Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MPEG4 in D.C. area

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
101 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   WMSDSS

WMSDSS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:30 PM

Install was done today. Less than an hour and all is well. Can't stand this remote!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   rrbhokies

rrbhokies

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:29 AM

I had my install on the 19th in Stafford. Everything went really well. The only thing was that the installer talked me into mounting the new dish on a pole in the ground instead of attached to the roof. The installer said there are concerns about the weight of the new dish and being structurally sound mounted on the roof. Therefore, it cost me another $85 to have them dig a hole, mount it on a pole and cement it in. No biggie, but wondering if it really needed to be done this way.

Otherwise, the installation was great. They replaced my existing multiswitch in the basement with a Zinwell for no charge. The HD Locals look great!! When I first used the box, NBC4 was having audio problems, but that cleared up after a while, and haven't happened since. Monday Night Football on ABC was absolutely beautiful to watch in HD!!! I kept switching back and forth with the SD feed, and couldn't believe what I've been missing. The icing on the cake? Even my wife could notice the difference!!! She never notices things like that!!

I was told that the the HD Locals are included free with the Locals package. You do not need the HD Package to get the HD Locals. Therefore, once my 3 free months of the HD Package finishes, I think I'm just going to drop it. There isn't enough there to justify keeping it. Heck, even the HD ESPN channel only broadcasts half of their programming in HD.

One last thing. The installer said that because of the size and configuration of the dish, there should be less problems with dropouts due to clouds and rain. He said that this dish should be able to get through most storms. Only snow and ice would continue to be problems. Does anyone know if he was just blowing smoke, or will the new dish do a better job of keeping a signal in bad weather?

#43 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:41 AM

I had my install on the 19th in Stafford. Everything went really well. The only thing was that the installer talked me into mounting the new dish on a pole in the ground instead of attached to the roof. The installer said there are concerns about the weight of the new dish and being structurally sound mounted on the roof. Therefore, it cost me another $85 to have them dig a hole, mount it on a pole and cement it in. No biggie, but wondering if it really needed to be done this way.

One last thing. The installer said that because of the size and configuration of the dish, there should be less problems with dropouts due to clouds and rain. He said that this dish should be able to get through most storms. Only snow and ice would continue to be problems. Does anyone know if he was just blowing smoke, or will the new dish do a better job of keeping a signal in bad weather?

Ah, the successful upsell. Yeah there are lots of installers pushing the pole in the ground mount. The good news is its easier to clean snow off that way. I'm not a big fan of putting holes in my roof anyway, but I think mine will be a wall mount replacing the current 3lnb.

The installer was correct about rainfade. The new Ka frequencies are very susceptible to rainfade, so the bigger dish and very precise alignment procedure seem to do a better job overall with rain. So if he aligned the dish correctly, you should be in great shape.

Merry Christmas!
Tom

#44 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:09 PM

Good luck with MASTEC!
I will never let one of their techs near my equipment again. You better watch them closely and I hope you have a better experience with them than I did.
From my experience MASTEC is terrible.

Newest developments for my upgrade.

Contacted D* installation support on 12/11 after not hearing back from anyone. Asked to confirm my upgrade status and date for this to happen.

Suprise !!! There was no date assigned , but they did have all they other info about equipment and no charges. I am now scheduled for 1/7/06 at my request.

Called D* today to confirm all info again based on past experiences. Still scheduled for 1/7. Confirmed that MASTEC - Advanced Technologies 1-877-889-7880 will do the upgrade. Contact MASTEC to confirm and inform them to note on ticket that I currently have a pole mount and to make sure tech has materials in case there is a issue with line of sight for new dish/satellites. They noted and gave me # to dispatch to confirm (540-545-8815). Dispatch had all info noted on the job #.

This is getting stranger all the time in dealing with D*. Hopefully all I have to worry about is the weather on that date. Stay tuned.

"If it weren't for bad luck I"d have no luck at all."

56TB MSS WHS--32TB unRAID
LED DLP

#45 OFFLINE   signal34

signal34

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:16 PM

From redskin9:

Haven't heard about your upgrade and how it went on 15th. What's the story ?

HDTVsportsfan -- I am getting the new installation Jan 9 by Mastec, so I too am very eager to hear how your installation went.

From aaronwt:

From my experience MASTEC is terrible.

