no show and so called DirecTV Installation to complain. They verified that I had been rescheduled for the 11th and I got a $25 no-show credit ($5.00 an hour for my time - whoopee) and three free months of the HD package, which I had to ask for.

Maybe by next Sunday whoever is coming out to install my AT9 will have done a few and will actually have a clue how to aim the thing so it could be all for the better. In the meantime, I think I'll watch the video from SolidSignal a few more times and read the install manual I downloaded so at least somebody will know what they are doing.

I sent an email to Ironwood this morning and suggested that they change their slogan to "If we show up, when we leave, it works".

What a way to run a railroad.

EDIT: Hey, who changed New Member to Cool Member under my user name? It sure as hell wasn't me. I'm too old to be cool and so whoever changed it, change it back as I can't find anywhere in my Profile Edit page to do so myself. The nerve of some people.

#45 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:17 PM

I'm sorry to hear that but that happened to me too. I got the automated call around 1:30 Friday. Called them at 4:30 to confirm and tell them I wanted somebody willing to crawl. Good thing I did, they said I was scheduled for the 5th.

As you know that was fixed. I'm okay for now, the only thing is I wont get channel 73 for the HD sunday night game. Hey you think if I hooked up my old box I would get those channels I'm missing?

BTW nobody changed it to cool member, its in their software after 10 posts it changes to that. Not sure what the other number of posts are but it changes automatically due to your number of posts, from what I'v noticed anyhow.

Keep us informed of your upgrade.

Larry

#46 OFFLINE   dvdguyjt

dvdguyjt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 05:06 PM

I had an appointment set for toady between 8-12. Installer did not show, so Icalled Directv at 12:30. I was told to wait until after 1 and call back.

I called back at 1:15. I was placed on hold by D* and told they would check with Ironwood (our local installers). They put me on hold for 10 minutes and the next thing I knew a voice answered and said "Thank you for calling Ironwood" D* must have transferred me to them. After getting NO help from them, I was told that they did not have a direct line for the installer and that the local office was closed.

I asked for the local number, called it and got a voicemail box that was "full"

Called D* again and went directly to customer retention. They contacted Ironwood again with no more luck than I had. I was told I would have to reschedule, and the next weekend appoinment the yhad was on the 17th.

I requested compensation for my time, but all I could get out of them was a $20 credit. I tried for free months of the HD pack, but was told there was no offer available for that.

ANyway, long story short, I waited 6 hours and got nothing but a reschedule and a lousy $20 credit.

Maybe this MPEG-4 crap isn't so necessary right now.............

#47 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 07:21 PM

So I guess I should just be happy my installer even showed. These guys (Ironwood) suck!

If I waited like you two and not confirmed Friday before closing, my intaller would not have shown either.

Cant believe this BS! Do you guys have the R15 too by chance? I do and my patience is wearing thin with it. The H20 is very similar to the R15 but does seem to be a bit more stable. I hear the H10-250 comes with an HDMI cable, the H20 did not, I just paid 100 bucks for the cable at best buy......off to more testing. Both of you please keep me (us) posted, as I will do the same. Its Sunday so I should not be alarmed I heard nothing from D* or Ironwood today???

#48 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:54 AM

So for Saturday, December 3rd in the S.F. Bay area two no-shows and one "when he left, it didn't work" that we know about. Of course maybe both no-shows were the same guy, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one, but sending an installer out who has never installed a dish that, according to all signs, is much more difficult that anything previous without any up front training is as unprofessional as you can get, especially with the volume of installs that are certainly in the works. At least show them the video from SolidSignal a couple of times. No OJT on my dish install please.

Maybe by the 11th, and certainly by the 17th these guys will have a few AT9 tweaking sessions under their belts and will be ready to go. Maybe.

And finally, Cool Member? Please. I wasn't even cool in the 60's when it was cool to be cool.

#49 OFFLINE   xnt

xnt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:38 PM

Coastsider! I ran into the same problem as you did. ie two no-shows for both Friday and Saturday and Ironwood did not even bother to call :mad: .

And finally, Cool Member? Please. I wasn't even cool in the 60's when it was cool to be cool.

I believe this is in a vBulletin configurable option. Once you reachs a certain number of posts, your title will automatically change :hurah: .

#50 OFFLINE   rollingstone

rollingstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:01 PM

Hi All,

I bounced over here from the TIVO forums. I live in the Santa Cruz mountains and just succeeded in getting Directv to install the 5 lnb dish and h20 for 14.95. The installer is to show on Dec 16...we'll see.

I sure went through a run around to get this deal. They wanted just to install the antenna, no box. He said use the HD Tivo box! After a 1/2 hour we got to the point where they would install the dish, and THEN if I needed the H20 they would schedule another delivery visit! Well after another 1/2 hour of discussion, I think I'm getting both on the 16th!

Since I keeping my HDtivo too, I seem to be running out of "connections" I currently run everything through my amp which does component switching, but no more inputs. So I guess I'll go straight to the TV...bummer cause now the remote has to switch the AMP and the TV.

I figured one should go for this deal...basically getting the antenna installed for free. I really want a PVR for the locals in HD, and it sounds like we fight that battle in the spring.

PS, I have waivers for all but FOX. So I guess I'm really go to all this trouble for one station!

