Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does 942 require HD subscription for HD OTA?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jlee1060

jlee1060

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:03 AM

Ideally all I want is the basic America's Top 60 subscription and an HD DVR that can tune & record HD locals over OTA. The only HD channels I really care to watch are my HD locals, all of which I get for free with my OTA antenna. I'm wondering if I can just buy (or lease) the 942, subscribe to Top 60 with locals, and then have the HD locals show up on the 942's programming guide. I looking for a relatively low cost subscription solution, and am willing to pay a higher upfront fee to get it.

I would be a new subscriber, if that might help. I don't trust what the Dish CSRs tell me, especially if they force me into a 1 or 2 year agreement.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jlee1060

jlee1060

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:06 AM

Sorry, just found a thread that seems to indicate the answer is: yes, I could do this if I'm willing to pay for the 942 and not enter the lease.

#3 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:45 AM

That is exactly right. As long as you own the 942 you are not required to subscribe to the HD pack. However, if you are leasing it, you must subscribe to the HD pack at all times.

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:03 PM

And either way, Dish does not allow you to see the guide for locals unless you subscribe to the locals package. The DVR fee is supposed to include name-based recording but you can't use that for digital locals unless you pay again for the guide info that comes with locals.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#5 OFFLINE   the_bear

the_bear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:10 PM

I you are tech-savvy, you could get one of Dish’s free SD DVRs for sat and a PC ASTC tuner card for OTA, but the 942 would be more convenient because it is only one box.

spam firewall