Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MPEG4 in D.C. area

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
101 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   MeadMkr

MeadMkr

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:39 AM

After trying for the last few weeks to tweak my attic-based antenna with mediocre results I decided to take the plunge on the MPEG4 upgrade. The appointment is scheduled for 2 weeks out (first available appt). I also decided to take them up on the OTA antenna offer so for $188 I'll be getting the new dish,
H20 and OTA antenna including installation. Considering what some of the local companies wanted just for the installation of the OTA ant. its a pretty good deal.
I'm just hoping the weather holds until the install and that things go smoothly. It gives me a 1 week buffer before the big game.

BTW, has anybody heard of D* will be making any arrangements to offer the SuperBowl for HD subscribers without local HD ?

#82 OFFLINE   dewalt

dewalt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:50 AM

I need to tell some other DTV users out there about this...basically, be careful of NoVA installs...

I ordered the H20 a few weeks ago, and asked that they bring a 40ft ladder to get on the roof of my townhouse to install the new dish. When the guy came, on a Saturday, he was an hour outside the time window. He also FORGOT the ladder. He told me the guy who has it did not reply to his calls. I mean, why even come without the ladder?! I had to practically beg him to give me the H20 anyways. When setting up the H20, he was choosing the output formats. I told him to also select 720p, but he insisted that 1080i is the best cuz of number of lines. I was like, whatever I'm going to add it later. Then I asked him if he knew about the HR20 - he definitely did not. He had no idea (this was at least a week after the press release). When he was leaving, he said he would schedule when he could come back and then give me a call - he definitley did not do that. I had to proactively do it.

So the same installer comes a week later with the ladder. In the meantime, he was bitching to himself that he has to go up there himself (like he already didnt know that). He replaces the triple LNB dish with the new one. Now, I had 4 cables running from it going to a 4x8 multiswitch. He drops one of the wires when replacing the dish. Instead of asking for my help to see if we coudl bring this wire up (could have been very easy - attach another one to it and pull it back up), he brings a dual cable where the ends on the unused are cut off. He replaces it and leaves a coil of wire on the side of the house. I told him my HOA will scream if they see that...so I had him fix it.

Then, while watching TV, I noticed some of my channels were not coming up. I tell him, and he proceeds to fix it. After he "fixed" it, we go back to the questionable channels, and I notice that they're back - so I was satisfied. When he left, I noticed other channels missing now. I go back to my balcony (where he attached his dual cable) and I saw a friekin' SPLITTER!!!!!! A cheap Radio Shack splitter!! He was also gone at this point, but I was fuming. I took it out and rearranged the wires, and I still couldnt get some of the channels. I took my binoculars and looked at the dish, and I noticed ANOTHER SPLITTER!

All he had to do was replace the dish.

I dont even care that DTV is throwing free sh!t at me - I WANT MY TV TO WORK. You cant give me free Starz if I dont get the channels. When you go to the signal meter, and it shows you the full grid of transponders for the 101 satellite, you notice all the evens are good, but the odds come at 0.

I now have them coming back on Thursday morning.

#83 OFFLINE   hamltnh

hamltnh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:47 PM

I need to tell some other DTV users out there about this...basically, be careful of NoVA installs...

I ordered the H20 a few weeks ago, and asked that they bring a 40ft ladder to get on the roof of my townhouse to install the new dish. When the guy came, on a Saturday, he was an hour outside the time window. He also FORGOT the ladder. He told me the guy who has it did not reply to his calls. I mean, why even come without the ladder?! I had to practically beg him to give me the H20 anyways. When setting up the H20, he was choosing the output formats. I told him to also select 720p, but he insisted that 1080i is the best cuz of number of lines. I was like, whatever I'm going to add it later. Then I asked him if he knew about the HR20 - he definitely did not. He had no idea (this was at least a week after the press release). When he was leaving, he said he would schedule when he could come back and then give me a call - he definitley did not do that. I had to proactively do it.

So the same installer comes a week later with the ladder. In the meantime, he was bitching to himself that he has to go up there himself (like he already didnt know that). He replaces the triple LNB dish with the new one. Now, I had 4 cables running from it going to a 4x8 multiswitch. He drops one of the wires when replacing the dish. Instead of asking for my help to see if we coudl bring this wire up (could have been very easy - attach another one to it and pull it back up), he brings a dual cable where the ends on the unused are cut off. He replaces it and leaves a coil of wire on the side of the house. I told him my HOA will scream if they see that...so I had him fix it.