Could you elaborate on your problems? I would like to know what I need to watch out for. If it's anything like my last installer, they stepped through my ceiling and left without telling me. An hour later I found the gaping hole in my ceiling...:mad:

#46 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:13 AM

All this work for only 4 of the local chnanels are listed for HD ( 4,5,7,9) - why not UPN and WB? Even though reception is spotty I can at least get 7 & 9 OTA and really don't care about the others yet...

Is all the hassel for 4 more HD really worth the upgrade ?

I agree, I don't think all this pain is worth it right now. Especially if you were getting the HD locals using an OTA. I think it will be worth it once they start adding more national HD channels which I assume will be in MPEG4 so you will slowly get more channels and I guess you have gotten all the pain and frustration out of the way. Then again i don't even know how many new national HD channels they will be adding, maybe 2 or 3 in 2006, but is that even worth it, espeically if they're channels you don't even watch. This HD expansion plan is going to take several years and I think by 2007 it will definitely be worth it to upgrade. By then I'm hoping HD locals will include more then just the major 4 metworks and by then there might be 10 or 15 more naitonal HD channels. I think expanding HD locals into more markets is the primary concern so I don't think you should be in a rush right now.

#47 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 04:34 AM

MASTEC IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!!! There is no tellin how many customers DTV has lost. But it is really there fault for having such a poor installation setup using these crappy installers, my experience with MASTEC…

When I first became a DTV subscriber a few years ago, I had to go thru the pains of an installation. The first installer showed up with his pregnant wife and he looked like he was 17 years old and had no idea what he was doing. So after figuring out he didn’t know what he was doing, I asked him to leave and I’ll reschedule. The second installers that came and they didn’t seem to have any clue either. They actually took a very small bucket, filled it with a bit of cement, stuck in a large pole, and attached the dish. I had no idea they had done this until a few minutes after they left, my signal went to zero and I couldn’t believe it. I went upstairs to the roof (live in an apartment building) and the dish was on the ground and the LNB was broken. So I had to call them all pissed off and they sent out another guy who basically put on another dish and piled some brick on top of the bucket. This lastest for about a day. So I ended up hiring someone myself and getting them to do the installation. I couldn’t drill so I had to use one of those metal frames that sits on the ground wth some cinder blocks on top of it. The installation cost me 200 bucks total but it was absolutely excellent. The tech got a very strong signal that those idiots never got, rewired my apartment, and just cleaned up everything in general. He took about an hour, was very friendly, and I never had trouble again. I wish I remember the name of the company (it was something like Sky Dish or Sky Direct, I found them in the phone book) but they were excellent and I guess you get what you pay for. Anyway after a year or so I had to move and coudlnt’ take the dish with me so I gladly gave it to my brother who made good use of it. So after I moved once again, I now had line of sight and wanted to get DTV again and this is my second experience

