Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Todays 5-LNB/H20/6x8 Multiswitch install postponed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:16 AM

I'm bummed. 2 problems.

I had a scheduled appointment today for my H20/5-LNB/6x8 multiswitch installation. The contractor (from Chantilly, VA.) called and cancelled. I have to call and reschedule w/D*. I have an existing 3-lnb, 5x8 switch, and HR10-250. The work order was basically written wrong. They were supposed to come out WITH the new MPEG4 hardware (listed above)while I got to keep my existing hardware. Instead of the work order indicating what i already had installed(3-lnb, 5x8, Hr10-250) and it was to be replaced, it was indicating that that is what was supposed to BE installed. Did that come out right?

Here's the kicker. I was told that D* has not started shipping the 5-lnb to the D.C. DMA yet. That should be taking place Dec. 8th. As well as when they will start broadcasting local HD to D.C. Therefore they would not be installing any MPEG4 upgrade equipment until at least the 8th of Dec. I may be able to reschedule the install FOR the 8th, however, he also stated that I may not be able to schedule and on the books my installation UNTIL the 8th.

I asked if they had done any installs in the D.C. area yet and he said no and that the techs will be in training over the next few days. I guess I'm going to be a guinea pig.

The contractor was very nice and straight forward. Also seemed to be very honest
If he didn't have an answer he would simply say he didn't know.

I'll be calling D* next. This is getting interesting to say the least. Wish me luck. Ill keep guys informed.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:48 AM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
20 Minutes later. After speaking with D* installation and scheduling.

Basically the 5-LNB won't be available for shipping to the D.C. DMA until the 8th. Also when she tried scheduling me, in their system, there was not a choice for the 5-lnb to be added to the work order. Which means I have to call back on the 8th to get then get a new schedule date.

AT9 to SWM16

#3 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:14 PM

WHAT! that sucks.......WAIT I thought some D.C. folks already have it?

Is somebody yanking your chain, read the forums and if D* is blowing smoke, keep calling back until you find someone that knows something.

#4 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 07:18 AM

I am also in the DC area.. The H20 is being advertised at CC and BB, but the 5LNB is not yet available.

Here is the email I received from D*:

Thank you for writing. We are sorry, but because we do not yet provide HD locals in your area, we cannot yet upgrade your equipment to MPEG-4 equipment. However, once we provide HD locals in your area later this year, we will have an offer to replace your receiver with an H20 receiver and your dish with a 5-LNB dish. We currently provide HD locals in Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, and San Francisco. However, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Tampa and Washington, D.C. are expected to launch later this year. More cities will be added in mid-2006.

At this time, our current HD programming will continue to be broadcast using the MPEG-2 standard; MPEG-4 technology will be used only to provide local HD programming in select cities.

Once local HD programming launches in your city, please call us at 1-800-531-5000 to order your HD equipment upgrade as we will have an offer for you by then.

Thanks again for writing. More details will be available when we launch the local HD service in your area, so watch your local TV, radio or mailbox for upcoming announcements or visit DIRECTV.com/HD for the latest news.

Sincerely,

Ashley
DIRECTV Customer Service

"But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to."
Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac

#5 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:32 AM

WHAT! that sucks.......WAIT I thought some D.C. folks already have it?

Is somebody yanking your chain, read the forums and if D* is blowing smoke, keep calling back until you find someone that knows something.

As far as I know there as not been any official installs in the D.C. From what Iv'e been able to gather from other folks, I don't think my chain is getting jerked. I simply think many of the CSR'sjust don't the current info.in front of them.

AT9 to SWM16

#6 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:41 PM

I am a new DirecTV customer. I purchased my H20 and R15 from Value Electronics. My installation was scheduled for 12/03. The installer called yesterday morning stating that he needed to re-shedule my appointment, because he was having issues doing another installation. I was re-scheduled for tomorrow Dec 5th. I was planning to show him the installation videos just in case he didn't know how to install the new dish, though the AT9 does come with an installation booklet. I'll let you guys know how my installation goes tomorrow afternoon.

Victor
-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

#7 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:29 PM

I am a new DirecTV customer. I purchased my H20 and R15 from Value Electronics. My installation was scheduled for 12/03. The installer called yesterday morning stating that he needed to re-shedule my appointment, because he was having issues doing another installation. I was re-scheduled for tomorrow Dec 5th. I was planning to show him the installation videos just in case he didn't know how to install the new dish, though the AT9 does come with an installation booklet. I'll let you guys know how my installation goes tomorrow afternoon.

Victor

Do you know the name of your installer? The company that is doing my install has an office in Warrenton and Chantilly. Mine got outright cancelled becauase D* hasn't provided with the AT9 dish. I called the installation and scheduling CSR's and they confirmed that was true.

AT9 to SWM16

#8 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:32 PM

Do you know the name of your installer? The company that is doing my install has an office in Warrenton and Chantilly. Mine got outright cancelled becauase D* hasn't provided with the AT9 dish. I called the installation and scheduling CSR's and they confirmed that was true.

I am not sure. I'll let you know tomorrow. I got a voice mail today confirming the installation for tomorrow morning. Hopefully everything will go just fine.
-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

#9 OFFLINE   Claus

Claus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:17 PM

Hi Victor,
Please if you can, watch Mr. installer when he peaks your new antenna and maybe can ask him to explain as he goes. I am curious if installers are well informed on the new dish. I am also interested if he uses a meter on the roof or your new H20 for signal strength tuning. If he could somehow use H20 (tv set on roof?) then I would personally sent him away because he would not be professional installer. If he says he is peaking Ka signal then maybe you should say something to him because this would be incorrect. Please let us know and good luck!
Claus

#10 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:57 AM

The company that is doing my install has an office in Warrenton and Chantilly..