-Glen

#51 OFFLINE   booboo53

booboo53

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:49 PM

Now you guys have me worried. I am scheduled to have my MPEG4 upgrade tomorrow morning. With the non-successes reported over the last few days in the Bay Area from Ironwood, I wonder if I will be enjoying local HD programming tomorrow night or will I be another non-success story from the Bay Area. :scratchin

#52 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:02 PM

Coastsider! I ran into the same problem as you did. ie two no-shows for both Friday and Saturday and Ironwood did not even bother to call :mad: .

I'm seriously considering popping for one of those $125 AccuTrack meters from SolidSignal (the one in the installation video) and when (if?) the guy shows up next Sunday just tell him to hand everything over and I'll take it from there. I've always done everything anyhow starting with my first round dish and I just do not have a lot of faith in Ironwood. I currently have a chimney mounted GainMaster with five cable drops, properly grounded and all, and the AT9 will just slide right onto the existing mount. So all that needs to be done really is assemble the dish, connect four of the cables to it, mount it, change the cabling inside the house to bypass my Spaun multiswitch, plug everything currently in my Panasonic HD receiver into the H20 and call DirecTV to activate. Very easy, leaving only the actual aiming of the dish - not so easy it would seem - to complete my install. But I want to know how to aim and tweak the AT9 anyway so what the hell.

If the installer insists on installing - after all it is his job - at least I'll have the appropriate tools since he probably won't.

Maybe my first question should be, "so how many of these babies have you done?" and then just follow my instincts from there.

#53 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:03 PM

Maybe my first question should be, "so how many of these babies have you done?" and then just follow my instincts from there.

That was my first question too. He said none, but showed me his 'cool' meter he just bought for 500 bucks can detect 10 or so satellites. That didn't help. I'm suppose to have 5 sats, yes? I have 3 :mad: I saw somewhere someone posted the installer did it without a meter, if you are that confident maybe you can get all the parts you need from value electronics and not have to wait. Unless the FREE is more appealing.:)

#54 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:05 PM

Now you guys have me worried. I am scheduled to have my MPEG4 upgrade tomorrow morning. With the non-successes reported over the last few days in the Bay Area from Ironwood, I wonder if I will be enjoying local HD programming tomorrow night or will I be another non-success story from the Bay Area. :scratchin

Its too late now, but I would have recommended you to call Ironwood to confirm your appointment, even if you did get the automated phone call.

#55 OFFLINE   booboo53

booboo53

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:14 PM

Its too late now, but I would have recommended you to call Ironwood to confirm your appointment, even if you did get the automated phone call.

I did call Ironwood this afternoon and talked to a human who confirmed my appointment for tomorrow morning. Also, I just received my automated call about 10 minutes ago. Since Antioch is close to Concord, I could end up getting the same installer you had -- at least he will be experienced. :eek: Did anybody show up yet to get you set up with your missing HD channels?

#56 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:24 AM

That was my first question too. He said none, but showed me his 'cool' meter he just bought for 500 bucks can detect 10 or so satellites. That didn't help. I'm suppose to have 5 sats, yes? I have 3 :mad: I saw somewhere someone posted the installer did it without a meter, if you are that confident maybe you can get all the parts you need from value electronics and not have to wait. Unless the FREE is more appealing.:)

I think I'll just play this one out as I am happy with all of the concessions I got from DirecTV and don't want to start over. I did order that meter however, as it will be necessary in order to do any tweaking in the future, or maybe even right after the installer leaves if he does a less that proper job of it. Given the level of expertise these guys apparently have relative to the AT9, they might settle for "good enough" if they can just get the dish to see all five sats, which will leave it to those of us to whom "good enough" isn't good enough to make it better.

I work in IT and know how critical preplanning is for any kind of rollout. It is apparent that Ironwood does not subscribe to that philosophy, at least in regards to this current DirecTV project, which is too bad for us.

#57 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:45 AM

I did call Ironwood this afternoon and talked to a human who confirmed my appointment for tomorrow morning. Also, I just received my automated call about 10 minutes ago. Since Antioch is close to Concord, I could end up getting the same installer you had -- at least he will be experienced. :eek: Did anybody show up yet to get you set up with your missing HD channels?

Nope, no phone call or anything. I haven't heard from them at all. I tried to call them last night and could not get anybody on the phone (Ironwood). I called D* and they said I have an appointment for the 7th 1-5, we'll see what happens.

#58 OFFLINE   xnt

xnt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:04 AM

My appoinment has been re-scheduled from Friday to Saturday then today morning. I called the local Ironwood office last night to make sure they are keeping their appoinment. I just received a call few minutes ago that they will NOT make it due to hardware not available :(

#59 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:28 AM

My appoinment has been re-scheduled from Friday to Saturday then today morning. I called the local Ironwood office last night to make sure they are keeping their appoinment. I just received a call few minutes ago that they will NOT make it due to hardware not available :(

That's why my apoointment was cancelled out her in the D.C. area. Suppos3edly for us the magic day is the 8th.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#60 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:11 PM

That's why my apoointment was cancelled out her in the D.C. area. Suppos3edly for us the magic day is the 8th.

Yes except the San Francisco Bay area HD locals have been lit up since November 25th. So now Ironwood is cancelling appointments because they are short of hardware. Boy, I can see that this is going to develop into a real mess. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for my December 11th install.

Hey Ironwood - I don't care if it's raining or the wind is gusting to 50 MPH. Just bring me my hardware. Pretty please with sprinkles on top.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...