Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving soon - Have a few questions.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Patrick G.

Patrick G.

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:35 PM

Okay, I will be moving about 60 miles at the end of the month. I am currently a DirecTV subscriber using 3 receivers in 3 different rooms. The main room/receiver is a dual-tuner SD DirecTivo. I’m not exactly sure which dishes I’m using (I’m writing this on the spur of the moment), but there are 2 of them on the roof. When I move to my new house, I would like to have whatever dish(es) are necessary to “future-proof” (if there is such a thing) me as well as possible. I want to be able to use a dual-tuner HD DVR (when I decide to purchase one), and be able to receive all available locals in HD… basically any and all available programming. How do I go about getting this done with DirecTV? A few follow-up questions:

1. Will they run cables professionally (inside the walls) to all rooms?
2. How much out-of-pocket can I expect for this? I’m assuming this all won’t be part of the “mover’s package”.
3. What type/model dish(es) am I looking for?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:03 PM

You are asking in the wrong place. Ask Directv directly what they will charge you. Right now an AT9 would be the most future proof dish available that will cost you at least $99 and probably won't be available seeing it is in short supply for those areas that need them for MPEG4.

#3 OFFLINE   sheepishlion

sheepishlion

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:19 PM

DirecTV offers a free Mover's Connection with a one year commitment. They will bring a new dish, and wire your new house for your existing equipment. The dish will be compatable with the existing equipment.

When you get ready to upgrade to an HD or HD-DVR, they offer installation of that, and at that time will come and upgrade your dish so that it is compatable with HD programming. If you want it all now, you can contact DirecTV and see if they will be able to do that for you.

As far as HD locals, I suggest you contact DirecTV, and they can tell you if your market has HD locals available, or if there are plans to offer them in your area. For any other questions, I agree with boba, contact DirecTV, and they will have more answers.

#4 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:09 PM

I've used the movers connection a couple times and its worked very well for me. On top of that, during the move to this house, I added several HD TiVos and got free install of them too.

If you are a good customer, good standing, etc., you should be able to get some great deals. Asking nicely and asking for Customer Retention works.

Cheers,
Tom

#5 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:03 PM

I've also been using "Mover's Connection" lately. But I doubt they will do any "in wall" feeds unless you pay extra for them. Sometimes "extra" involves cash to the installer. Out here in AZ they run the cable outside the house and drill a hole. But there are very few basements and attics out here.

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:22 AM

Yeah, in wall, in crawl, and even some in attic they will ask for more money. I've had some ask for a $20 tip to do crawl and attic. And I know one instation company that has a standard charge of $70/hour for in wall fishing. Since I do my own, I can only blame myself for the results. :)

Cheers,
Tom

#7 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:02 AM

For the in-wall fishing, be careful if the installer offers you a "discounted" charge if you make the check out to him personally rather than the installation company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...