Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can't stand 921 anymore

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:44 AM

Add me to the group! I had a HDNET Cage Fighting recording that had 850 or so minutes listed for a 70 minute recording (this recording was made when E* was having problems with the video/audio on this channel and on the VOOM channels).

I could skip forward fine until about the last 10 minutes then the 921 froze. After some time, it automatically rebooted and after restarting, it was sluggish. I did a power cord reboot and after restart it worked fine. The good thing, I didn't lose any of my recorded DVR events!

This problem was on my HECD model 921.

In the past when I've had this problem, the freeze usually occurred at a point where the remaining time goes from the extremely incorrect time to the more correct time. (I discovered this when FF and noticed the point where the remaining time corrected for the three to two digits).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   madbrain

madbrain

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:17 AM

Well, it looks like this problem wasn't so isolated after all !
Glad to see you guys didn't suffer any lost DVR events - I obviously lost what was being recorded at the time of the spontaneous reboot . I hope you are all calling Dish to complain. Not that it does much good mind you .
DishPVR 921 - boot 140B, flash F052, SW L276HECD-N
DishDVR 622 - SW L356

#43 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:24 AM

Do find it interesting that we are seeing more people coming forward with seeing this type of tying. As you described madbrain, when it happend to you once it happend it was reproducable with that particular content. Is this the case with other folks are does it seem to be random events tied to the skip button? Has people only seen this occur with the skip button or as other events caused a spontaneous reboot? We might be talking about the same issue here or perhaps we are talking about two types issues. Based on what I have read above I am not sure.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#44 OFFLINE   KKlare

KKlare

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:20 AM

I know that when the skip/fast-forward anomaly I was watching a Stargate SG-1 recording many months ago. It would "reliably" jump back to the start of the program. It also had a bad number of minutes left -- greater than 1000. The program could be viewed if you just sat through the commercials until the the pause showed a normal time left.

I hope this does not bode for a way to keep the ad people happy. :)
-Ken

#45 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:41 AM

Is this the case with other folks are does it seem to be random events tied to the skip button? Has people only seen this occur with the skip button or as other events caused a spontaneous reboot? ........

Based on what I have read above I am not sure.

I think there is something in the broadcast signal which makes the 921 react and create the wrong time issue, then the SKIP action at the particular point of corruption is the trigger for the freeze/reset.

#46 OFFLINE   madbrain

madbrain

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:31 AM

I think there is something in the broadcast signal which makes the 921 react and create the wrong time issue, then the SKIP action at the particular point of corruption is the trigger for the freeze/reset.

I think that may be true in some cases - I have seen several events in the past with weird durations (some with 24 hours, some with negative numbers, even), but in the case of the L&O CI event that I originally open this thread about, there was no visible corruption or loss of signal, either audio or video, when I watched the event after the many reboots, without pressing the skip button at the beginning.
DishPVR 921 - boot 140B, flash F052, SW L276HECD-N
DishDVR 622 - SW L356

#47 OFFLINE   rdopso

rdopso

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 02:24 PM

I think that may be true in some cases - I have seen several events in the past with weird durations (some with 24 hours, some with negative numbers, even), but in the case of the L&O CI event that I originally open this thread about, there was no visible corruption or loss of signal, either audio or video, when I watched the event after the many reboots, without pressing the skip button at the beginning.

My version of this issue was 100% repeatable but the freeze/reboot could only be induced with the skip button during the commercial which preceded the recorded DiscHD program. My probem would seem to be consistent with the other reports.

#48 OFFLINE   mastruck

mastruck

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:00 AM

I just found this forum, and at 1st I was glad to find out I am not alone with my 921 issues. Now having thought about how DishNetwork is handling the widespread problems with the 921 and the endless amount of time I have wasted with their tech support people I am furious.

I have ~$2,000 in DishNetork equipment and a $130 monthly bill. I will time my switch to DirectTV to line up with the newer MPEG4 equipment I think, but maybe I will just do it now.

