Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

San Francisco MPEG-4 Stream?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
126 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:23 AM

Ironwood finally showed up on my fourth appoinment . However they claimed it was too difficult to combine my international dish with the 5LNB dish and they had 8 customers waiting so they could not do it today :mad: . I could not take it anymore so I agreed to cancel the work order...

And on a scale of 1 to 10, Ironwood rates a . . . . .

Let me see what happens on Saturday when I have my third appointment in as many weeks for the H20/At9 install, then I'll let you know.

Other than mounting and aiming the dish, my installation is going to be a piece of cake for Ironwood. I currently have a GainMaster dish, so the AT9 will fit on the existing mast, all of the cables needed are already in place, and I can make the few changes required inside (I currently have the C/B combiner and a Spaun multiswitch in the house) whlie he (they?) are working outside. We're talking easy here. Showing up is required however.

#102 OFFLINE   digibob

digibob

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:31 AM

I have rescheduled my install for Jan 14th. I did find out the subcontractor was a company called Mountain in the north bay. Has anyone had experience with this company yet?

#103 OFFLINE   dvdguyjt

dvdguyjt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

Ironwood showed up this morning at 8:15 for my appointment.

The tech said he had installed 25-30 of these AT-9 dishes already, and it would be a piece of cake.

45 minutes later, I had a 5lnb dish up and running with excellent signal strength.

Finally (after two missed appointments) Ironwood came through.

First impressions of the MPEG-4 is that it looks a bit soft compared to the MPEG-2 Los Angeles Feeds.

I'll have to really set in tonight and check out some HD in detail to see if I can tell the difference.

JT

#104 OFFLINE   rollingstone

rollingstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:45 AM

Oh hi,

Well Dec 16th came and went...but not my installer. They did phone and said they were running late. I took down my 3 LNB dish because I want to keep it for the RV....can't get locals on the road anyway. Ironwood say they may come out today...saturday.

Anyong had trouble keeping their old dish?

-Glen

#105 OFFLINE   dvdguyjt

dvdguyjt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:31 AM

-Glen

I kept mine. Installer took it down, and I asked if I could keep it. His quote was "What would we do with it?"

So, now I have 2 old single LNB dishes, 1 triple LNB dish, Two dish network dishes, and a Primestar dish.

I think the wife is going to have my head for keeping all of these........

JT

#106 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:23 PM

Well, my second installation attempt came and went today. I was scheduled for between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. I called Ironwood about 4 p.m. The dispatcher told me he was running late but would be there. I wondered to myself how this guy would work in the dark. Sure enough, an hour later the installer called to cancel. Rescheduled for the second time, now Jan. 7. I'm trying to become a new DirecTV customer because of the hi-def locals now being offered. But their installers are making it very difficult for me to keep my patience.

#107 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:37 AM

Yesterday morning was my third upgrade appointment having been stood up by Ironwood on the first two. In my case, delayed gratification was worth it. The installer showed up at 8:30 and got right to work. First he asked to see my inside setup. As he was getting ready to remove my Gainmaster after assembling the AT9, I told him that if he wanted to give me the receiver I would take care of the inside stuff which just involved removing my Spaun multiswitch and in-wall B/C combiner and then installing the H20. He agreed and by the time he was finished installing and peaking out the AT9 everything was ready to go inside and he did a great job mounting the dish using my existing chimney mounted Gainmaster post and adding two outriggers to provide lots of stability. The setup and activation went smoothly and he was finished in under an hour and a half. including watching a few minutes of the A/V receiver toss at Cedia (or was it CES) on HDNet.

The signal strength on all sats and active transponders is typically between 70 and 80 - good for the H20 which it seems reads lower than previous receivers. My Sony SAT-T60 has the same signal strengths as it had with my carefully self-tweaked GainMaster so I'm very satisfied with the job he did peaking the AT9, and transponder 20 on the 101, a spot for my area, still hits that magical 100 on both receivers.

Right now the rain is raining and the wind is blowing and a recheck of both receivers yields pretty much the same results.

The H20 is a big improvement over my Panasonic TU-HDS20 with the only negative being the double pop to get to the guide and maybe they'll fix that with a patch if enough people complain. Other than that, it's beauty.

Can I hear an amen.

