Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Recording from 921 to another DVR

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Witsend5255

Witsend5255

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:00 AM

Is there anyway a person can record recorded programs on a 921 to another DVR?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:21 AM

Yes, and without violation of the DMCA either, but it takes about $125,000 worth of equipment. The expensive way utilizes the analog hole method. Currently this is still legal way to make a copy.

#3 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:51 AM

If the 'other DVR' is a stand-alone TiVo or Replay, it should work fine.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#4 OFFLINE   Witsend5255

Witsend5255

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:14 AM

If the 'other DVR' is a stand-alone TiVo or Replay, it should work fine.

Is there a simple way to connect the two dvr's together or is it more complex? Thanks for your input

#5 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:31 AM

I think Simple Simon was talking about a standard definition DVR using analog video/audio transfer. You said 921 and I assume you want to transfer the HD programming which can't be done without resorting to either of the two methods I referenced.

#6 OFFLINE   Witsend5255

Witsend5255

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:56 AM

I think Simple Simon was talking about a standard definition DVR using analog video/audio transfer. You said 921 and I assume you want to transfer the HD programming which can't be done without resorting to either of the two methods I referenced.

The shows I want to transfer would be in standard definition. Instead of using a dvr, could one hook up a vcr instead?

#7 OFFLINE   parttimedevotion

parttimedevotion

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:25 AM

I wanna hook my DVD player or My Play Station 2 into my DVR and Record but I don't know how to switch my DVR to a setting somthing like a VIDEO channel like when I would record CGs from Final Fantasy on my VCR. My DVR has the red yellow white for audio vidio but how do I record through that or even get a picture from that sorce?
Two roads diverge in a yellow wood and sad I was that I could not travel both--Robert Frost--

#8 OFFLINE   jergenf

jergenf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

I wanna hook my DVD player or My Play Station 2 into my DVR and Record but I don't know how to switch my DVR to a setting somthing like a VIDEO channel like when I would record CGs from Final Fantasy on my VCR. My DVR has the red yellow white for audio vidio but how do I record through that or even get a picture from that sorce?

You can hook up a DVD player or Play Station 2 to the video input yellow=video, white+red=left+right (located near the green, blue, red connections) of the 921 and view them on channel 0. However none of these dishnetwork DVRs can record from analog inputs.

If you want to make recording of your DVDs or games then you should connect them to another recording device like a VCR or DVD recorder.

#9 OFFLINE   jergenf

jergenf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:38 PM

To hook a VCR or DVD recorder use the output #1 (closest to the DVI connector) connection yellow=video, white+red=left+right and s-video (if have have that on your input on your VCR or DVD recorder. You'll need to switch to SD mode on the remote or front panel. Your VCR or DVD recorder should have it outputs to another set of video/s-video input of your monitor so you can view what you're recoding on them.

Realize that you'll send and view SD only (even if you playing HD program on the 921). Also you may have the use the format button in interesting ways. Example: [assuming your monitor is wide] If the recording is going to played back on the VCR or DVD recorder on any widescreen monitor then set to stretch.

If it's going to be played back on a 4:3 (different) monitor set the 921 format to letterbox (or gray bars if you prefer) if the program is in widescreen else leave as stretch (both methods may apperar stretched on you monitor but not on a 4:3 monitor).

#10 OFFLINE   Witsend5255

Witsend5255

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:00 PM

To hook a VCR or DVD recorder use the output #1 (closest to the DVI connector) connection yellow=video, white+red=left+right and s-video (if have have that on your input on your VCR or DVD recorder. You'll need to switch to SD mode on the remote or front panel. Your VCR or DVD recorder should have it outputs to another set of video/s-video input of your monitor so you can view what you're recoding on them.

Realize that you'll send and view SD only (even if you playing HD program on the 921). Also you may have the use the format button in interesting ways. Example: [assuming your monitor is wide] If the recording is going to played back on the VCR or DVD recorder on any widescreen monitor then set to stretch.

If it's going to be played back on a 4:3 (different) monitor set the 921 format to letterbox (or gray bars if you prefer) if the program is in widescreen else leave as stretch (both methods may apperar stretched on you monitor but not on a 4:3 monitor).

Thanks for the info.

#11 OFFLINE   parttimedevotion

parttimedevotion

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:07 PM

Alot of my DVDs are protected against copy via DVD-R plus, of course, the great fact that I don't have to mess W/ that whole getting up off the couch to put in a DVD bull-jive. But what ever the DVR - DVD-R combo Is the best I mean I makeing my own full season DVD sets Disc after disc of CSI, Law & Order SVU, Its amazing that I went so long watching TV like a sap, I LOVE YOU DVR......Now back on topic
Two roads diverge in a yellow wood and sad I was that I could not travel both--Robert Frost--

#12 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:06 PM

Yep. jergenf pretty much covered it in his post. I've had good success recording to a DVD-R recorder with the methods he posted. Actually, for SDTV the quality is pretty good off the S-video and from a HDTV program using that letterboxed method.

#13 OFFLINE   xbey

xbey

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:18 PM

sorry to bring back an old topic, but perhaps you can help a newb out. i was thinking about upgrading to either the 942, or the 622 when available...but i want to get my 921 DVR recorded programs to the new receiver...not to mention a PocketDish i just got as a gift... is that going to be possible...???

any suggestions...???

thanks in advance.

is that going to

#14 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:30 AM

DVR to DVR is not possible, at least not E* to E* DVR (pocket dish being the exception, however I don't believe Pocket dish is supported by the 921 anyway). Perhaps a standalone DVR would accept a line-in video recording, but I'm not sure. I have backed up recordings off my 921 to VHS. Since my TV set is an SD analog, there was nothing to change on 921 (i.e. I'm not using the HD output so I don't have to switch out of HD before recording).
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#15 OFFLINE   tecman

tecman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:20 AM

sorry to bring back an old topic, but perhaps you can help a newb out. i was thinking about upgrading to either the 942, or the 622 when available...but i want to get my 921 DVR recorded programs to the new receiver...not to mention a PocketDish i just got as a gift... is that going to be possible...???

any suggestions...???

thanks in advance.

is that going to

I copied recordings from my 921 (before it died) to a replayTV. It worked fine. Just follow the instructions you quoted from jergenf.

spam firewall