Even though it had been awhile I was absolutely dreading this new install and I had no idea what I was in for. It took 8 separate techs to come out and it was actually a non Mastech technician who finally got it done. The first installer showed up, pulled out his compass, and said you can’t get DTV because you don’t have line of sight. This was total bs because I know I had line of sight and there were 4 or 5 apartments below and above me who all had dishes. This guy was simply was bs’ing me and he just didn’t want to do the install. He told me he wasn’t gonna do the install because it was a waste of time. After a few minutes I realized he just didn’t want to do the install so I said ok and asked him to leave. The second tech showed up, said he couldn’t mount the dish to the balcony railing because it wouldn’t work. Once again there were 4 or 5 people in other apartments who had dishes mounted to their railings, one person even had that much 3LNB dish so I knew it was possible. This guy didn’t want to do it either and just left. The third tech showed up with a few standard receivers missing one Tivo box which I was supposed to have installed. He said he would go get a Tivo box and come back….guess what he never showed up. The fourth tech came out and said he didn’t have enuf wiring and had to go pick up some more wire…never heard from him again. The fifth tech showed up and said he had no flat cables (those flat coaxial connectors used for running wire thru windows and doors) and I couldn’t believe tis because I knew this would be required after the first install and kept calling to make sure they brought them with them. He gave me some bs about having to order some more from the wholesaler and he would need 20 bucks from me for each one, I knew this was bs. He promised me he would finish his other jobs and come to the install later that day, I never heard fro him again. The sixth installer came out and said “Oh you don’t want me to drill, then I need flat cables which I don’t have.” I almost lost it. He asked me if there was a Radio Shack in the area so he could go pick some up. I told him there was one down the street, he said he would be back in a few minutes. After an hour he called me and said they checked 3 Radio Shacks in the area and they were all out of stock. Now I feel like an idiot because later on I found out that Radio Shack doesn’t even sell these cables, at least the one near me doesn’t and this tech was probably calling me on the way to his next job. The seventh installer came, had no flat cable but said he would just drill thru the wall. I live in an apartment building where you can’t drill into the walls, he somehow convinced to just put a few small holes. But once I saw him bust out the drill I said forget and why the f..k didn’t you bring flat cables when this was the problem on my previous installs. It got very heated and I actually thought I was about to brawl with a tech righ in my home. He just wanted to walk out and at this point I was so freaking mad that I asked him to get his supervisor on the line so I could get him to send out another tech with the necessary cables. At first he refused, then he pretended to call and said the line was busy. I know this was just bs and I told him to wait while I called his office. He started to leave and I just shut my door and wouldn’t let him. I know this is pretty crazy but I was just so mad and fed up with all the abuse. Remember I haven’t even mentioned that I was sitting around for hours during each of these installs and most times they would arrive half an hour or more after the install window. Anyway, this guy kept trying to leave and we sort of got into before my brother came out and broke it up. My brother asked the tech to leave, and he gladly ran out the door. I was so f’ing mad at this point I picked up the phone to try and call the office. My brother took the phone from me and as I was yelling in the background he talked to a supervisor and explained the situation. The supervisor actally wanted to talk to me to apologize but my brother said he didn’t think that was a good idea. I told my brote to just hang up and I was going to cable. My bro somehow convinced me to give it one more try. The next day an installer came out and did the installatin flawlessly in about an hour. He wasn’t even a local tech, he had driven up from Atlanta to help do installs because there was a lack of techs or something. I explained my experience with previous installers and he said he wasn’t surprised and had heard very similar stories from other customers he had done installs for. He literally install after install where people were given just bogus explanations. But he also mentioned that a lot of the techs are just incompetent and shouldn’t be doing installs. He mentioned that some of the techs he talked to didn’t even have basic wiring experience and shouldn’t be allowed to sit there drilling holes into people’s houses. He told me that the whole bs about flat cables was just an excuse not to do the install. Later when he went back to his van to pick up some tools he took me along and showed me how he had a box full of flat cables, a bunch of standard and Tivo receivers and lots of wiring and multiswitches. He the truth is that all the previous techs just didn’t want to do the install because of the wiring involved. It made sense since it was a 4 room installation, and it would take quite a bit of wiring. But I live in an apartment where the rooms are very close together and the wiring ins’t really that bad. Especially compared to home installations where I imagine the wiring job is much more extensive. Nonetheless he explained that 4 rooms is a lot and these guys are just plain lazy. I was so happy with this tech that I actually took his number because I wanted to call DTV and give some good feedback plus I wanted him to do future upgrades. Unfortunately, he was going back to Atlanta in a few weeks and really wouldn’t be around.

I know this has been a very long post but I wanted to include all the details and mention my whole experience. I really cannot believe how bad some of these installers are. I mean how can they have so many bad installers who just jerk people around like this. From Directv’s standpoint, I don’t understand why they have such a poor installation system in place. I mean since I love DTV I was very patient and went thru hell, but how many customers have they lost becaue of this. Consider how much tie people waste dealing with this. I really wonder if DTV has any idea how bad this problem is. I keep hearing them talking about 15 million subscribers and hw they plan to grow, I mean maybe they would have 20 million by now if they didn’t have such a lousy installation system. I just don’t get it. If I’m not mistaken they basically assign one or two installation companies to do installations for a specific geographic area, isn’t this correct. When I would call DTV to ask for a different company, they said this was the only compay that did installs in my area and they could only send out another tech from the same company. I only learned this after the third or fourth call because before that the DTV CSR’s said ok will assign a different company when they were just sending out installers from the same place. I heard the CEO or CFO of DTV speaking at I believe the Merril Lynch conference and he mentioned that they are going to improve the installation experience for customers from start to finish, I mean does this guy even have a clue? Instead of just adding more subscribers how about improving the whole installation structure and process. I mean this whole thing needs to be overhauled.