Then, while watching TV, I noticed some of my channels were not coming up. I tell him, and he proceeds to fix it. After he "fixed" it, we go back to the questionable channels, and I notice that they're back - so I was satisfied. When he left, I noticed other channels missing now. I go back to my balcony (where he attached his dual cable) and I saw a friekin' SPLITTER!!!!!! A cheap Radio Shack splitter!! He was also gone at this point, but I was fuming. I took it out and rearranged the wires, and I still couldnt get some of the channels. I took my binoculars and looked at the dish, and I noticed ANOTHER SPLITTER!

All he had to do was replace the dish.

I dont even care that DTV is throwing free sh!t at me - I WANT MY TV TO WORK. You cant give me free Starz if I dont get the channels. When you go to the signal meter, and it shows you the full grid of transponders for the 101 satellite, you notice all the evens are good, but the odds come at 0.

I now have them coming back on Thursday morning.

You have to watch the techs. very carefully--I ended up doing quite a bit of work myself to get the installation exactly the way I wanted it including buying a meter and doing the precision alignment myself. You should demand a great deal in terms of programming credits. The only thing DirecTV and the installation companies understand is $'s, so call customer retention, explain in detail the techs. shoddy work/problems and get some $'s back.

#84 OFFLINE   dewalt

dewalt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:37 PM

I've gotten quite a bit already (free 3mo HD, free showtime/starz 6 mo). At this point, I just want it resolved, you know? I've already asked for a senior tech/installer to come out , and it looks like they've agreed. I'll even tip him a good amount (~$20) if he really does a good job.

There are some people who actually care about the job they do (I had one of those guys before). If DTv only knew how much installers like that are appreciated, they could actually save some money.

#85 OFFLINE   hamltnh

hamltnh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

I've gotten quite a bit already (free 3mo HD, free showtime/starz 6 mo). At this point, I just want it resolved, you know? I've already asked for a senior tech/installer to come out , and it looks like they've agreed. I'll even tip him a good amount (~$20) if he really does a good job.

There are some people who actually care about the job they do (I had one of those guys before). If DTv only knew how much installers like that are appreciated, they could actually save some money.

It's not discussed much, but I think the problem lies with DirecTV--the tech I had said that he is paid $27 for each 5 lnb install--it took him 2 hours to do what he did and if he had done everything he should have, it probably would have taken him at least another hour--that works out to $9 to $13 per hour. The work itself is similar to what an electrician would be trained to do, but professional electricians make roughly double that rate in this area. Bottom line--DirecTV is getting exactly what they pay for--shoddy work that the customer usually ends up fixing. It won't change until they getter better trained techs with the right equipment and that won't happen with pay rates of $9 to $13 per hour.

#86 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:37 AM

MASTEC sucks!. It's been over 4 years since my problems with MASTEC and their crappy service continues. I filed complaints with DirecTV which did nothing except give me a few credits which didn't come close to compensating me for my time dealing with those incompetent A**holes from MASTEC. I will never have someone from that company near my equipment again. I will leave DirecTV before I let them near my equipment. They have no idea what they are doing when they try to install Satellite service.
56TB MSS WHS--32TB unRAID
LED DLP

#87 OFFLINE   dewalt

dewalt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:06 AM

MASTEC sucks!. It's been over 4 years since my problems with MASTEC and their crappy service continues. I filed complaints with DirecTV which did nothing except give me a few credits which didn't come close to compensating me for my time dealing with those incompetent A**holes from MASTEC. I will never have someone from that company near my equipment again. I will leave DirecTV before I let them near my equipment. They have no idea what they are doing when they try to install Satellite service.

I just had a senior tech come out, and he fixed the problem. He was also pretty knowledgeable. He had this tester with him, that tests satellite signals. I asked him if all the techs have one, and he said no. Each tech has to pay for it themselves. What a stupid policy. Why wouldnt you give the newest techs something like a tester?

#88 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:47 PM

I just had a senior tech come out, and he fixed the problem. He was also pretty knowledgeable. He had this tester with him, that tests satellite signals. I asked him if all the techs have one, and he said no. Each tech has to pay for it themselves. What a stupid policy. Why wouldnt you give the newest techs something like a tester?

Was the "Senior Tech" in a D* logo van or was he a subcontractor ? I agree that all techs should be required to have some standard tools/equipment if they are going to perform installations. This is standard operating procedure in any trade.
The guy who resolved your problem was probably the "field rep" who is responsible for fixing the other guys screw ups. I hope that every time that they have to be sent out that the original guy is docked some money from his weekly invoice. Bottom line is that D* just doesn't care about the services provided in the field or they would tighten them up.

