Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MPEG4 in D.C. area

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
101 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:44 PM

Contacted CS for D* today about upgrade to H20 for MPEG4 and 5 LNB dish. CS kept putting me on hold while they researched what was available in my area. Informed me that there was no D* sponsered upgrade available but that I could purchase new H20 rcvr at BB and contact installation dept. for install. After correcting CS and pointing out that I had just subscribed to D* 6 weeks ago with H10 (dropped E* because of service and installation issues when upgrading to HD) and found out about H20 thru forum and local BB. Transferred me to Technical dept to find out about D* offers available to me. Explain all over again to Tech dept who informs me that I must talk to installation dept. Transfered again and put on hold. Installation rep says that I will have to buy H20 and pay $99 for 5LNB install. I ask to speak to a supervisior. Supervisor straightens everything out and says that they will swap my H10 for the H20 and waive the $99 install charge since I was a new customer who did not get the newest rcvr available to rcv local HD. After trying for several minutes to schedule installation date on her computer I was informed that I would have to call back on 12/8 rollout date. Meanwhile they have noted on my account all the previous concessions. Said that all the confusion stems from Corporate not informing CS agents of new hardware,etc.

Bottom line is to be knowledgeable and persistent. Don't take 1st NO as the definative answer. I will post after my call on the 8th to schedule swap to update.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:48 PM

Similar story here, but in defense of the CSR DirecTV team, I learned that their system will not allow you to order the H20 until 12/8 which is the official launch date. They noted my account and I'll call on Thursday morning to schedule the install.

I heard some local contractors do not have the dish in stock yet... I called the local contractor office to me and they do have the new 5 satellite dish, so I shouldbe good to go. You might want to find out who your local installer is and see if they have any of the new dish in stock! :grin:

#3 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:10 AM

Redskin9

First, welcome on board.

I am also in the DC area... You might want to check out this thread:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=48735

Just my opinion, but this install appears to be a lot more difficult than in the past. I am going to wait so that the installer is not "learning" on my house.
"But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to."
Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac

#4 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm quite aware of the learning curve issue associated with new technology but feel confident that the local D* support (I believe they are called Advanced Technologies) will be able to handle it. The D* installation supervisor I spoke to said that the same company that did my install will be providing the MPEG 4 / 5 LNB upgrade when we can get it scheduled. It was refreshing to see someone in a "DIRECTV" logo van show up as opposed to 2 guys in a rust bucket with a ladder strapped on the roof :(

It has been my experience that many of the subs that D* and E* use barely know what they are doing with the basic systems let alone advance technologies. I'll post after my upgrade disclose if I was correct.

#5 OFFLINE   deraz

deraz

Daydreamer

• Gold Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:14 PM

There is a half hour video on D* (I think on 592) about the install. Keep us posted on your experiences.

My last installer was just one guy in a rust bucket and he had to borrow a ladder.
"But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to."
Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac

#6 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm quite aware of the learning curve issue associated with new technology but feel confident that the local D* support (I believe they are called Advanced Technologies) will be able to handle it. The D* installation supervisor I spoke to said that the same company that did my install will be providing the MPEG 4 / 5 LNB upgrade when we can get it scheduled. It was refreshing to see someone in a "DIRECTV" logo van show up as opposed to 2 guys in a rust bucket with a ladder strapped on the roof :(

It has been my experience that many of the subs that D* and E* use barely know what they are doing with the basic systems let alone advance technologies. I'll post after my upgrade disclose if I was correct.

Advanced Technologies was the name of the installer that D* gave me. I actually had an appointment this past Sat. An hour before they were supposed to show they called and said that can't come becaus they don't have the 5-lnb. D* hadn't sent them any. D* cancelled the order and I have to reschedule. So I'll be calling like everybody else tomorrow. This is going to get interesting.

I'm getting the 5-lnb, H20, and 6x8 at no cost. Also 6-months Showtime, a $10 month credit for a year and I'm keeping my HR10-250 and selling the 3-lnb and old 5x8 switch.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#7 OFFLINE   linger

linger

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:06 PM

Check this out!!!!

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=48910
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR22-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#8 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:18 PM

Check this out!!!!

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=48910

Congratulations. I seriously considered taking a stab at it myself. But, I'm getting the dish, H20, and 6x8 for free and no install fee. I can wait a couple of weeks. I have locals w/ Cox. It kinda came with the internet access.
How's the picture?

AT9 to SWM16

#9 OFFLINE   linger

linger

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

The picture is great!!! I have Adelphia HD (which I am dropping tomorrow not that I get my locals from D* in HD) and the picture from D* is much better with no pixelation! The only thing that I don't like is when you change the channel to one of the MPEG4 channels, it takes the receiver a second or two longer than normal to actually tune the channel and and display a picture.
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR22-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#10 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

Could you go into your installation screen and do a test

http://www.dbstalk.c...47&postcount=14

This is what I am getting when I do a test. I probably should have tried to do the instllation myself vs leaving the installer do it. Anyhow, I just want to see if the satellite I am not getting is even need it. I can see all my channels including Local HD just fine.

Thanks,

Victor
-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

#11 OFFLINE   linger

linger

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:55 PM

I have almost the exact same, but I do not have sat 72.5 or 95. What do those sats get you???

