Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AT9 Self Install - DC MPEG4 Locals!!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   linger

linger

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:04 PM

I decided that I did not want to wait for D* to tell me when and how they were going to upgrade me. I bought a H20 receiver a while back for a new TV I got. I then purchased the AT9 dish from Value Elecgtronics and tonight I installed it myself. It took me two hours to install, which I know is a long time, but consider this:

- It was dark
- I have no signal meter
- I had no one helping me
- There were two inches of snow on the ground

I feel that I had a sucess installing it in two hours by myself. Once the receiver was up and running, I now have ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS in SD and HD!!!!!!!!!
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR22-100
HR20-700
H21-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Claus

Claus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:09 PM

Mr. Linger
Congratulations! Please, how did you do it without a signal meter? Did you use signal meter in H-20? Did you take TV to the roof? We must know!
Claus

#3 OFFLINE   linger

linger

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:11 PM

I have outdoor speakers hooked up to my A/V receiver in my living room which is hooked up to my H20. So i listed for the tones from that.
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR22-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#4 OFFLINE   linger

linger

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:12 PM

I have outdoor speakers hooked up to my A/V receiver in my living room which is hooked up to my H20. So i listed for the tones from that.

That would be I listened to my speakers not listed
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR22-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#5 OFFLINE   Claus

Claus

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:17 PM

Mr. Linger
The AT9 instructions say you must move dish left/right when unlocked and look for levels with great precision in order to get perfect peak job when locked. Can you do this ok with only sound? I do not think so.
Claus

#6 OFFLINE   linger

linger

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:36 PM

No I didn't do that. But I am getting 88+ signals on all sats. In fact, only one is below 90. I have to say that I think I just got lucky. But I set the tilt and elevation according to what the receiver said, and then lined my azmuth as close as I could with a compas. Then I slowly turned it until I felt that I was hearing the peak signal. I tightened everything down at that point and went inside to see what quality signals I was getting from different sats and different transponders. With the quality I was getting, I didn't want to change anything and risk messing anything up.

On another note, I am not getting anyting from sat 99, but I am getting all of my local HD channels. The installation manual says that not all sats are active and that is why you must be precise in your alignement so you don't have to mess with it later when the other sat goes acitve. Well then there is a very good possiblilty that I might be missing that one and have to re-align the dish at a later point.
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR22-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#7 OFFLINE   DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Legend

• No PM's
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

I decided that I did not want to wait for D* to tell me when and how they were going to upgrade me. I bought a H20 receiver a while back for a new TV I got. I then purchased the AT9 dish from Value Elecgtronics and tonight I installed it myself. It took me two hours to install, which I know is a long time, but consider this:

- It was dark
- I have no signal meter

I feel that I had a sucess installing it in two hours by myself. Once the receiver was up and running, I now have ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS in SD and HD!!!!!!!!!

Great job!

-Robert
Value Electronics

#8 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:11 PM

- It was dark
- I have no signal meter

Don't forget. It's cold as hell around thuis area.:)
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#9 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:51 AM

Linger, I'm IMPRESSED!! Great Job. Thats the highest signals of heard of anyone getting on the H20. Even though they keep pointing to the LNB as being bad, I still tend to think its pointing the dish is the problem. I may just try to redo it myself Friday evening, before they come out Saturday.

#10 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:19 AM

Linger, I'm IMPRESSED!! Great Job. Thats the highest signals of heard of anyone getting on the H20. Even though they keep pointing to the LNB as being bad, I still tend to think its pointing the dish is the problem. I may just try to redo it myself Friday evening, before they come out Saturday.

I would as well. If anything you should be able to put it back the way it was and not go backwards. If your getting all of your channels, you can't be that far off.

Good Luck.

AT9 to SWM16

#11 OFFLINE   f300v10

f300v10

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:26 PM

No I didn't do that. But I am getting 88+ signals on all sats. In fact, only one is below 90. I have to say that I think I just got lucky. But I set the tilt and elevation according to what the receiver said, and then lined my azmuth as close as I could with a compas. Then I slowly turned it until I felt that I was hearing the peak signal. I tightened everything down at that point and went inside to see what quality signals I was getting from different sats and different transponders. With the quality I was getting, I didn't want to change anything and risk messing anything up.

On another note, I am not getting anyting from sat 99, but I am getting all of my local HD channels. The installation manual says that not all sats are active and that is why you must be precise in your alignement so you don't have to mess with it later when the other sat goes acitve. Well then there is a very good possiblilty that I might be missing that one and have to re-align the dish at a later point.

