Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

CBS Ups Offer To Get Letterman To Stay ($31.5 Mil/Year)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2002 - 11:18 AM

www.usatoday.com/life/ent...terman.htm

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2002 - 12:12 PM

I've got the feeling Letterman will jump ship, regardless of the last offer by CBS. Seems like management and Dave aren't seeing eye to eye. :)

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2002 - 04:14 PM

CBS is out of their mind. 31.5 million for someone that is not even funny?? Why don't they let Dave and his idiotic humor go to ABC, then CBS can get Jon Stewart(who is actually funny) to be the new host of the Late Show. They get someone that's funny(unlike Letterman), and they save LOTS of $$. Seems like a smart move to me.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2002 - 05:06 PM

That salary is outrageous!!! I don't think he is worth that, and I've been a fan since he had that NBC morning show for a few month in 1980 or so.

I guess CBS feels they would rather have him in 2nd or 3rd place then be off the map?

I think Jon Stewart should stay exactly where he is. He caught lightning in a bottle with The Daily Show, the only thing is Comedy Central dosen't pay very well.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2002 - 07:07 AM

Of course the show is profitable. And CBS never made money in that time slot before. Not with movies. Not with Pat Sajak and not with Merv Griffin. So maybe he IS worth it.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2002 - 01:13 PM

I must have watched that movie 20 times, whenever I turn to it I can't turn it off. I wonder if the Letterman negotiations this time are as wild now as they were portrayed in the movie???

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2002 - 06:51 AM

I love the movie "Night Shift" as well. I have met David Letterman before and he is thay shy guy you see in the movie and he really does not have this high a self esteam.

I do hope that Dave does make the move to ABC, although I would hate to see him loose the Ed Sullivan Theater. What a great place this theater is. My only gripe with the place is that there is no mention of what a great place it was and the history that took place inside. I would love the lobby to have some photos of some of the great things that happened there, but there is only one photo of the old Ed Sullivan theater and that is hanging over the door to the floor entrance to Daves studio. I have been there a lot of times over the past few years to see Dave, but everytime I go I try to imagine what it was like when the Beatles were standing there on the stage, hearing all the screaming girls.

The reason I would like to see Dave go to ABC is because hopefully they give his show the support they deserve. If you haven't noticed, Dave hardly ever gets "good" guests. While Leno has some killer guests every night of the week. It seems as though CBS does not pull any strings for Dave. I would feel that ABC would gave Dave the support so it becomes a first class show, instead of the second rate show it is now.

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2002 - 05:03 PM

Looks like Dave has just resigned with CBS. :)

LOS ANGELES - Late-night television host David Letterman announced during the taping of his show on Monday that he has renewed his contract with CBS for five years rather than jump to rival network ABC.

<a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=579&u=/nm/20020311/en_nm/media_letterman_dc_7" target=none>Click here to read more</a>

spam firewall