#89 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

You have to watch the techs. very carefully--I ended up doing quite a bit of work myself to get the installation exactly the way I wanted it including buying a meter and doing the precision alignment myself. You should demand a great deal in terms of programming credits. The only thing DirecTV and the installation companies understand is $'s, so call customer retention, explain in detail the techs. shoddy work/problems and get some $'s back.

Although I know how incompetent the installers are, its always interesting to read about how stupid they are. I can’t believe that guy used splitters when all he had to do was replace the dish. That is just how bad they are, even when the task is so simple, they can still manage to make things worse off then when they began.

It’s absolutely pointless notifying them of equipment they must bring such as a ladder or other equipment, they will never get the message and if they did they will roll up with the equipment and be happy to say “I can’t do the install” and then drive away. And consider this, which I’m sure you have, all you needed was another dish and its taking 3 different installation appointments, what a joke.

It really really really ticks me off that DTV will not address this problem. They just don’t give a crap and their immediate response is to appease you by offering a few months of HBO or something insignificant like that. Give me a break. Start training your damn techs and stop wasting customers’ time.

#90 OFFLINE   mya23rd

mya23rd

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:32 PM

As some of the previous posters just mentioned, DTV is really responsible for the problem. They are responsible for who they hire to do their installs. I’m sure they pay them nothing for installs but that doesn’t mean they can’t hire better contractors. They just don’t care.

The thing that I don’t get is why they keep bitching about their churn rate being so high. I wonder why. Can’t they make the connection. They blame it on bad and high risk customers, and although that is definitely part of the problem, its not the only part of it. Consider how many customers have had horrible installation experiences; techs that don’t show up, improperly install dish, bad wiring, and the list goes on and on. Consider just in the DC area from all these posts, and now apply that to the rest of the country where I have read very similar posts from almost every state. If you are a DirecTV customer and you have had the unfortunate experience of a horrible install, what are you going to think when he need an upgrade or some repairs or just move to another location. Does DTV really expect you to call them up and have them send out a tech, yeah right! Those painful installation experiences aren’t soon forgotten. I mean its been almost 5 years since my first horrible install and I’m still pissed about it. Now that I want to upgrade to get HD I’m very anxious about having them do the upgrade. I wouldn’t let those Mastec installers even get near my installation. Even though all I need is the new 5 lnb, they are not getting anywhere near my setup. I’m still trying to figure out what to do. Its basically either pay for a professional to come do the install which will cost me another few hundred bucks or just go to Comcast. One things for sure, no DTV installer is getting near my setup.

#91 OFFLINE   Oskee I

Oskee I

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:41 PM

After trying for the last few weeks to tweak my attic-based antenna with mediocre results I decided to take the plunge on the MPEG4 upgrade. The appointment is scheduled for 2 weeks out (first available appt). I also decided to take them up on the OTA antenna offer so for $188 I'll be getting the new dish,
H20 and OTA antenna including installation. Considering what some of the local companies wanted just for the installation of the OTA ant. its a pretty good deal.
I'm just hoping the weather holds until the install and that things go smoothly. It gives me a 1 week buffer before the big game.

BTW, has anybody heard of D* will be making any arrangements to offer the SuperBowl for HD subscribers without local HD ?

DTV set me up with one of the OTA Antenna's and they suck! It is a plastic UFO looking thing and the installer let me know that he'd put it up, but it really wouldn't do much and looking at the thing, it looks cheap. Maybe they just sent me a cheap one and you'll get a better one, but I put the thing in my closet with a 3LNB that DTV send me that I never needed.

#92 OFFLINE   MeadMkr

MeadMkr

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:17 AM

Well, the installer showed up about 2 hours after the initial window they gave but to his credit he did call about 11am (my window was 8-12). No markings on the truck and in talking with him he was a 'subcontractor'. He was upfront with me about the 'piece of crap' that they send for the OTA and we decided not to waste either of our time nor my money so cudo's to him. He had the all gear and was pretty thorough with the install (he really only had to mount the new dish and connect it as it was an upgrade). I gotta get used to the new, slower guide but I have to say that the DC upres looks much, much better than my older Hughes.

So far so good....