I can't believe I have put up with this as long as I have...

#49 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:09 PM

boylehome- The 921 does use PSIP data for that purpose. It is part of the channel remap, call sign and time stamp. It is my belief without disecting those data entries, that if something were not valid in the PSIP data that you would not get the signal at all. However, if the time clock were just incorrect and they were sending the wrong time but configured properly in the PSIP, you could have a point of error. When our local CBS affiliate here first started their digital broadcast they had some problems with the computer clock running off and this was detectable at the receiver end. They finally found a way to auto correct the computer to a web site for accurate time clock and this resolved the problem. During that period My 921 was not yet using PSIP at all as back then the 921 software would not auto remap the channels, in other words, you were to tune the RF channel number to get OTA and there was no call letters in the guide. AS soon as the Eldon group released one of the software upgrades that required PSIP remap data, we lost 2 stations here until the station engineers got their table entries properly formated. What is interesting is if your 921 is using both the PSIP clock from the station and the clock is off by say 20 minutes, and the program guide data from Tribune (Dish LIL) this confict may, indeed cause something to run amuck, don't you think?

#50 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:56 PM

boylehome- The 921 does use PSIP data for that purpose. It is part of the channel remap, call sign and time stamp. It is my belief without disecting those data entries, that if something were not valid in the PSIP data that you would not get the signal at all. However, if the time clock were just incorrect and they were sending the wrong time but configured properly in the PSIP, you could have a point of error. When our local CBS affiliate here first started their digital broadcast they had some problems with the computer clock running off and this was detectable at the receiver end. They finally found a way to auto correct the computer to a web site for accurate time clock and this resolved the problem. During that period My 921 was not yet using PSIP at all as back then the 921 software would not auto remap the channels, in other words, you were to tune the RF channel number to get OTA and there was no call letters in the guide. AS soon as the Eldon group released one of the software upgrades that required PSIP remap data, we lost 2 stations here until the station engineers got their table entries properly formated. What is interesting is if your 921 is using both the PSIP clock from the station and the clock is off by say 20 minutes, and the program guide data from Tribune (Dish LIL) this confict may, indeed cause something to run amuck, don't you think?

I tend to agree with your theory. For information, recently, our NBC affiliate changed to HD. They put in new equipment. They are having problems with the PSIP data stream (plus lots of other things). At first the 921 would acquire and lock on the signal, but all I could get was a black screen and no audio. I contacted the NBC affiliate and E*. The affiliate made some PSIP changes at the broadcast center. The changes made allowed me to record and view the programs after recording! Strange. I still couldn't view/hear the programs, "live." (I'm still working with them). Now I can view live but respective to DVR events, I have not seen a weird timer/clock problem. I guess the point is, if things aren't right with the PSIP then things don't work right with the 921's.

If the time/clock issue isn't a result of the PSIP "glitches" then is it something specific to the 921? The problem occurs mostly with OTA DVR events but I have experienced it with satellite programing. Not having a 942, VIP622 or the HR10-250, I can't say it is wide spread to all DVR's. I've seen it on my 721 but I have not seen it on my 501 or my 510.

Personally, I think that there is a glitch in the data stream for the timer/clock. So do you think that I'm close or way off track?

#51 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:45 PM

I would not be surprised. When E* changed the way it's 921 maps the local OTA channels forcing everything to appear as the remapped channel that made it depend on the PSIP table entries for display. There are conditions whwere you may be able to see the channel on the RF number but that all depends on the station's signal. The clock issue, I believe would be related to you having one clock for all your sat channels including LIL locals and then a diffetent time coming from the PSIP. I can envision this causing a real conflict if the 921 is programmed to see both times for that channel. Both the HR10-250 and the 921 use PSIP channel callsign and clock for OTA tuning. Neither use PSIP guide data. They use TMS guide service.

spam firewall