Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can't stand 921 anymore

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   madbrain

madbrain

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:50 AM

Tonight I was recording Law & Order:CI off NBC KNTV (11.1) in HD in San Jose from 9pm to 10pm.

I started watching the show at 9:35pm, time-delayed. The 921 immediately hung as I pressed the forward 30s key. The picture got stuck on the last frame before fast forward. A couple of minutes later, the 921 rebooted itself.

Around 9:40pm, the 921 came back on. This meant I had lost 5mins of the show. I attempted to watch the show again from the beginning. And then the 921 hung again, and rebooted again !!!

After that, I called Dish network . I got transferred from operator to support, to advanced support. There, I was told that there are problems with the DVR functions on local channels, and I shouldn't use them until they get fixed. Uh? I pointed out that DVR on local channels is the main reason I bought the 921. I asked when the problem would get fixed, but there was no estimate. I asked if I could get a receiver that worked, such as the 942, but I was told that wasn't possible and those receivers are only available for retail sale.

So, I asked to get transferred once again to cancel my Dish network account.

At first I was offered one month of free service for the inconvenience., and a replacement 921. But I explained that I paid $500 for the unit and I expected it to work, and the one month free service wasn't going to make up for that. As to the replacement 921, I have already had one which helped nothing, and the problems are clearly software rather than hardware related, so I declined .

I was offered the option of getting a non-DVR HD receiver. I explained I already had a non-DVR OTA HD receiver and didn't need another one (I primarily watch OTA HD, not satellite HD).

Next, I was told I could trade my 921 for a 942 with a local retailer. I don't know of any retailers that do exchanges, but if they did I'm pretty sure I would have to pay extra, which I'm not willing to. I already paid for the 921 and I want it to just work.

I was told I could also just not use the 921 and use my other DVR-508 which works fine. That would be OK if I hadn't already shelled out the $500 for the 921, and they weren't willing to give me a refund on it.

So, Dish network lost a customer of 7 years tonight. I'll be watching the remaining shows in my DVRs, assuming they don't cause hangs. And after that I'll be listing them for sale, assuming nobody at Dish figures out a way to get me a working receiver.
DishPVR 921 - boot 140B, flash F052, SW L276HECD-N
DishDVR 622 - SW L356

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jergenf

jergenf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:19 AM

It sounds like you're having a hardware problem with your unit.

I'm assuming it had worked before.

The only thing I've seen where the unit causes picture freeze is when there's a loss of signal on a particular station for a significant ammount of time. That can be verified if recordings work on other channels except the one you're attempting to record from. Even when not recording the same problem would appear if it station related. If you find the unit unable to record from any whether OTA or sat then it sound like a hardware problem.

PS: If you can upgrade from 921 to 942 the difference between the price of the two units would seem fair. If there is a problem with your existing unit you would need to factor in the repair cost in order not to be guilty of disclosure.

#3 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:12 AM

PS: If you can upgrade from 921 to 942 the difference between the price of the two units would seem fair. If there is a problem with your existing unit you would need to factor in the repair cost in order not to be guilty of disclosure.

With all the issues with the 921 as well as the features that were promised and then dropped, I don't exactly agree with you on this.

I just hope that Dish would do a good thing to the users that have the more expensive hardware and more than likely are subscribed to more of the upper tier packages and provide free upgrades when the mpeg4 compatible hd-dvr becomes available.

Until then, I am sticking with my 921.

#4 OFFLINE   rdopso

rdopso

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:41 AM

I also am a long-time Dish customer, but am getting pretty frustrated with the apparent lack of ability or initiative to resolve software and hardware issues with the Dish DVRs, especially the 921. I am trying to be patient with this because the basic concept and design of the 921 are good and I like all the features; however, continually rebooting to fix software problems, and having to live with others because they apparently cannot be fixed is getting pretty old. This is not inexpensive electronics we are purchasing from Dish and I suspect most of us with many thousands of dollars in our A/V setups (and everyone else for that matter) are not accustomed to putting up with this kind of buggy equipment. I will hang in there for awhile longer with Dish, but I cannot promise I can maintain my enthusiasm forever. Plese Dish, put some more resources into resolving these very frustrating DVR issues -- that would be in everyone's best interests in the long run.