HDTVsfan - which company? - I live in Warrenton....
"But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to."
Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac

#11 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:18 AM

HDTVsfan - which company? - I live in Warrenton....

Hello deraz,

The name D* gave me was MASTEC/Advanced Technologies. I called the 800# then they gave the local.

5-Minutes Later:
Edit: I don't have my notes in front of me, however I believe the company is out of Winchester VA. not Warrenton. I'll check when I go home for lunch. The installer that called me this past Sat. said he was calling from the Chantilly office. My apologies in advance.

AT9 to SWM16

#12 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:58 AM

Hi Victor,
Please if you can, watch Mr. installer when he peaks your new antenna and maybe can ask him to explain as he goes. I am curious if installers are well informed on the new dish. I am also interested if he uses a meter on the roof or your new H20 for signal strength tuning. If he could somehow use H20 (tv set on roof?) then I would personally sent him away because he would not be professional installer. If he says he is peaking Ka signal then maybe you should say something to him because this would be incorrect. Please let us know and good luck!
Claus

This sucks :( The guy they sent me didn't even know about the new dish. He thought it was an international dish :nono2: He doesn't even have a meter :mad: He keeps on coming to my living room to check the signal strength... I am showing him the videos now
-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

#13 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:55 AM

This sucks :( The guy they sent me didn't even know about the new dish. He thought it was an international dish :nono2: He doesn't even have a meter :mad: He keeps on coming to my living room to check the signal strength... I am showing him the videos now

I'm surprised he showed up at all. Not from a shady stand point, but rather, again my install was postponed because D* wasn't shipping the AT9 to the contractors in the D.C. DMA.

And the drama continues.

AT9 to SWM16

#14 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:19 PM

Update. He spent close to 4 hrs at my house trying to get the AT9 to work. He first was having issues getting a good signal with the H20 receiver... I think he got 85 max. Unfortunately, he couldn't get all the satellites up :( I can however see all channels including the HD channels such as ESPN, Discovery, etc... so I wonder what that satellite is for. Here are some pics of my errors. I am going to have to re-schedule someone to align my dish once again :nono2:

Attached Thumbnails

• dtv1.jpg
  • dtv2.jpg
  • dtv3.jpg

-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

#15 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:28 PM

Update. He spent close to 4 hrs at my house trying to get the AT9 to work. He first was having issues getting a good signal with the H20 receiver... I think he got 85 max. Unfortunately, he couldn't get all the satellites up :( I can however see all channels including the HD channels such as ESPN, Discovery, etc... so I wonder what that satellite is for. Here are some pics of my errors. I am going to have to re-schedule someone to align my dish once again :nono2:

Isn't it snowing pretty good where your at now? Also, who was the contractor.

Thanks.

AT9 to SWM16

#16 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:30 PM

That last one (I was told) is for international and it is "suppose" to fail. My installer has the last 2 on that screen failing. :mad: and I am missing my HD channels I get the locals but that is it! none from the package.

#17 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:56 PM

That last one (I was told) is for international and it is "suppose" to fail. My installer has the last 2 on that screen failing. :mad: and I am missing my HD channels I get the locals but that is it! none from the package.

I was just going through the installation proccess on my H20 and it seems that the installer chose on the additional Satellites dishes screen the 72.5 and 95 dishes... I am not sure why. There's only one dish on my roof. I believe he did this because if he didn't choose anything on that screen, he'd have to choose something on the multiswitch screen, and according to him he didn't use one. There are 3 cables coming from the dish to the inside of my house. One for the H20 and 2 for the R15. Did he do anything wrong? :confused:

Thanks,

Victor

P.S I am not familiar with the dish installation at all... sorry

Attached Thumbnails

• dtv4.jpg
  • dtv5.jpg
  • dtv6.jpg

-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

#18 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:10 PM

Isn't it snowing pretty good where your at now? Also, who was the contractor.

Thanks.

It started snowing just before the installer left. There was no accumulation at all, at least not in the Herndon/Reston area. The company name is American Communications. The guy said he was based on North Carolina, though he said they have local installers.
-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

#19 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:10 PM

I was just going through the installation proccess on my H20 and it seems that the installer chose on the additional Satellites dishes screen the 72.5 and 95 dishes... I am not sure why. There's only one dish on my roof. I believe he did this because if he didn't choose anything on that screen, he'd have to choose something on the multiswitch screen, and according to him he didn't use one. There are 3 cables coming from the dish to the inside of my house. One for the H20 and 2 for the R15. Did he do anything wrong? :confused:

Thanks,

Victor

P.S I am not familiar with the dish installation at all... sorry

1st pic mine show not installed, 2nd pic mine show 6X8 and shouldn't it be, even if you dont need it at the time shouldnt they be installing NOW as part of the upgrade for future use at least?

3rd pic wow thats how he did it, that looks a mess not professional at all!

#20 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:27 PM

3rd pic wow thats how he did it, that looks a mess not professional at all!

I'm I missing something from earlier posts. Why did the installer even need to use the splitters if Victor20170 only needed three cable drops. Doesn't the new dish have 4 outputs to begin with?

AT9 to SWM16

Protected By... spam firewall...And...