Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comcast SportsNet New York?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JJaret

JJaret

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:00 PM

Any news on whether D* will carry this RSN? This is a new RSN that will carry the Mets. It is owned by the Mets, Time Warner and Comcast. My fear is that they will keep it off D* like Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia in order to lure subscribers back to cable in NY Metro area. I'm a Met fan who lives on the west coast. If D* doesn't carry the network, it will severly limit the number of Mets' games on the MLB package, as the package only carries games that air on the RSNs carried by D*.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:54 PM

The last I heard, D* already agreed to carry it.

#3 OFFLINE   JJaret

JJaret

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:36 PM

The last I heard, D* already agreed to carry it.

The only thing I was able to find is that they have agreed to carry Comcast SportsNet West from northern California.

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:51 PM

I read it in one of the local NY Papers a while back. They said that DirecTV was already on board for the launch.

#5 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:51 PM

The loophole that permits Comcast to keeps CSN-Philly off of DBS is based on microwave distribution. Possible in the flat and small Philly region. Not possible for the Mets, who claim all of New York state.

#6 OFFLINE   JJaret

JJaret

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:13 PM

I read it in one of the local NY Papers a while back. They said that DirecTV was already on board for the launch.

Thanks for the info.

#7 OFFLINE   Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ zip code 08008

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:52 PM

Oh give me a break, there are way too many sports networks already and 90% of trhe time they're airing the EXACT SAME THING.

What a waste of bandwidth...

-------------------------
Note to DirecTV:
My Zip code is 08008.

I live 60 miles East of Philadelphia.

I'm 83 miles South of NY.

Comcast provides KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WHYY, WPHL, WTXF, WPSG & WMCN all in both SD & HD in Ocean County.
Why don't you?

#8 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:15 PM

Not really as this one will be airing totally original programming as this one isn't a member of Fox Sports Net.

(BTW, you should remove Trio from that list in your sig, as they're ceasing programming at the end of the year)

#9 OFFLINE   NVBlue

NVBlue

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:38 PM

No Cal Sports net has been on for many months on channel 656. They show the Sac Kings BBall games.

#10 OFFLINE   hla35

hla35

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:58 AM

Are you positive that Dirctv will carry the Mets? Which paper did you see it in?

#11 OFFLINE   Ronmort

Ronmort

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:45 AM

As far as too many sports channels, the many Dish and DTV customers in the NYC region would like to see their local teams. Without the varied sports channels, they would not be able to watch their own local teams. Those who don't like sports will only see their local sports channels unless they decide to pay extra for the Multi-sports or the sports pak packages, and there are some sports fans who shell out extra for the NBA LP, MLB EI, and NHL CI provide important revenues for the cable and satellite companies to purchase programming, update equipment, etc. I think it's counter-productive for those who constantly bemoan the demand for more sports. Sports programming is expensive, but so aren't the costs of buying sports. For example, I purchase the NBA and MLB packages that is over $300 a year in addition to all the other programming I buy, but I would never want someone else's favorite programming knocked off whether I watch them or not. To each his own. There is room for all kinds of viewers on satellite.

#12 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:45 AM

If its true that D* has already signed on thats great I was hoping they would. Now if they would get the new Indians RSN I will really be a happy camper!
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#13 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:02 PM

Are you positive that Dirctv will carry the Mets? Which paper did you see it in?

It was either in the NY Post or Daily News.

#14 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

The official launch date for Sportsnet NY has been announced on their website: March 16. Here is a link to the press release:

http://sportsnetny.c...launch-date.pdf

#15 OFFLINE   DVDDAD

DVDDAD

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:34 PM

The official launch date for Sportsnet NY has been announced on their website: March 16. Here is a link to the press release:

http://sportsnetny.c...launch-date.pdf

Notice what wasn't said in the press release? Where you will be able see this new channel from. My calls today to Dish, Cablevision and DirecTV all had the same results. Basically they all said they expect to carry it, but do not have a deal worked out yet. I don't think that you can count on DirecTV carrying it yet. Until a press release is published, we'll have to take the previous poster who said that he read that DirecTV was on board, with a grain of salt.
Best regards, Adam Okula
http://www.aokagency.com

#16 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:37 AM

Notice what wasn't said in the press release? Where you will be able see this new channel from. My calls today to Dish, Cablevision and DirecTV all had the same results. Basically they all said they expect to carry it, but do not have a deal worked out yet. I don't think that you can count on DirecTV carrying it yet. Until a press release is published, we'll have to take the previous poster who said that he read that DirecTV was on board, with a grain of salt.

Out of the 3 companies you mentioned I would say DirecTV is most likely to carry it, while Cablevision is probably least likely based on their history.

#17 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:54 PM

wow

so nyc has 4 rsn"s ?

yes
fsny
msg
ccsn-ny
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#18 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:22 PM

wow

so nyc has 4 rsn"s ?

yes
fsny
msg
ccsn-ny

YES = Yankees (summer) and NJ Nets (winter)
FSNY = Devils (winter) and Islanders (winter)
MSG = Knicks (winter) and Rangers (winter)
CSN NY = Mets (summer)

As you can see, all of these networks have a diluted pro schedule. With the exception of YES, each network only has professional games for either winter or summer. It will be interesting to see how long FSNY and MSG both last with their lacking summer sports schedule. Furthermore, the Devils will be moving to YES in another year or two. So that will leave FSNY with the Islanders as their only professional sports team - and you don't find many Isles fans around here.

#19 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:38 PM

I THINK....Im not sure but I THINK that the Devils re-signed with FSN for another few years. They HAD been planning a move to YES but that was when Steinbrenner still had a piece of the team. After he sold out that plan to have them on YES blew up.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#20 OFFLINE   DVDDAD

DVDDAD

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:56 PM

This posted at the other site:

Don’t hold your breath for SportsNet NY. Here is the email I received from Ergen:

Dear Christopher,

we will negotiate with the RSN. the current pricing we have heard is almost as much as the YES network and of course the cable companies own the RSN so we dont have an answer yet.

charlie
Best regards, Adam Okula
http://www.aokagency.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...