#108 OFFLINE   dsanbo

dsanbo

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:37 AM

My wife says if any more dishes get put up on our house...SHE gets to pick the pattern.....:lol: (I said "OK"!)

#109 OFFLINE   snidely

snidely

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:54 PM

Have been using a Comcast 6414 HD DVR for several months as an interim "fix". Finally looks like D* will come out w. an HD DVR (MPEG4) in the first half of the year. (I'll be at CES in Jan. and see what they are saying.) Since what few locals they have now are MPEG4, I have to wait anyway. Comcast doesn't carry all the HD locals either but seems to have more than D*.
We still have our lst gen D* system - still fine after all these years. Installed myself! For HD was using BEV (Canadian DBS) since 1/02. Since they have more HD than D*, may consider upgrading to their HD DVR box once I determine I'll still be able to recv. all their HD signals. Right now we get 2 of their 3 sats - includes the one w. all the HD. They are going to make use of a 4th sat. and will need to see if we will get signal on that.
So, have questions:

1. Has DISH announced anything concerning HD locals and/or more HD channels?
2. Has D* announced if they will add more of our HD locals? Any more HD channels?

I am surprised that cable isn't trying to keep up w. DBS in HD offerings. It appears that D* offers more HD than Comcast. I assume DISH will catch up. Of course we were spoiled having BEV. ALL (ABC, FOX, NBC, CBS, PBS) networks in both E and W feeds. WB fm. WGN-HD. UPN fm. a Canadian station. Most of ESPN stuff via Canadian operator. HD movie channel. 4 HD PPV movie channels. Etc.

...mike

#110 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:52 AM

Yesterday morning was my third upgrade appointment having been stood up by Ironwood on the first two. In my case, delayed gratification was worth it. The installer showed up at 8:30 and got right to work. First he asked to see my inside setup. As he was getting ready to remove my Gainmaster after assembling the AT9, I told him that if he wanted to give me the receiver I would take care of the inside stuff which just involved removing my Spaun multiswitch and in-wall B/C combiner and then installing the H20. He agreed and by the time he was finished installing and peaking out the AT9 everything was ready to go inside and he did a great job mounting the dish using my existing chimney mounted Gainmaster post and adding two outriggers to provide lots of stability. The setup and activation went smoothly and he was finished in under an hour and a half. including watching a few minutes of the A/V receiver toss at Cedia (or was it CES) on HDNet.

The signal strength on all sats and active transponders is typically between 70 and 80 - good for the H20 which it seems reads lower than previous receivers. My Sony SAT-T60 has the same signal strengths as it had with my carefully self-tweaked GainMaster so I'm very satisfied with the job he did peaking the AT9, and transponder 20 on the 101, a spot for my area, still hits that magical 100 on both receivers.

Right now the rain is raining and the wind is blowing and a recheck of both receivers yields pretty much the same results.

The H20 is a big improvement over my Panasonic TU-HDS20 with the only negative being the double pop to get to the guide and maybe they'll fix that with a patch if enough people complain. Other than that, it's beauty.

Can I hear an amen.

Congrats on your install. I'm still only getting 64 as strongest on 119, will call D* tonight. (got too busy (and I do have all channels now)) I wonder if I will have no precedence at all, since they are trying to get all of these installs done first.

#111 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:54 AM

-Glen

I kept mine, not sure why, I hate to give back anything. :D

#112 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

Congrats on your install. I'm still only getting 64 as strongest on 119, will call D* tonight. (got too busy (and I do have all channels now)) I wonder if I will have no precedence at all, since they are trying to get all of these installs done first.

Keep calling. If the installer that comes out knows what he is doing like the one I got apparently did, he should be able to peak out the dish in under a half hour easily unless you have some clear shot issues.

My installer said that they are under a lot of pressure from DirecTV to get as many of these upgrades done in as little time as possible. I can't imagine the weather this weekend helped any as it seems unlikely that any new dishes got put up once the rain started in earnest.

And speaking of the rain, I experienced rain fade last night for the first time in a very long time, having been spoiled by the fade resistance of the GainMaster dish. Admittedly it was raining pretty hard but in the couple of years that I've had the big dish I had gotten to the point where I didn't even consciously think about loosing the sats when it was raining and so had a rude awakening when the screen went black and the ominous "searching for satellite" message appeared. I was on the local NBC HD channel and so was using the S.F. spot transponder on the 103 which was peaked at 86. It only lasted a minute or two but it is apparent that the AT9 is no GainMaster.

