Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MPEG4 in D.C. area

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
101 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:54 AM

Tier 2 Tech Support - 800-695-9251.

The number given to me for scheduling, confirmation and such is

888-355-7530

Until this a.m. they answered within like 2 minutes. Of course now the hold times are longer.

10 minutes later: Hung the phone to confirm my install for the 15th. I wanted to make sure it got into the system before the "upgrade" that caused alot of problems yesterday. And the saga continues......
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   linger

linger

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:59 PM

As far as I know the D* had it's first problems with DC HD locals. Today at about 4pm, WTTG Fox from DC had a technical difficulties message on the screen. The SD version of the channel was still coming through fine. I checked Adelphia real quick, and WTTG HD was still working fine, so it was an isolated D* problem.
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR22-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#23 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:18 PM

Hi, i read your post about your install and would appreciate some info. I have also had soe really bad experiences with DTV installers. when I first got my DTV installed I had to go thru eight seperate installers, no joke. Each one would come and leave with a different excuse. I later found out that they just didn't want to do the job becdaue of all the wiring involved. I can't imagine how much biz DTV loses because of these guys.

My question is who was it that you had do your upgarde, the name of the company. I also live in the DC metro area and may soon upgrade but I don't want to deal with the idiot installers. I don't even know if you can request a specific company but I would like to try. Everytime I see a DTV cmmercial with a van with the DTV logo driving up and a smiling tech with a DTV uniform on I laugh. I wish that was true. thanks for the ifno.

#24 OFFLINE   WMSDSS

WMSDSS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:56 PM

Just called for by install set for 12/22/05. After being transfered to a supv., Waived the install/ equipment H20, credited $199.00 to my account. now i pay $49.00 one time., They will not get my existing equipment. Hope everything goes well they will only have to install the dish and give new receiver I already have 4 x 8 multiswitch

#25 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:18 AM

Just called for by install set for 12/22/05. After being transfered to a supv., Waived the install/ equipment H20, credited $199.00 to my account. now i pay $49.00 one time., They will not get my existing equipment. Hope everything goes well they will only have to install the dish and give new receiver I already have 4 x 8 multiswitch

Check that 4x8 switch and make sure it meets the new specs for the satellites. Someone can confirm for sure, but the new switch needs to have a range of 250MHz to 2150MHz to pick up all 5 sats. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't want to mislead anyone.

AT9 to SWM16

#26 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:53 AM

A new 6x8 multiswitch is required. Make sure the installer knows to bring it to replaces the 4x8.

#27 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:27 AM

My install is fir this thursday A.M. The multi-switch has actually been my biggest concern. I've called the contractors once and I will be calling again Tuesday to confirm they are bring it. The switch is item that can be easily overlooked. Without, the upgrade is almost useless.

AT9 to SWM16

#28 OFFLINE   WMSDSS

WMSDSS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:17 AM

Correction. I have a 5x8 multi switch. The Dish comes with one built in?

#29 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:44 AM

Tier 2 Tech Support - 800-695-9251.

Just called to check on my upgrade date change and they were no help, transferred me to Installation support. They were unable to find any of my info thru order #,phone # or account #, asked to speak to a supervisor. Super explained that order was "frozen" 24-48 before they could access it to request change of date. I submitted my preference of 12/17 a.m. appt. and they will attempt that for me when order is "unfrozen" and will call to confirm or try another date/time. Another 20 minutes of phone time wasted.

Newest developments for my upgrade.

Contacted D* installation support on 12/11 after not hearing back from anyone. Asked to confirm my upgrade status and date for this to happen.

Suprise !!! There was no date assigned , but they did have all they other info about equipment and no charges. I am now scheduled for 1/7/06 at my request.

