Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

More DirecTV HD Locals on the Way This Week

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:03 AM

DirecTV's local HD slate is set to grow again later this week.
Local HD from the satellite TV service will launch this Thursday in Boston, Washington, D.C., Tampa, Dallas and Houston.

In early November, DirecTV launched HD locals for Atlanta, San Francisco, Chicago and Philadelphia. Its first market for the high-def offering was Detroit.

DirecTV has been launching satellites and rolling out advanced set-top boxes in certain cities as part of its local HD channels push. The company has said it wants to deliver more than 1,500 local and more than 150 national HD channels and other advanced programming services to consumers nationwide by 2007.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:39 AM

Today's Press Release from DirecTV
---------------------------------------------

DIRECTV Delivers High-Definition Local Channels to Boston, Dallas, Houston, Tampa and Washington D.C. Today

DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading digital television service provider, announced today that it has begun offering local high-definition (HD) channels via satellite to
Boston, Dallas, Houston, Tampa and Washington D.C. today.

DIRECTV will carry each of the four primary broadcast stations - ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox - that offer an HD feed in the market.* Customers who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels will receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge.

DIRECTV now offers HD local programming in 10 cities and will launch two more cities - Los Angeles and New York - by the end of this year and 24 additional cities early next year, offering access to DIRECTV-delivered local HD channels in more than 57 percent of U.S. television households.

Customers can receive local HD channels by purchasing a new H20 HD receiver and a satellite dish that has the ability to receive programming from five different orbital locations. DIRECTV is offering new and existing non-HD customers who purchase a DIRECTV HD receiver a $200 mail-in rebate. (Limit one rebate per customer.) Receiving equipment is available at major consumer electronics retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City, and through DIRECTV. Existing HD Customers are eligible for a $99 dish upgrade and one free receiver, plus $99 for each additional HD receiver.

Source

#3 OFFLINE   nmstough

nmstough

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:18 PM

Today's Press Release from DirecTV
---------------------------------------------

DIRECTV will carry each of the four primary broadcast stations - ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox - that offer an HD feed in the market.* Customers who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels will receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge.

Source

Thats very interesting because it would seem to imply that you do not need to subscribe to the HD package in order to get the HD locals. So is the $200 rebate on the H20 good without subscribing to the HD package?

#4 OFFLINE   brad hunter

brad hunter

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:34 AM

Is there a site I can go to that has the release dates for the cities directv is releasing HD locals? I live in Raleigh, NC and I am tired of my hd attenna causing freezes in my picture when the wind blows.

What resolution are they releasing the hd locals in?

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:03 PM

Thats very interesting because it would seem to imply that you do not need to subscribe to the HD package in order to get the HD locals. So is the $200 rebate on the H20 good without subscribing to the HD package?

Your 1st sentence appears to be correct, but the second is not, the rebate is clearly tied to subscribing to the HD package($10.99/month) if you read the rebate form

#6 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 05:18 AM

Is there a site I can go to that has the release dates for the cities directv is releasing HD locals? I live in Raleigh, NC and I am tired of my hd antenna causing freezes in my picture when the wind blows.

Is your antenna aimed properly for best signal?

#7 OFFLINE   grooves12

grooves12

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:09 PM

So, it is JUST the big-4 in HD?? No UPN/WB/PBS HD channels??

#8 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:10 PM

So, it is JUST the big-4 in HD?? No UPN/WB/PBS HD channels??

Yes, for now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...