Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving to HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vicrock

vicrock

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:06 PM

We have subscribed to E* for 6 years - have a Dish 500, with two receivers, and Seattle locals.

In anticipation of buying a BIG HD ready TV, I'd like some guidance about options for upgrading E* service/equipment.

What is the procedure/expense involved?

It seems like the locals aren't coming in in HD?

We have a Pioneer DVR (TIVO/recorder) hooked up now - really no need for a Dish PVR - but it would be nice to have a feed that would allow recording of one station while watching another.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dwcobb

dwcobb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:54 PM

Others maybe be able to answer this better, but you sound like you are somewhat in the boat I was in.

Upgrade guidance:

You will need the 942 box. Officially, you have to pay $798 and buy it outright. Some people claim to have been successful getting the new customer lease deal ($250, plus a monthly fee). If you can get it, get the lease deal. However, officially, leasing will not be an option for you.

Other expense might include upgrading your dish to a dish 1000. This will cost, as I understand it, something like $100. It will be needed for you to pull down the Voom channels. I have my 500 still; I have tried 2x now to get the upgrade to the 1000 to get Voom, but have been disconnected both times. At any rate, it will work with your dish for the regular HD channels, but Voom will need the 1000 I am pretty certain (true for SF, assume it is for Seattle too).

HD locals can be pulled down with the OTA tuner built into your box. If you are reasonably close to the towers this works well. There is a great website for info about OTA antennas that you can search by address. Antennaweb or something.

On the Tivo, abandon all hope now. It will look crappy on your new TV. I had a regular series 2 Tivo, and the issue is that the quality of the video connections was very poor. You essentially are downconverting your digital signal to analog before putting it into your TV. Unless by some fluke your Tivo has an HDMI connecter (I don't think any besides the D* HD Tivo DVR do) or the other high def digital connection I am forgetting (DVI? somethinglike that), you will hate, hate, hate the PQ using an SD Tivo in your setup. Even component would be a compromise in quality that you won't want, and the bigger your screen, the more you will see it.

I tried to continue using my Tivo for a couple of weeks after I got my TV (I didn't get the HD channels right away). It was absolutely unbearable, and I only have a 37" screen. It was just depressing to have the very expensive TV look like crap compared to the old $500 CRT, and I had to set my Tivo aside (very very sadly).

Go with the 942. It is a big adjustment, but has all the same key features if not the warm and fuzzy interface.

#3 OFFLINE   vicrock

vicrock

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:43 PM

>>You will need the 942 box. Officially, you have to pay $798 and buy it outright. Some people claim to have been successful getting the new customer lease deal ($250, plus a monthly fee). If you can get it, get the lease deal. However, officially, leasing will not be an option for you.

That is a huge expense - would probably be better to switch to D* and get all the signup freebies!

>>Other expense might include upgrading your dish to a dish 1000. This will cost, as I understand it, something like $100. It will be needed for you to pull down the Voom channels. I have my 500 still; I have tried 2x now to get the upgrade to the 1000 to get Voom, but have been disconnected both times. At any rate, it will work with your dish for the regular HD channels, but Voom will need the 1000 I am pretty certain (true for SF, assume it is for Seattle too).

Something else to look at.

>>HD locals can be pulled down with the OTA tuner built into your box. If you are reasonably close to the towers this works well. There is a great website for info about OTA antennas that you can search by address. Antennaweb or something.

No chance of this - we are on the reverse slope looking at Canada - there is NO OTA US reception at all - we can get one Canadian channel.

>>On the Tivo, abandon all hope now. It will look crappy on your new TV. I had a regular series 2 Tivo, and the issue is that the quality of the video connections was very poor. You essentially are downconverting your digital signal to analog before putting it into your TV. Unless by some fluke your Tivo has an HDMI connecter (I don't think any besides the D* HD Tivo DVR do) or the other high def digital connection I am forgetting (DVI? somethinglike that), you will hate, hate, hate the PQ using an SD Tivo in your setup. Even component would be a compromise in quality that you won't want, and the bigger your screen, the more you will see it.

I really like this unit, because it has a burner as well as a TIVO - makes it easy to archive shows.

#4 OFFLINE   dwcobb

dwcobb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:32 PM

You might want to put the Tivo on a secondary TV? If you have an SD TV in your overall setup, the Tivo box will work just fine with E*. But I can pretty much guarantee you will be disappointed if you try to pass your HD signal through it.

Also, I know some of the "third party" Tivo boxes have bigger hard drives but bear in mind that a typical HD DVR has a 250GB hard drive in it, and that only holds about 25h of HD programming.

My old Tivo had a 40GB harddrive in it.

I don't really know if an SD Tivo can even store HD content to be honest. I am under the impression it can't, but I never tried it that way myself.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...