Called D* today to confirm all info again based on past experiences. Still scheduled for 1/7. Confirmed that MASTEC - Advanced Technologies 1-877-889-7880 will do the upgrade. Contact MASTEC to confirm and inform them to note on ticket that I currently have a pole mount and to make sure tech has materials in case there is a issue with line of sight for new dish/satellites. They noted and gave me # to dispatch to confirm (540-545-8815). Dispatch had all info noted on the job #.

This is getting stranger all the time in dealing with D*. Hopefully all I have to worry about is the weather on that date. Stay tuned.

"If it weren't for bad luck I"d have no luck at all."

#30 OFFLINE   greywolf

greywolf

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:56 AM

Correction. I have a 5x8 multi switch. The Dish comes with one built in?

The AT9 has a built in 4 output multiswitch as does the Phase III. Your 5x8 will need to be replaced by the Zinwell WB68 6x8. If you are using the 5x8 to diplex an antenna into the mix, you won't be able to do that any more.

#31 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:11 PM

redskin9,

The same company is coming to my house on the 15th. I'll let you know how it goes. My pole mount (gound) is ready to, got all the cabling in place. Just waiting for the equipment. I'd take a stab at doing myself like I have the past 10 years. However, next to time pent, this is a free upgrade for me. $0.00.

AT9 to SWM16

#32 OFFLINE   rrbhokies

rrbhokies

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:02 PM

I'm scheduled for the 19th. Quick question about all these posts about multi-switches, etc.

My current setup has 4 lines coming into the basement from the Dish. I assume there is something attached to the dish that distributes the signal into 4 lines.

In my basement, the 4 lines arrive at what I believe is a multiswitch. It takes the 4 lines coming from the satellite and splits them into 8 lines. There is an AC adapter plugged into it, so it's powered in some way.

I send 6 of the lines to 3 existing TIVO DVRs. That leaves me with 2 available lines, of which I have run one to my new H20 that I purchased last week. Everything so far is going well.

My question is what will need to change? When you all talk about the Zinwell WB68 6x8, what does this replace? The thing attached to my satellite outside, or my multiswitch in my basement?

I need to be sure that I know what they need to replace and if it's going to ultimately impact my 8 feeds going through my house.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

#33 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:08 PM

I'm scheduled for the 19th. Quick question about all these posts about multi-switches, etc.

My current setup has 4 lines coming into the basement from the Dish. I assume there is something attached to the dish that distributes the signal into 4 lines.

In my basement, the 4 lines arrive at what I believe is a multiswitch. It takes the 4 lines coming from the satellite and splits them into 8 lines. There is an AC adapter plugged into it, so it's powered in some way.

I send 6 of the lines to 3 existing TIVO DVRs. That leaves me with 2 available lines, of which I have run one to my new H20 that I purchased last week. Everything so far is going well.

My question is what will need to change? When you all talk about the Zinwell WB68 6x8, what does this replace? The thing attached to my satellite outside, or my multiswitch in my basement?

I need to be sure that I know what they need to replace and if it's going to ultimately impact my 8 feeds going through my house.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Yes, you need the Zinwell WB68 or equal to recieve HD locals from D* over the satellite. If you get the locals with an OTA, then you should not need it. The older 5x8 switches to not cover all of the signal ranges needed coming from the 5 different satellites (MPEG4). It should replace the switch in the basement.

AT9 to SWM16

#34 OFFLINE   drewnbrew

drewnbrew

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:02 PM

in DC.

long time forum browser, though this may be my first or second post!!.. anyway, contacted D* today and got a supervisor on the phone after about 30 minutes of bargaining and holding.. I figured I'd give complaining about a few things a try... ie. Superfan, being a long time customer, and the whole swap thing.. well, right off the bat she gave me 6 months of the HD package for free, tacked on a $5 dollar discount for the next 6 months on my total bill, and took away the shipping.. only drawback is she's taking my sammy 360.. oh well! Install date is Dec. 26th.. can't wait... now, to the meat of the post...