Finally, let me say that this post is being writeen after reading several horror stories from others and I felt I must share my experience. You can tell I am still very angry and bitter about the whole process. My DTV contract is about to expire and I am seriously considering going to Comcast just so that I don’t have to go thru all this again as I move to HD. And trust me I don’t have much love for the either. Wow, do you think I might have some anger problems, “Hulk Mad, must smash things!!!

If you have read to this point, thanks and go smash something.

#48 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 06:16 AM

Mastec spent 40 hours at my condo trying to get the 119 satellite. They finally told me I was at the one location in the US that received a signal from the 110 and 119 at the same spot so the signals would override each other(they said something similar to this, I can't remember exactly since it was so stupid). I finally got to the point where I did it myself. The problem was a building was in the way. A 3 story building only 50 feet away. I mentioned it to them before but they wouldn't listen. I figured they knew what they were doing. I moved the dish 2 to 3 feet and solved my problem.
If they would have just had a dish on a pole that you could move around they could have easily figured out definitively where you can get a signal. I bought a round dish for $20 and did this myself. In just a couple of minutes I was able to get a signal from all 3 locations(I still had to dig up the concrete and put new concrete in the new hole). They spent almost 40 hours and couldn't achieve that, and that was with 2 supervisors spending time trying to figure it out. It still makes my blood boil when I think about all the time I wasted on the phone and being home for them to impersonate Laurel and Hardy. And it has been almost 4 years since the debacle.
That's why I will think about leaving DirecTv if they make me get a visit from MAstec again. If they don't give me a choice I will seriously think about leaving. I saw the install videos for the new dish. it is very involved. I really think it would be impossible for a Mastec employee to perform the install. The techs that came out to my place never even had a signal meter. Not that it stopped me from getting proper signal in a few minutes, but the MAstec people certainly couldn't after 40 hours of trying and because a 3 story building is in the way? I can't believe they are even still in business.
LED DLP

#49 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:53 AM

Haven't heard about your upgrade and how it went on 15th. What's the story ?

By the way, HAIL SKINS !!!!

Hey redskin9,

The day of my install was the day it was raining, sleeting, snowing, raining, back and forth etc.... The installer was a couple hours late. I also have a very small "line of site window". I'm trying something a little different for my pole mounted installation that screwed me up. Once he arrived we decided to re-scedule for 1/11/05. Then i got a phone call Thursday saying they had an opening for today (12-31) between 1-5. I'll post some pictures when it's done. My partner (business) was on vacation for the last 2.5 weeks as well. So i was pretty much short on time while he was gone, and of course the holidays.

Basiclly I'm trying to get this this thing mounted on what amounts to a telescoping pole. I have one pipe (2.5" diameter)in the ground about 3 feet with a 2" post slipped inside. The idea is to be able to raise or lower the the dish as needed. I have a tree across the street that I know is going to give me problem in a couple of years. It sounds cheesy, but it should be quite stable. The pipes are "schedule 80". I don't know what that means to anyone else. But, these pipes are very thick. They're fire sprinkler pipe I got from a local machine shop. I have regular 2" conduit and concrete on hand if I can't make this giration work for a "normal " install. I'll post pics when it's done. I really don't want to put the new dish on the roof or the side of the house.

Yea, my boy got there butts kicked without a doubt. It's going to be an interesting final weekend of football. Hopefully Lavar screwed you guys up. LOL........
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#50 OFFLINE   Coastsider

Coastsider

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:26 AM

They finally told me I was at the one location in the US that received a signal from the 110 and 119 at the same spot so the signals would override each other

I'm speechless.

Maybe they were thinking of the Bermuda Triangle. Or that crossing proton streams thing from Ghostbusters.

A stunning bit of deductive logic indeed.

#51 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

mya23rd,

WOW.... I feel for ya. You should call customer retention and give them the low down. Between this and other forums I've read there are alot of people that seem to call and and bitch about small things until they get something for free. But you certainly have legitimate complaints. DTV will probably offer some free programming and credits on your account if it helps ease the pain.

I've been w/ DTV for 10 years. Granted the customer service piece can be frustrating, FWIW, they're friendly and all of my experiences have been O.K. A little frustrating, but again no complaints.