101 ok
119 ok
110 ok
99 (network 10) failed
99 (network 11) failed
103 (network 14) ok
103 (network 15) failed
turner ok
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR22-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#12 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:59 PM

I am sure those 2 aren't needed at all. For some reason the installer chose the 2 satellites when he was going through the installation process. It seems that if you don't pick either one of those 2, then you have to choose a multi-switch... In my case he didn't use one because my installation didn't really require one. What did you choose on the multi-switch screen.

Victor
-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

#13 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:58 AM

Alrighty..... I have a 2nd schedule appointment for the 15th between 8-12. 1-h20, 1-5-LNB, 1- 6x8 multiswitch at no cost I keep existing equipment. We shall see.

AT9 to SWM16

#14 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:19 AM

Alrighty..... I have a 2nd schedule appointment for the 15th between 8-12. 1-h20, 1-5-LNB, 1- 6x8 multiswitch at no cost I keep existing equipment. We shall see.

Just spent the best part of an hour on the phone with D* again about upgrade.Installation support was unable to get to the screen to allow them to place order for H20 and 5 LNB. Transferred to Technical support who was able to place order but couldn't change the preassigned installation date of 12/15 that appeared . After multiple holds and conferring with his supervisor I was told that they were experiencing some computer snags because of updates that were going on in the system. They have my preferred dates and are supposed to call me to confirm when they get it changed. I also have direct line to tier 2 tech support to contact to check if we don't cross paths in the next couple of hours.
I guess that this is progress. We'll see.

Is it just me or should D* maybe schedule updates to occur during less busy time periods ???

#15 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:23 AM

Just spent the best part of an hour on the phone with D* again about upgrade.Installation support was unable to get to the screen to allow them to place order for H20 and 5 LNB. Transferred to Technical support who was able to place order but couldn't change the preassigned installation date of 12/15 that appeared . After multiple holds and conferring with his supervisor I was told that they were experiencing some computer snags because of updates that were going on in the system. They have my preferred dates and are supposed to call me to confirm when they get it changed. I also have direct line to tier 2 tech support to contact to check if we don't cross paths in the next couple of hours.
I guess that this is progress. We'll see.

Is it just me or should D* maybe schedule updates to occur during less busy time periods ???

That beast is so big, there probably isn't a "less busy time". It looks like we're scheduled for the same day. What's that # by the way?

AT9 to SWM16

#16 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:25 AM

FYI

http://www.satellite...65&postcount=10

I guess the installer did do a good job after all :) I am getting a 86 signal on my H20 which seems to be pretty good if you compare it to what other people are getting.
-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

#17 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:52 AM

That beast is so big, there probably isn't a "less busy time". It looks like we're scheduled for the same day. What's that # by the way?

Tier 2 Tech Support - 800-695-9251.

Just called to check on my upgrade date change and they were no help, transferred me to Installation support. They were unable to find any of my info thru order #,phone # or account #, asked to speak to a supervisor. Super explained that order was "frozen" 24-48 before they could access it to request change of date. I submitted my preference of 12/17 a.m. appt. and they will attempt that for me when order is "unfrozen" and will call to confirm or try another date/time. Another 20 minutes of phone time wasted.

#18 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:28 PM

Tier 2 Tech Support - 800-695-9251.

Just called to check on my upgrade date change and they were no help, transferred me to Installation support. They were unable to find any of my info thru order #,phone # or account #, asked to speak to a supervisor. Super explained that order was "frozen" 24-48 before they could access it to request change of date. I submitted my preference of 12/17 a.m. appt. and they will attempt that for me when order is "unfrozen" and will call to confirm or try another date/time. Another 20 minutes of phone time wasted.

Yeah. It's a painful process. But we should now this for any new technology rollout. When you live on the edge, these pain in the arse isues occur. ;) I'm not trying to belittle or anything, that's just what i tell myself so I don't get to worked up over it. I don't have that number. When I get home I'll post a couple of numbers that I have had success with. I actually have the "installation/Scheduling" direct 800#

BTW i called this a.m. at 7:15 to try and get in early. The 15th a.m was as soon as it was happening.

AT9 to SWM16

#19 OFFLINE   MeadMkr

MeadMkr

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:02 PM

All this work for only 4 of the local chnanels are listed for HD ( 4,5,7,9) - why not UPN and WB? Even though reception is spotty I can at least get 7 & 9 OTA and really don't care about the others yet...

Is all the hassel for 4 more HD really worth the upgrade ?

#20 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:37 AM

All this work for only 4 of the local chnanels are listed for HD ( 4,5,7,9) - why not UPN and WB? Even though reception is spotty I can at least get 7 & 9 OTA and really don't care about the others yet...

Is all the hassel for 4 more HD really worth the upgrade ?

I also get local OTA but have issues with the woods between me and the broadcast stations. Everything ok until wind causes major swaying of the trees or they leaf out in the spring. Besides which there are reported to be about 150 HD channels on the way in 2006. If it's available YES I want it to maximize my investment in HD. As I previously stated the learning curve is high right now but should improve down the road. Be persistent.

spam firewall