Can anyone recommend a HDMI cable to run from the H20 to a Sammy HLP-4663?
I see varying prices in the cables from $15-105 and am unsure whether to go cheap or expensive... any help or advice would be greatly appreciated..

thanks all.. i can always count on this forums members for a great answer...

#35 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:47 PM

only drawback is she's taking my sammy 360.. oh well!

You shouldn't have to give up your existing reciever. I'm not and several other existng HD customers aren't as well.

AT9 to SWM16

#36 OFFLINE   rrbhokies

rrbhokies

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:40 PM

Yes, you need the Zinwell WB68 or equal to recieve HD locals from D* over the satellite. If you get the locals with an OTA, then you should not need it. The older 5x8 switches to not cover all of the signal ranges needed coming from the 5 different satellites (MPEG4). It should replace the switch in the basement.

OK, how about this? Can I still use my existing 5x8 switch and run 3 lines from satellite and split them into 6 lines for my Directv TIVOS, and then run the 4th line from the satellite directly to my H20 receiver? Will that work?

I guess my big question is can you use the older 5x8 switches with the new Dish at all, or do you absolutely have to replace it with the Zinwell?

#37 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:49 PM

OK, how about this? Can I still use my existing 5x8 switch and run 3 lines from satellite and split them into 6 lines for my Directv TIVOS, and then run the 4th line from the satellite directly to my H20 receiver? Will that work?

I guess my big question is can you use the older 5x8 switches with the new Dish at all, or do you absolutely have to replace it with the Zinwell?

If you are very lucky, you might be able to use an existing 5x8 for a short time. All depends on if the switch works well enough in the first set of frequency ranges that D* uses.

On the other hand, when D* installs a new 5lnb dish, they bring the new switch. It uses 4 lines just like the 3lnb setup. So let them go ahead and make sure they put one in.

Cheers,
Tom

#38 OFFLINE   WMSDSS

WMSDSS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:31 AM

My neighbor got a 5LNB install today. I went over to talk to him and the installers seeing as though I have a install set for a week from now. Any way, they did monut the dish on the roof which was my concern because thats were my phaseIII is and I heard that it might be to heavy but it looks like that will be ok.

My neighbors install was a upgrade from a dual LNB. He added just the H20 and, additional standard receiver looks great all works well except the bedroom which was fine until this install. The installer could not get it to work with the 5LNB. When he reconnected it to the 2LNB he says it still did not work. My neighbor says that it was working with the 2LNB before they started the upgrade. It was snowing in the area so the installer said he would come back within the next 2 days to correct/trouble shoot the problem. I asked if he installed the 6x8 multi switch. The installer said he did not need it since it was only a 3rm install. Well I'm going to be on it if they are the ones that come for my install.
The installer commended my neighbor on his local reception and said that he would not have needed the 5LNB for the locals if he had the phaseIII dish just the H20. I brought off on this since I have the phaseIII/OTA and the HD receiver that interacts with it and rushed to BB and picked up the H20 w/$200.00 rebate and swap out one of my receivers. Needles to say I am not getting the locals, other HD content is fine through the phaseIII by it self I had to split the OTA to get it HD locals.
Questions: whats up with my neighbors standard receiver ( the H20 and another standard are fine)? and Is their any way to get locals with out the 5LNB or OTA with the H20 and just the PhaseIII?
Oh yeah if I get these installers I'll be on them.

#39 OFFLINE   WMSDSS

WMSDSS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:05 PM

Found the answer to my second question. No you can't get locals with just the phaseIII. I hooked up my OTA to my H20 and now I get HD locals and the MEPG4 local line up for my zip. Have'nt heard from neighbors dilema.

#40 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:28 AM

Alrighty..... I have a 2nd schedule appointment for the 15th between 8-12. 1-h20, 1-5-LNB, 1- 6x8 multiswitch at no cost I keep existing equipment. We shall see.

Haven't heard about your upgrade and how it went on 15th. What's the story ?

By the way, HAIL SKINS !!!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...