When I scheduled my install they said it was MASTEC as well. From what I can tell they then sub cointracted with a company from Winchester VA. called Advanced Technologies. My install has not occurred yet (1-12-06). I have spoke with them a number of times to make sure they bring the new 6x8 switch I need.

I don't need any cable run and my pole is already in the ground. It should be straight forward. We shall see. I've installed all cable and several dishes between the two homes I have lived in. I'm only allowing DTV to do it because I'm getting it done for "free". If it wasn't for free I assure you I would have bought the equipment and done it myself. Yea, it's a little more involved but that's what makes it fun.

Good luck.

AT9 to SWM16

#52 OFFLINE   WMSDSS

WMSDSS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:13 PM

Advanced Tech did my phaseIII install couple years back from Winchester Va., they were good. You should not have any problems. I thought they were going to do my 5lnb install 12/22/05 but the other installer (1) SATUSA was just fine. I changed out the multiswitch that he brought 6x8 zinwell. He did mention that most techs were afraid of this install. Less than an hour on my roof.

#53 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:08 PM

Mastec spent 40 hours at my condo trying to get the 119 satellite. They finally told me I was at the one location in the US that received a signal from the 110 and 119 at the same spot so the signals would override each other(they said something similar to this, I can't remember exactly since it was so stupid). I finally got to the point where I did it myself. The problem was a building was in the way. A 3 story building only 50 feet away. I mentioned it to them before but they wouldn't listen. I figured they knew what they were doing. I moved the dish 2 to 3 feet and solved my problem.
If they would have just had a dish on a pole that you could move around they could have easily figured out definitively where you can get a signal. I bought a round dish for $20 and did this myself. In just a couple of minutes I was able to get a signal from all 3 locations(I still had to dig up the concrete and put new concrete in the new hole). They spent almost 40 hours and couldn't achieve that, and that was with 2 supervisors spending time trying to figure it out. It still makes my blood boil when I think about all the time I wasted on the phone and being home for them to impersonate Laurel and Hardy. And it has been almost 4 years since the debacle.
That's why I will think about leaving DirecTv if they make me get a visit from MAstec again. If they don't give me a choice I will seriously think about leaving. I saw the install videos for the new dish. it is very involved. I really think it would be impossible for a Mastec employee to perform the install. The techs that came out to my place never even had a signal meter. Not that it stopped me from getting proper signal in a few minutes, but the MAstec people certainly couldn't after 40 hours of trying and because a 3 story building is in the way? I can't believe they are even still in business.

Isn’t it absolutely astonishing how bad their installers are. I can’t believe they just didn’t move the dish a few feet, I mean that is just basic stuff. They will basically hire anyone to do installs and I don’t think they even have a screening process. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the person finally got my dish working was a non Mastec guy, there people couldn’t even do it. This tech was great and I couldn’t understand why they didn’t hire more guys like him. In my presence he actually called the office and spoke to a supervisor. I overheard him saying “How can you run your business like this, and treat your customers like this?” He went on sort of lecturing the supervisor on his poor level of service. After that we got to talking and he mentioned that its really DTV’s fault, which I absolutely agree with. He entioned how there was very little competition for installers and these people are assigned for this area. They don’t care if customers are happy or not, they still get paid. He said that DTV makes it almost impossible for good new and much better installers to start doing installs. He mentioned that they have all these ridiculous requirements that make it very difficult.

Honestly, at first I was thinking about giving them just one shot, just one shot to get it right and if they gave me any trouble I would close my account. But now I don’t think I want to do that because it is almost certain that they will mess it up and it will just be a big headache. I mean I have seen what is required for the new dish and there is no way their installers can do it. They can hardly install the normal dish. I mean I have no love for Comcast, but there are very few issues with installation. Granted it is much easier to just run wire inside a a home and plug in some boxes, but their techs and overall installation process is far better. I can call Comcast today and have them come cnnect it the next day.

I don’t know if DTV will guarantee another company for the installation. I wouldn’t be surprised if they gave you some bs and said they assign a different company when in fact you would just be getting the same people. This whole thin is so frustrating.