The sat for 99 (Spaceway2) is not in geostationary orbit yet, so no problem there. And if you are getting good levels from the other 4 sats then 99 has to work once it gets there, the geometry of the dish forces it to. If not, then D* will have to send a tech to re-point all the AT9 dishes currently being istalled.

#12 OFFLINE   sb40

sb40

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:41 PM

- It was dark
- I have no signal meter

Good job on the install, D* installed my dish and I don't have that good of a signal.:nono2:

:confused: Have you had luck with OTA ?

I now get OTA signals as far as 32.9 miles away, as with my old STB I received only 6 stations now I receive 11 !:D Oh and this is off an indoor amp RCA rabbit ears.

I hope you have as much luck.

#13 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:57 PM

I just hung up the phone w/ D* trying to activate a replacement HR10-250. I was told they would have to call me back. Knowing many other posts were indidcating that they too were waiting for returns calls to schedule the MPEG4 upgrades.

He told me the computers weren't down because of any type of hardware "failure" but that they were getting an "upgrade".

I had a major brain cramp in the middle of trying to give him the card and s/n's and such I forgot to ask if in his opinion why they would be upgrading the "system" now of all times with having to expect an overwhelming amount of phones. I lucked out I called at 7:15 this a.m. and got order placed and WO# given.

Anybody hear of this and any idea what "upgrade" could be occurring taking all day affecting not just the install dept. but the simple task of activiating a reciever.

30-minutes later: I called back their systems were still down. (Only HD reciever-trying to get it replaccement re-activated). I asked why they were down and the CSR said they're performing and "upgrade" and that all she knew. Take it for what's worth. Who knows?

AT9 to SWM16

#14 OFFLINE   labmansid

labmansid

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:10 PM

Linger, quick question. After you got the dish installed, did you have to call to turn on the HD locals from D*, or did they just show up once the AT9 was up. I will probably do a self install sometime fairly soon as well. Glad to know it can be done! :)

#15 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:38 PM

Linger,

Outstanding job! You give all us DIY'ers hope.

There are a lot of posters running afraid of this install. Did you consider this to be a difficult install? And are you a basic handyman, expert carpenter, or something inbetween? (I presume you no longer can be called a total stranger to tools...) :)

Thanks again,
Tom

#16 OFFLINE   LockMD

LockMD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:24 AM

Linger, question by doing this with your tv and no meter (I might try this tonight)
when setting the azimuth on 101, tilt 119, and elevation 101. Witch transponder should you be peaking?

#17 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:07 PM

There are a lot of posters running afraid of this install. Did you consider this to be a difficult install? Tom

I wouldn't say we are all running scared. I've moved twice, installed 3-lnb, and a total of 12 runs between both house, plus multi-switch. I'm not doing it myself because my "deal" w/ D* is costing me nothing but time spent.:)

AT9 to SWM16

#18 OFFLINE   nmstough

nmstough

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:03 PM

I heard there was a big snow in DC. How does the signal strength of the new dish hold up under those conditions?

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:01 AM

I wouldn't say we are all running scared. I've moved twice, installed 3-lnb, and a total of 12 runs between both house, plus multi-switch. I'm not doing it myself because my "deal" w/ D* is costing me nothing but time spent.:)

HDTVsportsfan,

Didn't mean to imply everyone is, or that anyone in particular is--I'm not afraid of this one at all. But I have seen lots of "looks much harder than 3lnb", "more complicated", type postings. To me the install looks like any basic install followed by a very reasonable fine-tuning system for peaking. (But then I'm used to a fine-tuning mechanism from my Phase II dish. Very simplistic, but it was handy.)

I'm glad Linger managed this one for us DIY'ers and extremely impressed he was able to peak so successfully without a professional meter!

BTW, you don't need explain why or why not you are installing--I respect you from your posts. Keep up the great job. And as you point out--any of us might get a kickass deal--why do the install if someone can do it for us--if we can find one we can trust :)

May all the upgrades be good, clean, and free!
Tom

#20 OFFLINE   Jimmy the Dish

Jimmy the Dish

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:27 PM

Good job linger! When that snow dissappeares I'd try to lock 103 in higher. You should be able to lock that in at 96+. The reason I mention that is Dish will be transmitting close to that and you might get some interference on that KU orbittal slot.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...