#5 OFFLINE   chris03053

chris03053

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:14 PM

New guy here. I'm also having problems with my 921. Most of the times it wont switch to HD from SD. So i have to reboot it. It seems i have to do it at least 3 times a week. Then it tapes for what reason on Sunday CSI-Miami that's on Monday. I can't seem to fix that problem. Anybody else have that problem?

#6 OFFLINE   jergenf

jergenf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:22 PM

New guy here. I'm also having problems with my 921. Most of the times it wont switch to HD from SD. So i have to reboot it.

Known bug for at least a year, as you said you can only reboot.

Then it tapes for what reason on Sunday CSI-Miami that's on Monday. I can't seem to fix that problem. Anybody else have that problem?

Delete Monday's program and add it back again. It always worked for me. Also if you go to the timer menu #7 the timer in question may appear in the wrong section of the listing. Example your Monday timer is listed within the Sunday events (that a tip for a possible premature timer failure).

#7 OFFLINE   chris03053

chris03053

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:52 PM

Known bug for at least a year, as you said you can only reboot.

Delete Monday's program and add it back again. It always worked for me. Also if you go to the timer menu #7 the timer in question may appear in the wrong section of the listing. Example your Monday timer is listed within the Sunday events (that a tip for a possible premature timer failure).

Thanks, i'll check on the timer menu one. I've done the first one, but it seems to do it again.

#8 OFFLINE   madbrain

madbrain

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:31 PM

Hi,

It sounds like you're having a hardware problem with your unit.

I'm assuming it had worked before.

The only thing I've seen where the unit causes picture freeze is when there's a loss of signal on a particular station for a significant ammount of time. That can be verified if recordings work on other channels except the one you're attempting to record from. Even when not recording the same problem would appear if it station related. If you find the unit unable to record from any whether OTA or sat then it sound like a hardware problem.

I disagree they are hardware problems - they are clearly software problems.
The problems only happen on certain shows, not on certain channels. Most shows from all channels record and playback fine. The bugs are clearly related to the data recorded in some of the show. For a few shows, the unit hangs while playing back or fast forwarding - and only for those shows . But due to Murphy's law, the failure usually happens on my favorite shows. The need for a reboot means that part of the program is always lost since the reboot of the 921 takes 5 minutes. Yesterday it hung and rebooted 3 times in the course of an hour while I was trying to watch Law & order CI , which means a quarter of the program was lost. I was not able to watch it, so I deleted it !

Even if there is a signal loss of any kind, this shouldn't cause the receiver to hang, reboot, and be completely unavailable for 5 minutes - doubly so since it's a dual-tuner model. It should only display an error about signal loss in the recorded program. This is just proper software engineering !

I don't think it would be fair for me to pay anything to "upgrade" to the 942. I just want a working unit - I don't want any of the extra features in the 942. I already paid $500 for the 921, a $5/month DVR fee for a year for a receiver that's full of bugs, a $5/month additional receiver fee for a year, and a $5/month extended warranty fee for a year that doesn't do any good because Dish can't fix the damn 921 bugs !

These costs add up to $680 . If Dish refunds all of these costs, then I will gladly agree to buy a 942. Since the 942 can be had for $620, I will have money left over.
DishDVR 622 - SW L356

#9 OFFLINE   RWI

RWI

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:57 PM

I feel your pain, I gave up about 2 month's ago with Dish also over the 921. I changed over to Direct and could not be happier, I got 2 standard Tivo's and 1 HD. All I can say is that they work, not 1 reboot, not 1 missed show, I finally can just sit down and watch tv without troubleshooting first. Yes the guide is very slow but hey if that's the biggest problem compared to 921, there is no comparison. Dish gave me the we can give you an 811 bull to, what a joke!!! It is really a shame how they treat their top tier customers.

#10 OFFLINE   conner65

conner65

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:52 PM

I feel your pain, I gave up about 2 month's ago with Dish also over the 921. I changed over to Direct and could not be happier, I got 2 standard Tivo's and 1 HD. All I can say is that they work, not 1 reboot, not 1 missed show, I finally can just sit down and watch tv without troubleshooting first. Yes the guide is very slow but hey if that's the biggest problem compared to 921, there is no comparison. Dish gave me the we can give you an 811 bull to, what a joke!!! It is really a shame how they treat their top tier customers.