#93 OFFLINE   dewalt

dewalt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:27 PM

Was the "Senior Tech" in a D* logo van or was he a subcontractor ? I agree that all techs should be required to have some standard tools/equipment if they are going to perform installations. This is standard operating procedure in any trade.
The guy who resolved your problem was probably the "field rep" who is responsible for fixing the other guys screw ups. I hope that every time that they have to be sent out that the original guy is docked some money from his weekly invoice. Bottom line is that D* just doesn't care about the services provided in the field or they would tighten them up.

The guy was pretty cool. He was in a DTV logo'd van that says "Authorized Installer" on it.

On another note - when I was walking home from work the other day, I noticed something on my roof. Note that it requires a 40-ft ladder to get up there...I noticed that the other dish is STILL UP THERE! How incompetent can you be?

#94 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:03 PM

On another note - when I was walking home from work the other day, I noticed something on my roof. Note that it requires a 40-ft ladder to get up there...I noticed that the other dish is STILL UP THERE! How incompetent can you be?

It sounds like you should happy he did leave it up. Who knows how many would have been left behind to leak water into your roof.:rolleyes:
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#95 OFFLINE   Rob Grim

Rob Grim

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:51 AM

I have a few questions for you guys. I live in the Fredericksburg, Virginia area and was just curious when you call Directv what exactly do you ask for. I'm interested in getting a H20 receiver and 5 LNB dish but until now, I knew nothing about these new setups. I've been with Directv for some 10 years or more and Directv website says nothing about it. Roughly how much out of pocket does it cost for this new setup? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

#96 OFFLINE   HD Man

HD Man

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:30 AM

I have a few questions for you guys. I live in the Fredericksburg, Virginia area and was just curious when you call Directv what exactly do you ask for. I'm interested in getting a H20 receiver and 5 LNB dish but until now, I knew nothing about these new setups. I've been with Directv for some 10 years or more and Directv website says nothing about it. Roughly how much out of pocket does it cost for this new setup? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have been a DTV subscriber for a long time as well, and I had just called the main number last week to ask about getting the 5LNB set-up. I was offered a free 5LNB installation along with a H20 HD receiver to replace one of my older HD receivers, all for no charge. What a deal!! No rebates, etc. It was explained you have to get the H20 in order to get this deal, but free is my favorite type of upgrade. An when the new HD Tivo is available, I will be ready to upgrade on my schedule, but so far, OTA HD is working sufficiently.

The installation is scheduled for this Sat.

#97 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:53 PM

Hello,

I believe the unofficial rule is that if you are an existing HD customer the H20, 5-LNB, Zinwell Multi-Swithc(if needed), and installation are for free. If any cable runs are needed I'm sure that would be extra. Also, it requires a 2-year commitment.

If your not an existing HD subscriber alot of people have been paying $99.00, which still isn't bad. Hey, if your nice, they've been known to throw in 3-months HD Showtime or some other small perks. They've always been fair to me.

If you call and get yourself setup, post back here and let us know. Many of us can give you some tips on things to check up on with the installers, what to expect, etc. Your gonna hear some horror stories from alot of people about the subs D* uses for these installations. I felt comfortable with mine, but others cannot say the same. Most of us here did alot of prep work prior to the installation. Like having the post already set in concrete and all cabling in place.

Make sure your existing cable is RG6 and preferably with all copper center conductor.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#98 OFFLINE   redskin9

redskin9

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:51 AM

I have been a DTV subscriber for a long time as well, and I had just called the main number last week to ask about getting the 5LNB set-up. I was offered a free 5LNB installation along with a H20 HD receiver to replace one of my older HD receivers, all for no charge. What a deal!! No rebates, etc. It was explained you have to get the H20 in order to get this deal, but free is my favorite type of upgrade. An when the new HD Tivo is available, I will be ready to upgrade on my schedule, but so far, OTA HD is working sufficiently.

The installation is scheduled for this Sat.

It is my understanding that the new HD DVR won't be TIVO based. Check out other threads for more info.

#99 OFFLINE   hamltnh

hamltnh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:39 PM

In terms of getting the upgrade for $0 (or less), it helps if you have had the HD package and locals. However, they still tried (initially) to charge me $200 for the 5 LNB dish and 2 H20's (I had 2 H10's). When I mentioned that I had heard that the MPEG2 to MPEG4 conversion would be $0, the rep. quickly offered the upgrade for $0. I think they try to get out of you what they can, but if you come prepared you'll get a good deal.

#100 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:05 PM

Could anybody recommend me a reliable, knowledgable company/technician to re-align my dish in the DC area?

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=54338

Thanks,

Victor
-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

spam firewall