#54 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:03 AM

I've had issues with Comcast installers also. Not as bad as Mastec but still bad enough that I don't want them touching my wiring anymore. The last time they did I had to reterminate all the connections the Comcast tech messed with to get my signal back to what it should be. And I've talked to several people that had Comcast hook them up for HD only to find out later that the Comcast tech only hooked up a composite cable or hooked up component when they should have used HDMI or only sent 480P instead of 720P or 1080i. I think it's a crap shoot, but again I've never seen anything as bad as Mastec. It's been 4 years and I still get extremely pissed when I think about it.
LED DLP

#55 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:32 AM

I've had issues with Comcast installers also. Not as bad as Mastec but still bad enough that I don't want them touching my wiring anymore. The last time they did I had to reterminate all the connections the Comcast tech messed with to get my signal back to what it should be. And I've talked to several people that had Comcast hook them up for HD only to find out later that the Comcast tech only hooked up a composite cable or hooked up component when they should have used HDMI or only sent 480P instead of 720P or 1080i. I think it's a crap shoot, but again I've never seen anything as bad as Mastec. It's been 4 years and I still get extremely pissed when I think about it.

Yeah the Comcast techs are not that great either. I have dealt with them quite a bit as well and they are pretty incompetent. But they are no where near as bad as Mastec. Comcast techs usually show up within the window which is not the case for Mastec techs. The Comcast techs are very local whereas the Sat techs can be very far away. The Comcast techs hardly ever do the job right especially when it comes to wiring. You have to really watch them when they are wiring because they will take shortcuts and do a pretty crappy wiring job. The most frustrating thing with Comcast techs is how likely they are to not try to improve on poor picture quality. I remember when I first got Comcast how many times it took me to get a tech out to my home who would really try to improve picture quality. Some of my channels looked so bad they were just unwatchable and they would say something like “Oh no one gets good PQ on this channel or there’s nothing you can do about it” When I would press them they would just unscrew and screw in the coaxial or make sure the connections to the splitter are tight. As if I couldn’t do that. It finally took a non Comcast tech to come out, reduce the number of splitters, put in better ones, redo some of the wiring and my pq improved by about 30 or 40 percent. It wasn’t perfect but it was dramatically better and it took a non Comcast tech to get it all fixed.

Comcast really needs to do something about this issue, poor picture quality. I mean come on if they are gonna charge as much as they do then get it right. Isn’t clear pq supposed to be an advantage over an OTA. I really thought that poor pq was just around my area but apparently many customers of different cable companys have this issue. I understand that may of the cables are moving to all digital but it’s fairly limited and only available in some markets. Poor PQ is probably the main reason I am staying away from cable. Right now I have DirecTV and love the service and love my Tivo and I never thought I would give it up. But as I am trying to move to HD, DTV is just asking for too much to upgrade and cable’s no up front cost is very attractie right now. I would give up my DTV, Tivo, and all that if I could just get a decent picture on cable.

#56 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:17 AM

Once he arrived we decided to re-scedule for 1/11/05. Then i got a phone call Thursday saying they had an opening for today (12-31) between 1-5.

Yea, my boy got there butts kicked without a doubt. It's going to be an interesting final weekend of football. Hopefully Lavar screwed you guys up. LOL........

Hope that they showed up as planned. From reading other posts I'm getting concerned about my scheduled upgrade on 1/7. Maybe I was just lucky the first time when I had my system installed and got a very competent tech.I've got a friend who was scheduled for his upgrade on 1/2. He called the week before to make sure everything was still go and found out that his date had been cancelled on 12/28.When he pressed them it was explained as "a computer glitch". They rescheduled him for 1/3 between 8 to 12 which he may or may not be there due to a bussiness obligation which will keep him from getting home before 9:30 am but he is taking the chance they will slide him to the later end(talked to the tech directly).

As far as your mounting method with the extended pole I think that you will have trouble with swaying under wind load unless it is guide wired to prevent this.There are issues with a standard pole mount if it is not set securely. Also raising or lowering will affect the precise alignment required.Good luck and keep all of us informed.

HAIL SKINS !!!! Off to the playoffs for the 1st time since 1999 !!!!

#57 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:34 PM

Hope that they showed up as planned. From reading other posts I'm getting concerned about my scheduled upgrade on 1/7. Maybe I was just lucky the first time when I had my system installed and got a very competent tech.I've got a friend who was scheduled for his upgrade on 1/2. He called the week before to make sure everything was still go and found out that his date had been cancelled on 12/28.When he pressed them it was explained as "a computer glitch". They rescheduled him for 1/3 between 8 to 12 which he may or may not be there due to a bussiness obligation which will keep him from getting home before 9:30 am but he is taking the chance they will slide him to the later end(talked to the tech directly).