I agree. Dish has taken a cavalier attitude with their 921 customers. We are the early adopters and typically spend more money for cutting edge equipment. I will leave if they don't give me a MPEG4 DVR HD replacement when they become available. The 921 has been an unmitigated disaster
GO FALCONS!
directtv Genie

#11 OFFLINE   jergenf

jergenf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:39 AM

The problems only happen on certain shows, not on certain channels.

Even if there is a signal loss of any kind, this shouldn't cause the receiver to hang, reboot, and be completely unavailable for 5 minutes - doubly so since it's a dual-tuner model. It should only display an error about signal loss in the recorded program. This is just proper software engineering !

Are you saying the box reboots itself during the recording process?

I can tell you what I've experienced but not sure if it's anything like yours.

On one occasion which my previous 921 I was recording SHO-HD and the movie froze. There was still a signal but is was as if live TV stopped. Other channels were working fine and I was able to still rewind but fast forward would always stop at that last frame again. Was able to go into DVR menu and stop the recording. Further attempts to record that channel resulted in a freeze action again. This lasted for 3 - 4 hours even when I attempted to just view the station it would freeze frame after a few seconds of viewing. Since it was only occurring on that one channel and just during those few hours I concluded it was a station problem.

On one other occasion while watching (possibly recording don't remember) my box rebooted for no reason. Never had or heard of unit rebooting while still on and in use. Things seemed fine afterward but (4-6 hours) later that day the unit stopped responding while I was channel surfing. I rebooted (push button) and received a hard drive failure (a weird clicking sound continued most likely the actuator). Don't know if that self reboot had anything to do with the failure but I felt it was an omen because a few hours later my unit died. My unit was still under warranty so there was no charge.

I don't think it would be fair for me to pay anything to "upgrade" to the 942. I just want a working unit - I don't want any of the extra features in the 942. I already paid $500 for the 921, a $5/month DVR fee for a year for a receiver that's full of bugs, a $5/month additional receiver fee for a year, and a $5/month extended warranty fee for a year that doesn't do any good because Dish can't fix the damn 921 bugs !

When my 921 died I tried to negotiate an upgrade even for a difference in price between the two models. All they would do is send me another 921. Next time you talk with dishnetwork find out the replacement cost for a 921 without a warranty. Based on what I was quoted in September it was $20 plus S&H which comes close to the extended warranty fee (but that's assuming you only have 1 replacement per year).

#12 OFFLINE   tech_biz

tech_biz

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:18 PM

Hi,

I suggest contacting one of the law firms that handles class action lawsuits.
I contacted one this morning and will be waiting to hear back. I'm in Ca.

I know the lawyers get plenty of cash for class action suits but this may be the only way to get Dish Network's attention.

CLASS ACTION!!!!

#13 OFFLINE   chris03053

chris03053

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:11 PM

I would have gone to Direct but with 5 recievers and international i have to stay with Dish for now. :(

#14 OFFLINE   madbrain

madbrain

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:34 PM

Are you saying the box reboots itself during the recording process?

I can tell you what I've experienced but not sure if it's anything like yours.

Yes, the box rebooted itself during the recording process. So, it's not similar to your problem in that way. You didn't have a forced reboot on you !
Having to reboot the 921 to fix problems is one thing, having it reboot itself and lose recording is quite another.

The scenario for me was :
1) I had a timer set for 9pm to 10pm
2) around 9:30 pm, I started watching the show that was in the process of being recorded from the beginning, ie. time-delayed
3) there was a commercial at the beginning, so I hit forward. That's when the playback froze, then the 921 rebooted itself and recording stopped
4) after the 921 came back on, I tried to watch the show again from the beginning. The unit froze and rebooted again
5) after the 921 came on again, I tried to watch from the beginning again, and it rebooted again.