#113 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:50 AM

Okay I have a Friday appt. for 8-12. I'm thinking I will mess up the angle of the dish so the installer doesn't say "it's fine" and not fine tune it. But then again, if I get a no show, I wont have any TV. :)

#114 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:19 AM

I have my install rescheduled for this Friday, 8 a.m to noon as well. This is my third (and last) attempt at becoming a D* customer. Ironwood scheduled me as a priority.

#115 OFFLINE   xnt

xnt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:52 PM

I finally got all my H10 receivers (3) upgraded to H20 and a 5 LNB dish installed. I paid $100 for this upgrade but they gave me $80 credit for 4 missed appointments plus 3 months free HD so it is free after all. IMO, picture quality on the H20 is better than H10 but the responsiveness is slower.

#116 OFFLINE   dvdguyjt

dvdguyjt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:17 PM

Anyone noticed lots of problems lately with the SF stations.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not using the digital outputs from the box (don't have the inputs). I'm using component video and regular L/R audio cabling to my TV.

We all know KTVU is having audio sync issues.

The last couple of days, KPIX has had audio tht sounded like it was cutting in and out when there was music or any constant sound.

Last night KGO was off sync between the audio and video AND The picture was jumping here and there.

The only channel I have yet to find a problem with is KNTV.

Good thing I have the DNS HD channels for now........

JT

#117 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:42 PM

Anyone noticed lots of problems lately with the SF stations.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not using the digital outputs from the box (don't have the inputs). I'm using component video and regular L/R audio cabling to my TV.
We all know KTVU is having audio sync issues.
The last couple of days, KPIX has had audio tht sounded like it was cutting in and out when there was music or any constant sound.
Last night KGO was off sync between the audio and video AND The picture was jumping here and there.
The only channel I have yet to find a problem with is KNTV.
Good thing I have the DNS HD channels for now........
JT

I checked at lunch today and KGO audio was even more out of sync than before.

My wife said that KTVU went out of sync last night but when she changed channels and then back, it snapped back in.

I haven't noticed any problems with either KPIX or KNTV although it does seem from time to time that KPIX is just a bit, almost impereceptably off. Just enough to make you blink hard a couple of times to see if it's you.

I too still have the L.A. ABC, CBS, and NBC feeds so they are an option for the network stuff and the local SD feeds for Bay Area news, etc.

Gee, just like before the H20/AT9 upgrade, only with rain fade.

Oh, and there is another thread on these software issues - H20 software update available.

#118 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:54 PM

I just wish I could get the damn installation done. I guess the HDTV gods do not want me to get hi-def. The D* installer finally showed up this time (after two cancellations). But before he started the job, he told me he was having chest pains and didn't think he should be climbing on a step ladder. Seeing as how this could be serious, I told him to go to the doctor. He called his boss, and then left. Ironwood rescheduled me for next Tuesday. I hope the installer is OK.

#119 OFFLINE   maccur

maccur

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 06:58 PM

Well, fourth installation try yesterday was a success. I got rid of E* for D* because of the local HDTV (no way to get OTA in my area). And, I guess I have the same problem as others with audio out of synch on KTVU Fox 2. Has anyone come up with a method to correct this problem other than waiting for D* to address it?

#120 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:52 AM

I was complaining about low signal strengths and rain fade. One of the techs tried to secure it, it was still shaky. Last tech came on Dec 23rd says we'll have to have a supervisor come out and discuss moving the dish to a more secure location with you. Waited and waited no call. I call D* last Tuesday and complain they say someone from Ironwood would call with in 24hrs. William (supervisor) calls me Wednesday. I told him I will not take off work and I get home at 3, he says he will be at my house at 3:30. He showed up right on time. He was disgusted with the job his installers did. He was talking on 2 phones at the same time trying to resolve other problems in the area, had a tech not to far from me way over his head that he needed to go help. I did have TV and no storm expected soon, I tell him to go ahead and help the other guy. He promised to come back the next day same time and will move the dish from my wood shake roof and mount to chimney. He shows up the next day a tad late, no biggie. The dish is finally mounted securely and I should not get any more signal losses due to storms.

It took a while, but I finally got someone that knew what he was doing. Thanks, William.

spam firewall