As far as your mounting method with the extended pole I think that you will have trouble with swaying under wind load unless it is guide wired to prevent this.There are issues with a standard pole mount if it is not set securely. Also raising or lowering will affect the precise alignment required.Good luck and keep all of us informed.

HAIL SKINS !!!! Off to the playoffs for the 1st time since 1999 !!!!

They didn't show up. I called aroung 9:00 Sat A.M. to check and was told the truck didn't show up w/ the dishes (Fri. the 30th). So my appointment was for the 11th, they call w/ a cancellation and schedule me for the 31st. Now I get bumped back to the 13th as the next available date. When i had them on the phone and of course (politley) said I'm getting screwed out 2 days. I called Monday and they said the truck did show up in the A.M. but no earlier open dates. I started on the 11th, within 1 day, I lost 2. They said he would really "try to squeeze me in sooner." If this wasn't so comical, I'd probably be pissed.

If you folks are wondering why I'm not bursting a vain over this it's because I already have a 3-lnb and an hr10-250 w/HD package and I get local HD w/ Cox cable. It was cheaper to get basic cable and internet than just the internet. Also, my upgrade is free.

My telescoping pole idea. Yea, it sounds stupid, but this pipe I'm using is not your standard flimsy(spelling?)conduit type pipe. It's much thicker than that(it's fire sprinkler pipe). I'll post pictures. It's a pretty tight fit. You know how you have an idea and you just don't know if it's going to work unitl you try it out. Well, this is it. If i need any type of wire rigging, it won't work and I won't do it. Also picture your standard house, now put a 15x8 front porch on it. The location is tucked close to the corner where the porch meets the house. It should be well protected Again, I'll post pictures this week. I am prepared though. I have a bag of concrete and your standard 2" pipe lying right there and waiting if it doesn't work out. It should. I only need the dish mounted, pointed, and the H20 activated, no cabling. I just wanted the damn thing mounted. I couldn't convince the 1st guy that came out to leave the base of the dish behind so I could mess with it.

I'd buy the dish myself, but I refuse to do that after just installing the 3-LNB, hr10-250 and 5x8 switch myself this past 02/05.

AT9 to SWM16

#58 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:56 PM

Forgot to mention in an earlier post. I'm only looking to raise this maybe 2-3 feet over the next few years. I'm just trying to give myself a little bit of wiggle room as my neighbors trees accross the street grow (thery gave me a liitle bit of heartbutrn this past spring-leaves). When it's at it's hightest point it's only about six feet high. I'm hoping to start out at about 4 feet. My wife has been very good over the years about "playing with all these toys" as she calls it. So I'm hoping to have the dish sit behind some bushes about four feet high. Real discrete. And over the next several years slowly raise as needed without t being terribly noticed. Outside of that, up on the roof it goes. I just really don't want to do that. Not to sound special or anything like that, but I installed the 3-LNB with relatively no problems, as far as pointing and locking in a strong signal. Again, neigbors trees gave me more problems than the dish itself. I know the 5-LNB is more involved of course. I'll mark the scratch reference points before I raise it. Pushcomes to shove, I'll just spend the 120.00 on the signal meter and be done with it.:D Beside, it's not rocket science. Well, maybe getting the satellite up is.:)

Like I said in the earlier post. This willeither work right out of the gate or it won't. I've already got second hole ready with a bag a concrete and standard 2' pipe on standby.

Here are a few pics. I'll take better, clearer, higher res pictures this weekend. I wasn't sure what the size limitation was for the site.

P.S. Please be gentle with any of you responses. :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00088.JPG
  • DSC00089.JPG
  • DSC00093.JPG

AT9 to SWM16

#59 OFFLINE   signal34

signal34

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:04 PM

Well, tomorrow's my D-Day with Mastec. Hopefully everything will go well. I called TWICE to make sure they had everything in stock and ready to install (ie 5 lnb dish and 6x8 multiswitch). They assured me everything was a go.

I'll post my install experience with them and some photos as soon as I can. Hopefully mine won't be a horror story like some of the other Mastec installs. My shotgun and rocking chair are polished just in case, though! :D

#60 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, I go my installed moved up a whole four days. From the 13th to the 9th.:P

AT9 to SWM16

Protected By... spam firewall...And...