Ie. It was a pre-recorded show of death that would kill the 921 when you play it back and force a reboot. In the end the show was in 4 pieces, the first of which would kill the 921 upon playback, and I had missed 15 minutes of the show overall. If that's not a software problem I don't know what is ! So I deleted all the pieces, and I cancelled my dish subscription.
DishDVR 622 - SW L356

#15 OFFLINE   Geoff Goodfellow

Geoff Goodfellow

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:11 AM

CLASS ACTION!!!!

did you see the xbox 360 class-action lawsuit against Microsoft that was filed today?

A Chicago resident has filed a class-action lawsuit against Microsoft claiming that his Xbox 360 video-game console is inoperable due to overheating.

Robert Byers, who made the complaint in a federal court in Illinois, alleges that the next-generation console has a design flaw that could cause the power adapter to overheat. He claims that Microsoft shipped defective units despite being aware of the problem.

http://news.yahoo.co...206/tc_nf/39953

how about

A San Francisco Bay Area resident has filed a class-action lawsuit against Echostar claiming that his 921 DVR is inoperable due to software and hardware bugs.

tech_biz, who made the complaint in a federal court in California, alleges that the next-generation HD Digital Video Recorder has design flaws that cause freezing picture, pixelation and audio dropouts. He claims that Echostar shipped defective units despite being aware of the problems for the last two years.
DishDVR 921: boot 150B; flash F054; sw L277HEED-N + Dish HD34-310 monitor + DPP-Twin 110/119/148

#16 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:03 AM

did you see the xbox 360 class-action lawsuit against Microsoft that was filed today?

"....all signs point to this being a minor problem to the extent that a majority of units are not affected. Of the 25 people I know with an Xbox 360, not a single one has problems. While that is not a significant sample size, it is large enough to put claims that "nearly all" units have problems, or that it is extremely commonplace. Furthermore, of those who have had problems, most have found the problems to lie not with the console per se, but with the power brick. It appears to overheat, and as we previously reported, improving airflow seems to do the trick...."

Ahhh!

full story: here

#17 OFFLINE   ntexasdude

ntexasdude

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:19 AM

..............how about

A San Francisco Bay Area resident has filed a class-action lawsuit against Echostar claiming that his 921 DVR is inoperable due to software and hardware bugs.

tech_biz, who made the complaint in a federal court in California, alleges that the next-generation HD Digital Video Recorder has design flaws that cause freezing picture, pixelation and audio dropouts. He claims that Echostar shipped defective units despite being aware of the problems for the last two years.

Interesting, one of our own. I can't wait to see how this shakes out.

I'm still not giving up my 921. I'd have to rate it 9-1/2 stars out of 10.:)
My time walkin' the blue globe is sparse. Hopefully, see ya'll on the flipside.

#18 OFFLINE   jergenf

jergenf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:30 AM

It was a pre-recorded show of death that would kill the 921 when you play it back and force a reboot. In the end the show was in 4 pieces, the first of which would kill the 921 upon playback, and I had missed 15 minutes of the show overall. If that's not a software problem I don't know what is ! So I deleted all the pieces, and I cancelled my dish subscription.

I believe you may be the first to report this paticular problem. If it's software related I imagine there would be more complaints. You should be able to play, pause, FF during a recording in progress. The self reboots sounds serious enough to want another unit.
PS: Are you still using your 921 for OTA recordings?

#19 OFFLINE   sledhead 700

sledhead 700

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:15 AM

I believe you may be the first to report this paticular problem. If it's software related I imagine there would be more complaints. You should be able to play, pause, FF during a recording in progress. The self reboots sounds serious enough to want another unit.

Reported to dish.
Same issue here reboots in the middle of playback usually when using the skip forward button. Another big annoyance is the stuck aspect ratio this happens at least 5 out of 7 days sometime twice in the same night. Reboot for this... Reboot for that... they should put a reboot button on the remote!!

Dave

#20 OFFLINE   madbrain

madbrain

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:23 PM

I may be the first one to report this, but it's not the first time I experience the problem. I already had it happen this summer while watching the US Open tennis. I was again watching time delayed, and lost large parts of the match I was trying to watch due to it . But somehow it didn't annoy me as much that time as it did this week-end.

The self reboot is certainly serious to want another unit that doesn't have this problem, but I don't think this would be another 921 since it is a software bug.
DishDVR 622 - SW L356

Protected By... spam firewall...And...